cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antifreeze in transmission 2010 Duramax??

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
What’s going on here. How does this happen? And has it ruined my transmission?
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek
61 REPLIES 61

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not choosing sides, but a mechanical, knowledgeable, 15 Ram owner, owning vehicle since new, should know what he has.

I had an issue back in early days of SOF 4x4, not shifting from 2h to 4h, when turning the knob, while going down the road. Explained how it works (didn't work), to the tech. I had owned this truck for almost 2 yrs, from new.

Tech told me "it can't work that way, ft shaft needs to be turning all the time". He actually went out in the lot, layed on the ground, had me drive over him. He got up, said, "Mmm, you are right". No surprise to me, I did know how my own truck worked.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
No contest! Just like to have the facts known.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
Not that I really care about your peeing contest, but when I look at Rock Auto for a '15 Ram 3500 with the 6.7 diesel engine, and look at the trans fluid cooler lines, there is a cooler in the picture. They list a fluid cooler and it looks like the one in the replacement cooler lines picture...

Back to your contest.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Who cares about the 1 or 2 radiators thing. That’s sooo page 3…lol
But what is worth posting is when is 12V going to tell/admit what broke on his truck.
Wonder if the failure was related to using Amzoil?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Simply put I know for a fact the trans cooler has nothing to do with the radiator on MY 15. There are a couple people on here know why I know.

I agree the lines would be the same since they all have a isolated trans cooler.

The people that make the aftermarket Y pipe for the dual radiators only list the 13-15’s.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
My truck is 100% stock, I KNOW my truck has ONE independent trans cooler with my AISIN and ONE radiator.

Spoke to Parts guy I know, he said no Y" pipe in 15 is listed that he could find. He also said the AISIN cooler is separate from the radiator in 13 and up applications.

Aftermarket does say 13-15 but that would have to be very early 15's if any. I am on the TDR and never have I heard of a 15 having Dual Radiators in a 15.
Actually aftermarket AND the one Mopar sight that let me search all agreed. It is 2013 to 2018.
I have already conceded on the dual radiators which was never my point, it just came up when I researched the facts.:D

I had another thought. If there is a difference between the 14s and 15s, then the tranny lines should be different. So I went back to Rock auto and looked them up. Same exact part numbers for both years. I even checked on the 16s... Same numbers. I have tried hard to prove myself wrong, and have come up empty.
Perhaps there is a communications issue. Your parts guy saying the 13s and up have a seperate cooler is not the same as saying that there is no heat exchanger in the radiator. It could have both. Every factory setup I have seen that has an external tranny cooler also runs the fluid thru the radiator heat exchanger. This is to keep it from being too cold in extremely cold conditions. Too cold is not good just as too hot is not good.... And there just is no magic I am aware of that would make any brand exempt from that. :h

On edit: I am pretty sure that the "y" pipe is for the engine coolant, not the tranny fluid.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

ZR1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another interesting fact about the new GM 10L-1000 10 Speed Allison branded trans, it does not have a dip stick and has so called Lifetime transmission fluid.

In order to change the fluid you must pull the pan (won't that be full with a full trans). To refill, remove a plug from the side of the transmission and fill to a specific amount, then when the trans is up to a specific temperature top off and replace the plug.

Wow, that sounds like a great improvement, I guess it was to easy just to replace a spin on filter and add the difference lost by the filter replacement via the dipstick. Support your local GM dealer, lol

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
My truck is 100% stock, I KNOW my truck has ONE independent trans cooler with my AISIN and ONE radiator.

Spoke to Parts guy I know, he said no Y" pipe in 15 is listed that he could find. He also said the AISIN cooler is separate from the radiator in 13 and up applications.

Aftermarket does say 13-15 but that would have to be very early 15's if any. I am on the TDR and never have I heard of a 15 having Dual Radiators in a 15.
Actually aftermarket AND the one Mopar sight that let me search all agreed. It is 2013 to 2018.
I have already conceded on the dual radiators which was never my point, it just came up when I researched the facts.:D
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Flan wrote:
What a pissing contest this post has become
I can see you are fairly new here.
It happens.

One thing I like about this site is that it is pretty lightly moderated. Generally as long as there is no name calling, swearing etc., one is free to challange the veracity of another members claims.
This is good as not everything that is written here is correct. I generally do not challange something until it has been repeated a few times.... The old give them some rope technique. In this case the claim was made 3 times, and it was pretty easy to find the real answer.
The one exception to my letting a falsehood get repeated is if it could get someone hurt or killed. I challange those immeadiatly.

Now in this case, if some different info surfaces and I am wrong, I will say so. But from everything I have found so far, it doesn't look like it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Flan
Explorer
Explorer
What a pissing contest this post has become
Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
the1adman wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"As far as the tranny cooler in the radiator, it is there for a reason.To keep the fluid from running too cold."

