Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

need help, lost keys

Nellcorn
Explorer
Explorer
Hello to everyone.
I'm new here and I hope, this forum can help me.
I have lost my key fob from my 2020 Silverado, I contacted dealer and they quoted like $600. plus gotta tow the car there!!! This is way too expensive... Any cheaper solutions that anyone has come across maybe? Any advice highly appreciated! Thanks in advance
16 REPLIES 16

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Holymoley Thomas, I would have done the same thing on the wife's Highlander. I gotta converse with google or the manual on that one.

ON edit, after reviewing some youtubes, I learned nothing about frying the fob. Enlighten me on the trick please.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
One of the problems you may run into is many dealers are no longer providing the necessary information based on VIN. They have closed off access to the system except for in-person service. This was due to (and it was reported here on RV Net awhile back) criminals were accessing the databases through employees at dealerships and making duplicate keys for cars they intended to steal. As a result, some dealers will not allow access unless it's being done at their dealership or though some form of authorized contractor. Fred the licensed locksmith may not be able anymore to get the information they need to do the work. Now, this is only when you don't have any of the original or a clone fob.

I ko'd a smart key fob for our 2019 Toyota Highlander attempting to change the battery (a story in itself). Anyway, called a local locksmith, no joy. Took it to the dealership, $250 for a new fob and $130 "programming charge". They needed the replacement fob, the remaining original fob and the vehicle. Service advisor said a complete reprogram of the system is required, and yes apparently only a Toyota dealer can do it. A Toyota thing? I dunno, I just needed a functioning key fob and the dealer took care of it. PS: service advisor showed me how to remove the #$!& battery before I left. :S

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
transponder keys:

this statement "Transponder chip keys โ€“ these types of keys must be coded on site with a special machine, otherwise the car wont start. These are more expensive to make"

is to encompasing of a blanket statement. Many transponder keys do NOT require on site coding with special machines. An example is many GM keys. You order the key by VIN number, after showing proof of ownership. When you get the keys if you have TWO working keys, you can easily program them yourself in the car including such things as the "valet" or "teenager" mode restrictions. If you don't have two working keys, then it is more complex and a locksmith or dealer needs to program them.

GM transponder keys in 2016 were around $40 each, Fobs more expensive of course.

More and more mfg are requiring proof of ownership to get replacement or spare keys. Recent interaction with GM, MB, and Acura dealerships, they require registration showing proof of ownership, valid ID matching, take your picture, have you sign documents before they are allowed to even order a replacement key or fob. In some cases they require the vehicle to also be present.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
One of the problems you may run into is many dealers are no longer providing the necessary information based on VIN. They have closed off access to the system except for in-person service. This was due to (and it was reported here on RV Net awhile back) criminals were accessing the databases through employees at dealerships and making duplicate keys for cars they intended to steal. As a result, some dealers will not allow access unless it's being done at their dealership or though some form of authorized contractor. Fred the licensed locksmith may not be able anymore to get the information they need to do the work. Now, this is only when you don't have any of the original or a clone fob.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Nellcorn
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone,
Thanks a lot for your help. I already found a solution!

I just wanted to post an update, after a long research I did, here is what I came up with.

First, here is a great article with some ideas on how to find lost car keys.

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IT OUT BEFORE YOU CALL FOR SERVICE:
https://lost-car-keys-replacement.com/blog/how-to-find-your-lost-car-keys/

Hopefully, you wont need any service ๐Ÿ˜‰

I guess there is a huge difference between different keys, models, etc.
Also locksmiths and dealers charge different amounts for the very same key.
It helped me save a lot of money (more than $200).

Generally speaking, to get a replacement key, you have three options:
1.Call an automotive locksmith that offers a mobile service for cars. Here is a phone number for a company that have many different locations and locksmiths: 800-223-1453. I think they work all around the US but not sure. Give them a call and ask.
2.Tow the car to the dealer.
3.Order a key online and have the dealer or locksmith cut and program it for you (if necessary).
Here is the link to read more:
https://lost-car-keys-replacement.com/chevy/silverado/

If you do call a locksmith or the dealer, donโ€™t forget to mention some important information so they will check if they have the key blank and the necessary tools to code you the new key:
1.Year, make and model of the car
2.Your exact location including street address and zip (for the locksmith to find you easily)
3.VIN number of the car located on the dashboard โ€“ very important
4.Make sure you can show them proof of ownership โ€“ otherwise they will not make you a new replacement key.

Regarding the cost, it really depends on the type of key you had.
There are 3 main types of keys:
Non-chip keys: for older models (mostly 2000 and older)
Transponder chip keys โ€“ these types of keys must be coded on site with a special machine, otherwise the car wont start. These are more expensive to make
Key fob โ€“ push to start โ€“ these are the most expensive types of keys. Mostly made for models made after 2012.
The average cost is somewhere between $200-$460. It also depends on your location, time of day, weekend, etc etc.
Here is the link for some additional information:
https://lost-car-keys-replacement.com/blog/car-keys-replacement-cost/

Good luck!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Depends on how fast you want the new key.
You can do a search for replacement keys on line.

https://www.keylessentryremotefob.com/shop-by-car-make/chevrolet/silverado/2020-chevrolet-silverado/

https://www.amazon.com/5-Button-Compatible-2019-2020-Chevrolet-Silverado/dp/B085GM2RYD

Are two I found with a quick google search on 2020 silverado replacement key

getting a key is the easy part. programming it so it will start the car is the harder part. In many cases easy peasy if you have working keys/remotes.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on how fast you want the new key.
You can do a search for replacement keys on line.

https://www.keylessentryremotefob.com/shop-by-car-make/chevrolet/silverado/2020-chevrolet-silverado/

https://www.amazon.com/5-Button-Compatible-2019-2020-Chevrolet-Silverado/dp/B085GM2RYD

Are two I found with a quick google search on 2020 silverado replacement key
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ah, progress. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
on my 2015 GM as long as you had TWO working keys, all you needed to do was get unprogrammed keys from GM, and then could program them yourself.

If you don't have TWO working keys, your at the mercy of GM to get a replacement key. So, as soon as I got the truck I ordered 4 extra keys, programmed them. that way each trailer has a spare key and I still have a couple of extra's in the house.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
And this is why I made two extra keys when I bought my F150. I cloned them myself with the help of you-tube. All four keys are now "originals" that I can use any two of my existing keys to clone more if I loose one.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
So a locksmith opens your truck, now what??? FOB is still needed with a push to start rig.

If you were existing on "ONE" FOB that means you already lost one. If I am correct then I can't say anything but get your rig towed. Hope you have Roadside Assistance! Then just hope the Dealer offers "LUBE". ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't have any of the two original fobs (or a subsequent clone), you're at the mercy of the GM dealers. If you have one of the original fobs (or a prior clone) any reputable locksmith can make a duplicate and program it into the vehicle's system.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Just checked again, it looks like the fobs are way cheaper
Now, like 75 $ see if you can get a place to clone it.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I dont know how the new ones work( i should get a 3rd) . But on the old ones you could make a 3rd if you had 2 fobs. If not they say they have to reboot the computer and program both. Some places said they could clone the first fob, a little cheaper. But it would only work as the orginal one and not give presets or alow you to make a 3rd. The new ones with the keys inside are more money. I think I looked when i bought the truck and the fob alone with a blank key and unprogramed was like 320.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.