Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel purchase advise - Solitude or Jayco

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello,

We are ready to go from a 32ft TT to a 40ft 5th wheel. I was wondering if anyone could offer some insights. I know there are a lot of 'it depends' but I am looking for some feedback on how big or small the pros and cons listed below are in real life.

There will be two of us and a 65 lb golden. Children/adults 'may' drop by for a week or two a year. It will be full-time for 4-5 months in the summer. Parked the rest.

Options:

2022 Solitude 378
2022 Solitude 375
2021 Jayco North Point 382

Pros/cons of each

Solitude 378 Rear Living New 2022
Some options

+ Mid bunk, good for doggy, kids and offic
+ 3 ACs on it
+ 40 ft long
+ 1 gray and 1 black tank
+ Large walk-around in bedroom
- 72 inch bed slideout, not true king
- Limited counterspace kitchen
- Limited outside storage
- 1 bathroom
* Open floorplan

Solitude 375 Rear Living New 2022
Basic

+ Great windows/views
+ Good area for conversation
+ Lots of storage inside and out
+ Good kitchen counterspace
+ 1 gray and 1 black tank
+ 41ft long
- 1 bathroom
- 2 ACs
- 72 inch bed slideout, not true king
- Less walk-around space in bedroom
- Most expensive by 15-20k over others
- No doggy room or private space for kids
* Split floorplan

North Point 382 - Front Living used 2021
Loaded. 30 day use only

+ Comes with 5k generator
+ Factory warranty 12/24 months left
+ 85k vs. 110+ for others
+ 8k axles with disc brake
+ Dual pane windows
+ 3 ACs, Solar, awnings
+ On demand water heater
+ 1/2 extra bathroom.
+ Good storage inside and out
+ 75 inch slideout space for true king
- 44 ft long
- Limited views, no views out back
- Darker than the others, smaller windows
- 3 grays and 2 black tanks, double dump
- Smallish kitchen
* Split Floorplan

Any feedback would be appreciated.

MC
19 REPLIES 19

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our Jayco Eagle for 10 years now and nearly trouble free. To me it's boils down to the dealer I think will give the best service. My buddy bought a GD about 2 years ago & had lots of problems the dealer should have fixed before saying it was ready to be picked up. Took forever to get all resolved. My dealer had our 5er ready to go & the one issue we had later with a slide motor was resolved in a week.
On the Jayco , Northpoints are really close to thier top of line and Pinnacles are the #1.. our Eagle is middle line. But still nice.

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned both Jayco and Grand Design 5th wheels. IMO, choose the model that best fits your needs/wants and look for fit and finish. Once you have made your decision, the next hurdle would be to determine if the dealer is capable of handling all the warranty issues you will have.
A couple that I know, purchased new, a 2017 Jayco Pinnacle, beautiful rig, but the shop has enjoyed it more than they have.
My last purchase was a 2019 Solitude S-Class. After a multitude of issues, I sold it and I no longer RV with towables. QC is lacking in most all Rv industries.

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
Can't comment on the Jayco too much but i will say that Grand Designs want very good to deal with on a warranty issue with mine when i first got it and other than that bent axle that i can't blame GD for, the unit has been great, very well built and a fair bit better fit and finish than my previous KZ Durango.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
If your not happy with the floorpans so far......keep looking. Don't fool yourselves into thinking/saying "We'll make it work", you won't be happy in the long run. Consider too where you'll be most of the time. By this I mean LR. If front LR, ya gotta go up/down steps all the time. In rear LR, you're on same level 99% of time for kit/fridge. Only time your really gonna go up is for bathroom/bed. If your older, could be a prob w/ front LR.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

I am NO FAN ( myself ) of the FL floor plans, just my opinion. I know folks that have Jayco, and folks that have a 2022 Solitude 375 RES both really like their units.

The Solitude has had 2-3 small issues caused by the dealer ( incident with employee moving it ) and only 1 warranty issue . Grand design has been awesome to work with and shipped all parts needed to their house, and arranged with a local dealer ( purchased 16 hrs away ) to do the work.