Seems the MD AISIN does not need to be heated up and as mentioned they run cooler than any trans I have heard of.
12V98 wrote:
This sort of issue is another reason I like my AISIN trans. It has a cooler and that's it, no heat exchanger.
12V98 wrote:
My trans temp runs 165 towing or not and when climbing miles of 6% grades it may get as high as 172. OH and the trans is NOT tied to anything other than it's own cooler.
I just looked up your trucks cooling system on Rock Auto. You have two radiators. The secondary does not have a tranny cooler in it. The Primary or Main radiator DOES have a tranny cooler in it.
Look it up for yourself. They even have pictures.

Sorry my truck has ONE radiator. My truck is a 2015 and the 13 and 14 did have two radiators. I have no idea if the trans is tied to one of those radiators or not.

For fun post the pics.
Here you go. Click the link and then peruse the 2015 parts.Rock auto parts lookup

I even went all tha way up to 2017. and they all show the same parts.
On edit:
Here is another link to Autozone; Autozone 2015 Ram 3500 diesel parts lookup
Shows the same thing.

Final edit: I have looked at quite a few sites now, and they all agree. The Ram diesel auto tranny uses the same two radiator setup from 2013 to 2018.

So either they are all wrong, or you have a VERY special one off truck.

The dual radiators ended sometime in 2015 models. Some early models had them and some late models did not. 2016 and newer is one radiator.

All of the sites I checked, including some Mopar sites list the Dual radiators all the way to 2018.
In fact I cannot find a single radiator part listed anywhere.

OK, I just spent some time on the Dodge Cummins forum and found this:2013 to 2015 RAM trucks have dual radiators for cooling engine. ( I may be off on year range )

They have the same main radiator as trucks before and trucks after. Example, a radiator from a 2018 truck is identical to a main radiator on a dual radiator setup on a 2015.

The difference is 2 composite Y pipes, some smaller hoses, and a small radiator mounted in front of the main one. You get more coolant and larger surface area. In theory, these trucks should be able to dissipate heat better. Yet, 2016 n up trucks returned to just one radiator. These trucks produce more power and have higher numbers. So at some point RAM decided the original Single radiator performed well enough. Or, decided to decrease parts and POF points.

I’ve read a few guys with the dual setup, remove the smaller cooler. They do this because the top Y cracks, and it’s cheaper to just bypass the smaller cooler. Again, as the main radiator is identical on trucks before and after, cooling performance is still good. I’ve also read where many say cooling as actually improved, including AC.

The reason is because the hot air off the smaller one, reduces heat transfer on the 2nd main radiator. And when parked, the heat from the smaller one radiates on to the AC cooler. Reducing AC performance when parked.Link:Cummins radiator discussion

So it appears that
12V98 may be correct in only having one radiator, but wrong about the tranny cooler, (which was/is the whole point) as all trucks from 2013 to 2018 use the same primary/Main radiator, which has a tranny cooler in it.

If one reads down further in the linked thread, some are talking about doing a modification to eliminate the radiator tranny cooler....And yes they did touch on cold weather concerns....

So I guess the thing to ask now is:
12V98, Is your truck stock? Or did you modify it as far as the tranny cooler goes?
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
the1adman wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"As far as the tranny cooler in the radiator, it is there for a reason.To keep the fluid from running too cold."

Seems the MD AISIN does not need to be heated up and as mentioned they run cooler than any trans I have heard of.
12V98 wrote:
This sort of issue is another reason I like my AISIN trans. It has a cooler and that's it, no heat exchanger.
12V98 wrote:
My trans temp runs 165 towing or not and when climbing miles of 6% grades it may get as high as 172. OH and the trans is NOT tied to anything other than it's own cooler.
I just looked up your trucks cooling system on Rock Auto. You have two radiators. The secondary does not have a tranny cooler in it. The Primary or Main radiator DOES have a tranny cooler in it.
Look it up for yourself. They even have pictures.

Sorry my truck has ONE radiator. My truck is a 2015 and the 13 and 14 did have two radiators. I have no idea if the trans is tied to one of those radiators or not.

For fun post the pics.
Here you go. Click the link and then peruse the 2015 parts.Rock auto parts lookup

I even went all tha way up to 2017. and they all show the same parts.
On edit:
Here is another link to Autozone; Autozone 2015 Ram 3500 diesel parts lookup
Shows the same thing.

Final edit: I have looked at quite a few sites now, and they all agree. The Ram diesel auto tranny uses the same two radiator setup from 2013 to 2018.

So either they are all wrong, or you have a VERY special one off truck.

The dual radiators ended sometime in 2015 models. Some early models had them and some late models did not. 2016 and newer is one radiator.

All of the sites I checked, including some Mopar sites list the Dual radiators all the way to 2018.
In fact I cannot find a single radiator part listed anywhere.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
The Ford GM joint venture.allison made the ford and Ram get better trannies and I see this a good deal for rv towing. chevman

100% agree.

No that didn’t happen. The 10 speed was designed and tested by GM and Ford together. They are now the same exact transmission design, and GM recently put the Allison name on theirs.
GM and Ford Joint Design.
This is one of those internet myths that just won't go away. GM and Ford DID have a joint tranny venture.... But only for the 1/2 tons. The 2500/250 and up trannys are not included.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires