Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New polar cub Mach 8 AC and the Honda eu2000i question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > New polar cub Mach 8 AC and the Honda eu2000i question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
otrfun

On The Road

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/07/21 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dodgemahal wrote:

. . . I see dozens of cheap generators on the market. I bought one and I hate it. So anything with a Honda motor is a possibility. But back to my question on output. I need something bigger than the eu2200i correct? I am not into turning breakers off to run my AC on a small generator.
I am wondering how people are running the mach 8 on a 2K output . . . .

Oh I forgot to mention I am getting a soft start from micro air no matter what generator I end up with.
As a lot of folks have already mentioned, the Honda EU2200 should easily run your Mach 8 with the Micro Air Easy Start installed. However, if you power the a/c with the EU2200 while your batteries are significantly discharged, odds are the EU2200 will go into overload. You'll need at least a 3000 watt generator if you want the ability to charge discharged batteries while also powering the a/c.

You mentioned a preference for Honda. If you decide to go with a larger Honda, note there's a significant difference in portability between the EU2200 (~55 lbs.w/fuel) and the EU3000iS (~150 lbs. w/fuel). Honda does make a lighter, more portable 3000w generator called the Honda EU3000i "Handi" (100 lbs. w/fuel). Honda used to rate the Handi at 57-65db, but now rates it 52-58db. The EU3000iS has a long-held reputation for being extremely quiet with a 50-57db rating. I've heard a number of Handi's under full load over the years--they're much louder than the EU3000iS. Unless Honda has made some significant changes to the Handi exhaust system recently, I don't see how the current 52-58db rating could be even remotely accurate.

Dodgemahal

Idaho panhandle

New Member

Joined: 09/29/2019

View Profile



Posted: 12/07/21 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

3 tons wrote:

Switch off the onboard converter-charger at the breaker - Honda cant handle both loads simultaneously…

3 tons

Inverter/charger should automatically switch to battery power when generator voltage drops.
Some of them also can be programmed to max W draw from the shore power, what will be even better.
You program 2000W max draw and inverter/charger does the rest.


OP never mentioned an inverter-charger…

3 tons


I had to go back to my first post to see what I wrote. As far as I know I don't have any selectable choices with this unit. But this is what I put in. I did not buy it from Battle Born.
https://battlebornbatteries.com/product/progressive-dynamics-lithium-replacement-converter-section-for-electronic-power-center-55-amp/

When I installed it, I moved the batteries to the basement under the floor. Plus changed all the 10 GA wiring to 4 GA. I had fun there.


Almost new to truck camping. Truck is a 2001 Dodge 3500 Dual rear wheel with a few performance mods. Camper is a 2005 Bigfoot 2500 9.6 with Lithiums. The trailer carries gear, one quad, two kayaks, two bicycles, and a 3700kw generator.

Dodgemahal

Idaho panhandle

New Member

Joined: 09/29/2019

View Profile



Posted: 12/07/21 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

Dodgemahal wrote:

. . . I see dozens of cheap generators on the market. I bought one and I hate it. So anything with a Honda motor is a possibility. But back to my question on output. I need something bigger than the eu2200i correct? I am not into turning breakers off to run my AC on a small generator.
I am wondering how people are running the mach 8 on a 2K output . . . .

Oh I forgot to mention I am getting a soft start from micro air no matter what generator I end up with.
As a lot of folks have already mentioned, the Honda EU2200 should easily run your Mach 8 with the Micro Air Easy Start installed. However, if you power the a/c with the EU2200 while your batteries are significantly discharged, odds are the EU2200 will go into overload. You'll need at least a 3000 watt generator if you want the ability to charge discharged batteries while also powering the a/c.

You mentioned a preference for Honda. If you decide to go with a larger Honda, note there's a significant difference in portability between the EU2200 (~55 lbs.w/fuel) and the EU3000iS (~150 lbs. w/fuel). Honda does make a lighter, more portable 3000w generator called the Honda EU3000i "Handi" (100 lbs. w/fuel). Honda used to rate the Handi at 57-65db, but now rates it 52-58db. The EU3000iS has a long-held reputation for being extremely quiet with a 50-57db rating. I've heard a number of Handi's under full load over the years--they're much louder than the EU3000iS. Unless Honda has made some significant changes to the Handi exhaust system recently, I don't see how the current 52-58db rating could be even remotely accurate.



