Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Carrying extra fuel in Canada
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Carrying extra fuel in Canada

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/21 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

MarkTwain wrote:

TravelinDog wrote:

My wife and I are planning to drive up to Alaska this summer with our new 5er and I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is legal to carry 10 extra gallons of diesel fuel.
I don't want to be caught short between fill-ups in Canada or Alaska where I've been told never to pass up an opportunity to fill up the tank.

My suggestion is to have a auxiliary diesel fuel tank installed. safer choice. I have a 60 gal. tank installed by Transfer Flow company located in Chico Calif. I can drive close to 1000 miles before needing fuel. Give them a call and ask what options you have. They can install the auxillary tank in 1 day. They will also ship the tank to your home town.

What exactly is unsafe about a couple 5 gal jugs of diesel in the truck bed?

For extra range it's a nice idea. I'm sure Canadian people use fuel jugs. How else to

they fill up lawnmowers and other small equipment?

Having an auxiliary fuel tank is more convenient and does require loading and unloading fuel cans or take up space in the bed of your truck.

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/21 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If this is going to be a one time deal, go with a couple of ~5 gallon fuel cans and secure from tipping (box or milk crates) in your truck bed, just for your peace of mind. In all the posts (Alaska) that I’ve read, I don’t think that I read about anyone running out of fuel. Definitely do not bypass the first gas station you see, there probably is not another on the other side of the town, I learned that lesson in northern Ontario where gas station and towns can be 100 miles apart. Increase your budget for fuel and grin and bear it when you find out that the $1.50 litre translates closer to $6.00 a gallon.
Legalities, none that I’m aware of, if there were any, just about everyone has broken the law.

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

chiefneon

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/21 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy!

Our first trip up was in 2007 and our TV only had a 40 gallon fuel tank. I carried and extra 10 gallons of fuel and never needed it going up. I toppped off and started looking for fuel when I got around half a tank. We returned in mid September and found that a lot of the places we fueled up had no diesel fuel as they had not purchased any not wanting to set on it during the winter. That 10 gallons was just enough to get us to the next fuel stop. After that my TV now has auxiliary fuel tank. It’s nice to fill up when you want to not when you need to.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/21 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry a 5 gallon container of diesel and another 5 gallon container of gas for our Yukon in the back of my truck when we travel. It is perfectly fine here.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

SailingOn

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/21 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 2017 we drove from central Texas up to Alaska and back, 10000 miles, three months.
At one cafe in Alaska, a lady warned us to be sure we topped off our tank, the next diesel on our path was near 300 miles. I thought she was maybe drumming up business.
Next diesel was 310 miles. It does happen.

Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/21 01:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarkTwain wrote:

Having an auxiliary fuel tank is more convenient and does require loading and unloading fuel cans or take up space in the bed of your truck.

So what is the safety concern you mentioned?

Also, typical in bed auxiliary tanks take up space in the bed.

Under bed tanks are awfully expensive relative to a couple of 5 gal jugs.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/21 03:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I often carry a 5 gallon jerky can of diesel when I’m towing long distances but I never actually use it. I like to have it to fully use my main tank….. I’m comfortable going past 0 miles to empty.

2022 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

TravelinDog

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/21 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the varied opinions. I guess I should have been more specific.
My question was more along the lines of whether it would be legal to cross the Canadian border carrying a couple of 5 gallon jugs of extra diesel.
I'm certainly not going to spend $1800+ on an auxiliary fuel tank.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/21 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TravelinDog wrote:

My question was more along the lines of whether it would be legal to cross the Canadian border carrying a couple of 5 gallon jugs of extra diesel.

We all get to make our own choices to meet our particular needs. Carrying 5-gallon cans of fuel is one choice. It just would not be my first choice, all things being equal and the river don't rise[emoticon]

OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/21 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TravelinDog wrote:

I thought so, that's why I recommended buying the cans after your cross into Canada. Or keep the cans empty at crossing.

Surely you can get ahold of the Canadian Border Crossing people and inquire with them.

EDIT TO ADD: I just took a quick look at Canadian Border requirements.
It *looks* like you can bring fuel across the border, but there is a limit to how much, there may be a fee to be paid if too much, and they may be picky about the fuel container. You really need to contact Canadian Customs, and if they say it's ok, try to get it in writing or email, and print copies and take with you.

I've always had good to great experiences with Canadian Customs, but it's been quite a few years since.

Good luck to you.

In light of all that, Personally I'd just buy a couple fuel containers in Canada after I crossed in. Easy, no worries, no stress, no **** to deal with.

* This post was edited 12/13/21 05:18pm by OkieGene *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Carrying extra fuel in Canada
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.