Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Front axle
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Front axle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/13/21 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO, there is only one condition that “might” cause that type of tire wear while hauling a camper with your truck (independent front suspension). And that would be if your camper center of gravity was significantly aft of the rear axle, taking a considerable amount of weight off the front axle causing a bit of positive camber.
There is very little chance the camper was adding significant weight TO the FA. And if it did, it would cause a theoretical opposite camber and opposite wear that you’re seeing.

Your front tire wear is either due to misalignment, too much toe or somehow negative camber. Or the more likely cause is if you drove alot of miles on very twisty roads, the body roll of the camper will put more stress on the outsides of the tires than the inside.

In short, 99% chance it’s alignment or front end components causing it. 1% chance it’s the camper unless a lot of tight turning mountain miles I could foresee some wear.


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/13/21 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To some of the comments.
If a solid axle truck, load over the rear axle (or front axle for that matter) will not affect alignment at all. Not one bit.
IFS truck like the OPs, it’s possible, but again not likely unless a significant amount of weight is added or removed from the FA.

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

Senior Member

Joined: 12/03/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/18/21 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 4,400lb fully loaded BF camper only puts 300lbs extra on the front tires.

Jim


2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 04/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 12/20/21 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You identified and addressed the issue. The only way to know if it is truly fixed is to get another camper and try it.


Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Front axle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.