Thanks for posting that. I am going to go have a look. I can appreciate a little overkill. Having some extra watts left over would not hurt a thing. Well except my wallet. [emoticon]
BTW, my westinghouse generator claims noise levels in the 50's. It is way louder than that. Even in the metal vented box I made. It is loud.

Dodgemahal

Idaho panhandle

New Member

Joined: 09/29/2019

View Profile



Posted: 12/08/21 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe I have my solution. I spent a LOT of time wandering through Craigslist, marketplace and a few other sites looking for what was out there. Some people are asking higher than MSRP for their used beat up generator. Crazy... I found one eu3000i handi near me but I don't want to spend 2500 bucks on it. I know what my wife would say there. So I have a eu2000i in excellent condition. Yes it may run the AC but like previously mentioned, the charger could put it in overload. Worse case I could turn off the charger if I need to but would prefer to charge while running.
So I found out you can pair up an eu2200i with some specific model eu2000i generators. Within a specific serial number range. I looked and my eu2000i is in the range! Look here to see.

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/misc/EU2200i-EU2000i-Parallel-Operation.pdf

So what I want to do is find a used nice eu2200i that does not have the CO minder and has the 12 VDC 8 amp charging station. Then use that as a primary out in the boondocks. And on the few trips where it is blazing hot, ( only two trips this last summer) put the eu2000i on the trailer as a companion and use both generators to cool the camper and charge. With that combination I would have 3400 watts at 28.3 amps running, and 4200 watts and 35 amps for start up. Same weight as the westinghouse headache I already have. But more reliability and choices on how much weight I want to lug around depending on what I need for that outing.

Another bonus I found was a fuel shut off for the earlier eu2000i. From Hutch mountain. I will install it and do a different thread for exposure to other eu2000i owners. Hopefully it is a good solution to shutting down the generator and not leaving fuel in the carb bowl.

https://www.hutchmountain.com/collections/amazing-generator-accessories/products/bad-gas-ethanol-gum-carb-eliminator-switch-compatible-w-honda%C2%AE-eu2000i-generator

Thanks for all the feedback on getting me to a decision here. It was almost painful...JK[emoticon]

bgum

South Louisiana

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/09/21 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

88 pounds versus 131 pounds honda handi eu3000i versus honda eu3000i.
Honda 2200 is 47 pounds.

TxGearhead

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/09/21 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does that Coleman Mach 8 cool your Bigfoot pretty good? I've got the Dometic 11,000 that was OEM. It's way too much AC for my 2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4.
I always thought I would replace it with a Mach 8.


2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/09/21 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

88 pounds versus 131 pounds honda handi eu3000i versus honda eu3000i.
Honda 2200 is 47 pounds.


Than single Honda 2200 is louder than 3000.
I can only wonder how two 2200 running together will compare.





Buzzcut1

Norcal

Senior Member

Joined: 10/04/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/09/21 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

bgum wrote:

88 pounds versus 131 pounds honda handi eu3000i versus honda eu3000i.
Honda 2200 is 47 pounds.


Than single Honda 2200 is louder than 3000.
I can only wonder how two 2200 running together will compare.


well here is the math just plug in the DB number of the 2200i

https://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/s........ics/5_addition_of_sound_intensities.html


2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags


ticki2

NH

Senior Member

Joined: 07/09/2008

View Profile



Posted: 12/10/21 04:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From most reports 2 Honda eu2000i running in parallel are about 3 db more than a single running in the same mode . There are times when the 2 will be quieter than the single depending my on the load for instance, if the load is such that the 2 can stay in ECO mode and the single would have to go to full rpm to supply the load . In the example of the two 2000 weighing 88 lbs and 3000 weighing 131 lbs one must remember the 88 lbs is in two bundles of 44lbs which most can lift and handle , not many can do the same with 131 lbs . You also get 25 percent more capacity with the twins for less money .


'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

towpro

Compass PA

Senior Member

Joined: 02/08/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/10/21 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

From most reports 2 Honda eu2000i running in parallel are about 3 db more than a single running in the same mode . There are times when the 2 will be quieter than the single depending my on the load for instance, if the load is such that the 2 can stay in ECO mode and the single would have to go to full rpm to supply the load .


I agree with the sound that 2 will be quieter than 1. My 2000 would power my Cub just fine but it would run at a pretty high RPM, that is why my 3500 HarborFreight is quieter than my 2000 powering the same camper.


2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > New polar cub Mach 8 AC and the Honda eu2000i question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.