cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aluminum Ion Batteries

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
This might punch a hole in Li Ion Batteries if it comes to production and a lot safer by the sounds. https://graphenemg.com/energy-storage-solutions/aluminum-ion-battery/
7 REPLIES 7

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
If they reach production I might consider one once the LFPโ€™s 10yr warranty runs out (though it could last waaay longer), but by then I believe a battery will be the least of my problems - lol

3 tons

PerryB67
Explorer
Explorer
I look at lithium batteries like compact florescent light bulbs. Lithium is just an interm solution until something reasonable comes along.

Enjoy,

Perry
2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
2019 F150 Max Tow, Max Springs, 3.5 EB Quad Cab
Victron 712, Victron 100/20, Victron 100/30
160 Watts on the Roof, 100 watt portable
Two 100 ah SOK LFP Batteries

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
2112 exciting times! Thanks for the link.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fisherman wrote:
This might punch a hole in Li Ion Batteries if it comes to production and a lot safer by the sounds. https://graphenemg.com/energy-storage-solutions/aluminum-ion-battery/

only probalem with these anounceents is they are 5 to 10 years off befor eanything meaningfull. there was another one that I thought was the best news, but they figure it will be 15 years untill a working battery powerfull enough to power a childerens toy is availble.... this one you posted just applied for a patent, wich is usaly the first step as they have to do that before they will get any grants, so it is pretty much someones theroietical idea right now. now they get the money to see if it works good.

on a side note with bigger players like FORD getting into the battery market some things are moving faster now, which is great.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Explorer II
Explorer II
Solid Power is using sulfide and pyrite. I thought THIS was interesting.

Solid Power (SLDP) went public today. Ford and BMW have been funding them from for a few years and hope to use their batteries within 4 years.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
After languishing for around a century, battery technology is exploding these days, driven by a combination of automotive, consumer electronics, and solar/wind renewable technologies that suddenly need batteries better than good old dry cell and flooded lead/acid.

Lithium ion (and other lithium chemistries) suffer from several problems, among them the relative rarity of lithium on this planet. Among the likely breakthroughs for batteries in the next few years are both solid state and alternate metal technologies.

In fact, there are solid state batteries already on the market . . . in the form of a battery the size of a fingernail used for certain very small, low drain electronic applications. Toyota has announced they will start building cars with solid state batteries next year (following long standing tradition in the IT business, we call these cars "vaporware" until we find them in the store and actually for sale).

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Fisherman,

Thanks for the link. Solid state batteries are on the horizon, too.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.