cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fantastic fan just stopped

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a thermistor on the fan which would turn not only it off but also two 12v ceiling lights???? This happened a couple years ago and magically cured itself after couple days for no reason. Already checked fuses light bulbs and 12v power to all and everything seems normal
Kennyg
10 REPLIES 10

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
fyrflie wrote:
My fan does the same thing.
Right next to the speed control is a screw in fuse holder. Over time, my fuse holder springs started to lose tension and create an intermittent connection. To fix this you need to stretch out those springs a little and reinstall the fuse.

The fuse panel in one of my old DC power converters used glass cartridge fuses - and the clips that held the ends of each fuse were attached to the panel with rivets.

These rivets were prone to loosening over time, resulting in intermittent connections.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Kennyg wrote:
Kennyg wrote:
Is there a thermistor on the fan which would turn not only it off but also two 12v ceiling lights???? This happened a couple years ago and magically cured itself after couple days for no reason. Already checked fuses light bulbs and 12v power to all and everything seems normal

Well, the problem has rectified itself. My wife turned on the bathroom fan and lo and behold, everything now works again. We believe there is a spirit trying to get our attention!!

Remove the wall switch assbly from the wall and pull out the wires as far as you can without pulling anything loose. Check the scotch locks and various quick connects for loose or melted(brown) spots. Doug

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
My fan does the same thing.
Right next to the speed control is a screw in fuse holder. Over time, my fuse holder springs started to lose tension and create an intermittent connection. To fix this you need to stretch out those springs a little and reinstall the fuse.
This worked for mine. Maybe yours is the same.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
One possibility is thereโ€™s a Scotchlok splice somewhere in the circuit causing the problem. The possibility that itโ€™s in an area that you can even see to know that itโ€™s there are slim. They are often hidden behind the wall and ceiling panels of RVโ€™s during manufacture.

Hereโ€™s a link to a topic of mine where I was lucky enough to be able to find one a few inches away from a light fixture that had been giving me problems. I still had to cut a hole in the ceiling to fix it though.

Truck Camper Scotchlok Fix
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kennyg wrote:
Kennyg wrote:

Well, the problem has rectified itself. My wife turned on the bathroom fan and lo and behold, everything now works again. We believe there is a spirit trying to get our attention!!

Trust the spirit! Find the issue and fix it! Electrical issues cause fires and campers burn fast. You know what circuit it is on, start by checking the connections on the lights, fans and in the fuse box.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Your โ€œspiritโ€ needs to be found and tightened.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
Kennyg wrote:

Kennyg

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Reisender wrote:
Kennyg wrote:

One thing you can check is the connections on the roof. There is a nut that tightens the connector onto the plungey switchy thingy. If you back it off, clean it up and tighten it down it may come back alive.

Hope you sort it out.

That is the same thing as the metal door light plunger on OLD cars. But, It ONLY affects the fan blade operation. Nothing else. It is a lid open switch and if the nut is loose you lose ground to the fan motor. This link shows what the plunger looks like on the Fantastic. Doug

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-85932-Self-Grounding-Switch/dp/B0024GM6S2/ref=asc_df_B0024GM6S2/?tag=h...

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Kennyg wrote:

One thing you can check is the connections on the roof. There is a nut that tightens the connector onto the plungey switchy thingy. If you back it off, clean it up and tighten it down it may come back alive.

Hope you sort it out.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nope.

Has to be an intermittent connection somewhere between your DC fuse panel and those three particular devices.

Most likely culprit is a loose wire right at the DC fuse panel - i.e., where it connects to the fuse panel.