cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route 13 & Route 17 to Fl

David_and_Chris
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to stay off of main highways from Berlin M.D. to green cove springs fl. How will route 13 to route 17 be pulling a fifth wheel?

David
David
7 REPLIES 7

David_and_Chris
Explorer
Explorer
To me the journey is always the thing, I tend to build time into getting where I am heading. The goal is green cove springs Fl. at the end of November, I just need to find campgrounds / stopovers that are open past Columbus day.

David
David

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
I would even suggest a detour if possible. Taking 13 south the CBBT if you go that way is a great drive, 13'6" overhead clearance. something most folks don't do often, and then once on the south end take 158 south in Chesapeake and go to the outer banks. You can either cut back to the west through Manteo to rejoin 17 south, or take the free ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke, and then a pay ferry to go on down toward Morehead City NC. And rejoining 17 near Jacksonville or Wilmington NC

If the journey is the thing, this is the best route. Camp at the federal campgrounds on the OBX
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

David_and_Chris
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to thank everyone for their comments. Mow to finish planning the route including mileage, and stops.

David
David

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are based nearby Easton, MD. Done the CBBT, 13 & 17 many times.

With the exception of the Norfolk, Virginia Beach area, which will take maybe a 1/2 hour to slug through, the rest is quite pleasant & certainly better than getting on 95.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
Taking Rt13 down across the CBBT is easy peezy and beautiful. Just turn off your propane to cross the bridge. Once in Virginia Beach I usually jump onRt58 west to connect with 95 south. I have not used Rt17 so I know nothing about it.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I would even suggest a detour if possible. Taking 13 south the CBBT if you go that way is a great drive, 13'6" overhead clearance. something most folks dont do often, and then once on the south end take 158 south in Chesapeake and go to the outer banks. You can either cut back to the west through Manteo to rejoin 17 south, or take the free ferry from Hatteras to Okracoke, and then a pay ferry to go on down toward Morehead City NC. And rejoining 17 near Jacksonville or Wilmington NC

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Both highways are fine for RV travel. We have used both numerous times. Have traveled with a TT, a Class C and, most recently, a 34' Class A with a toad. Never in a 5er.
I would not suggest using the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel in any kind of windy conditions, and you might want to check the height limits going through those tunnels. Cannnot recall them. There will be traffic in the area just following the bridge-tunnel as well (Norfolk, Chesapeake) but after that little at all until Jacksonville and Wilmington, NC. Traffic again in Myrtle Beach, SC area, then again in Charleston (may choose to take I 526 around). 17 joins with I 95 at MP 33 in SC into Georgia, taking you around Savannah. Then into Florida. A little tough in Jacksonville, then goes west of I 95. Haven't taken it farther south than that. No where near as fast a trip as using I 95, but, for us, far less stressful. Any way you go, enjoy!
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!