I agree with the Dual Pane Windows, we got them back in 08 and have had them on the list 3 RV's as we like them that much.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, i would pass on a Jayco as they are owned by Thor. The Solitude is a Grand design and owned by Winnebago.

While the floorplan can be important, I would still not buy a Thor over a Solitude. If it is a great floorplan and is always in the dealer's shop, you are not getting any enjoyment from the RV.

Dual pane windows are a big plus to me. Yes, some do fail and need to be repaired, but they provide for better insulation and less noise.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
speediq99 wrote:
We love our views out the back and we like the living room concept.
I love my picture window, which is practically the whole rear end. I don't see that a lot these days, and I never really specked that out at purchase, but I'd hate to be without it.
JTrac wrote:
As a counterpoint after owning a motorhome and a fifth wheel with dual pane windows they are not something I want. Both developed the dreaded fogging.
That's a bummer. My dual panes are 19 years old and have never fogged. I also like the bit more sound insulation they provide.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
It makes sense. That seems to be our struggle. We are trying to like a front living layout because of the features.

We love our views out the back and we like the living room concept. The front living NP is great but when you sit on the living room you are going to end up looking at your neighbors truck or the front of their trailer.

Our next decision is whether to get a mid bunk Solitude or a rear living. The bunk seems to take usable space and is probably not an ideal space for anything other than sleeping. We thought it could be good for our dog but that is about it. Even as an office, I have a feeling we would want to work where we have more views, space and more light. Perhaps if we had kids with us full-time, the mid bunk would be a no brainer.

We seem to be leaning towards a rear living 375 with the separate lr, kitchen and bedroom. The wife doesn't like the open Floorplans as much anymore.

MC

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
It all starts with the floorplan. Which floorplan fits YOU the best.
From their consider optons and equpiment.
Disc brakes are a big deal, that is a big plus.
Genset and 8K axles are deal but how big of a deal depends on your camping style.
It all starts with floor plan. If the flooplan doesn't works nothing else matters.
Disc brakes are a huge plus vs. inferior drum brakes. In an ideal world are large RV's would have factory disc brakes.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, the Pinnacle is Jayco's top line fifth wheel. The NP is the next down in the line up. Doesn't make it bad just an FYI. As a counterpoint after owning a motorhome and a fifth wheel with dual pane windows they are not something I want. Both developed the dreaded fogging.

We've had our Pinnacle since May of last year and other than a slide adjustment it has been trouble free and seems to be well built. We've had it in all kinds of weather and it heats and cools very well. The single pane windows have been a non factor in our use. On hot, sunny days I just keep the shades closed on the windows in the direct sun.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
Pick which ever one suits your fancy. The quality of all RV has really gone down lately with the big demand. Had a friend just buy a $140,000 trailer and has a whole list of problems.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned a new Jayco and a Grand Design Reflection 5th wheel. My Reflection is much nicer in my opinion and the Solitude is even nicer. Better overall quality and tows better.

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you.

We like NP. It feels that we are giving up views on the back but then again, they are outside the door.

Curious to know what combo W/D you went with. NP is preplumbed for it so we may add it if we go this route. I heard a few combos not being so good.

MC

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
speediq99 wrote:
North Point new is 153k msrp
Solitudes are 125-130k new

I am just wondering if any of my pros and cons are significant or insignificant when it comes to living on these 5th wheels.

MC

First for me is the floor plan, how does it fit with your style of living? Floor space is also a consideration, I removed a couch and put in a second set of theater seats. I have no need for the fold out bed and we really don't want over night guests. My son has spent one night with us, on the floor.

Looking at the ones you listed if I liked the North point floor plan I would grab it. What more major items can you add, 3 A/C's, solar, & the gen set & disc brakes. Only thing I can think of is a washer dryer. (I have a combo unit and love it for the two of us)
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold