cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advise around Dallas/Ft. Worth

Leftedge
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any advise for traveling through or around Dallas/Ft. Worth? One leg of our trip takes us from Weatherford TX to DeKalb TX and we are wondering if it is advisable to just plow through both Dallas and Ft Worth on I-30 or take one of the alternates around? We are in a 36 ft MH towing an SUV and are not in any particular hurry. Thanks in advance!
8 REPLIES 8

Leftedge
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the great advice. Much appreciated!

(Heisenburg: Not to worry, I’ll do my best to keep out of Dallas/Ft. Worth, Austin and San Antonio as we make our permanent move to East Tennessee)

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
As was said,I20 to east side of Dallas then 635 to 30 then to TX 259 to Dekalb. I take our 5er up 259 every few months and is a very good road

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
We used to live in Denton. Another vote for I20 south to 635 to I30 if you prefer interstates or catching 82 no further east than I35W if you prefer secondary roads.

Avoid I30 in Dallas and 380 from I35 east through McKinney. The latter is nothing but traffic lights, shopping centers, and master planned communities that will slow you down.
2017 LTV Unity

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Keep Out!
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Like rdhetrick, I also live on the north side of the Dallas area and drive the area often. Like him, I would stay on I-20 around the south side of DFW to I-635 on the east side. Then I-635 north to I-30 and then east. I would not go on I-30 thru downtown Ft Worth and downtown Dallas.

Non interstates make for less traffic, but there is really no easy way to take lesser traveled highways for the route you want without taking some farm to market roads. Even though those roads are mostly good although often narrow, I would still stay with the interstates and go mid day.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking as an outsider who visits the area a few times a year, I would be much more comfortable taking the secondary roads from Weatherford through Decatur to Gainesville, then US 82 all the way to De Kalb. Texas secondary roads are usually in good condition, about as fast as the interstates, and very much less congested.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
My advice would be go between 10am and 1pm.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
My company is based on the north side of Dallas in Plano, so I drive in and out of DFW from various directions with my RV many times each year. For me, knowing the roads, it's not too bad, but certainly it's stressfull.

For your route from Weatherford to DeKalb, I would take 20 across the south side of the metroplex (it turns into 635), and then out 30.

Sat/Sun are of course the lighter traffic days if possible, but I've come through during rush hour as well.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E