Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: StarLink internet without an address
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> StarLink internet without an address

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
TechWriter

Part-Timing Again

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/21 10:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

My understanding is that they are working on a mobile antenna.

Yes, but don't hold your breath.

time2roll wrote:

AFAIK just a fixed location is needed.

If you're thinking (as others seem to be on this thread) that you can just submit some random address to get Starlink access, then think again.

Sure, you can go to Starlink's website, then type in an address to see if there's service available. But if you don't actually live near this address (within a few miles), then there's a chance you won't get service when you set up your antenna.

If you're interested in Starlink, I suggest you check out the Starlink Reddit. FYI, I've had Starlink service since March.

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 gasser)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 gasser)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/21 04:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

magicbus wrote:

… And really easy to locate one via Google Maps.
OK if you have internet service which the OPs relative doesn't. So convert the GPS location to plus code.
Let’s work this problem… a) the OP managed to post here; and b) apparently knows the location of his friend because he plans to deliver a Starlink kit. My conclusion is the OP can manage to Google a location and obtain a Plus code and pass it along.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/21 04:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

I don't understand why a "plus code" is any better than the gps numbers.

This person has a fixed location but no fixed address. Not every location on earth has a fixed street address but does have a lat/long location and therefore a Plus Code.

On Edit: Plus code is simply a lot easier to use and less prone to errors than lat/long numbers.

Since this is a fixed location there is no need for a mobile antenna, a fixed one will work as long as the location has Starlink service available and clear sky access.

Dace

* This post was edited 12/14/21 11:22am by magicbus *

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/21 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Correct, the Plus Code appears to work to sign up for Starlink with no street address, which is what the OP was looking for.

Boeing has received FCC approval for their version of low orbit broadband service primarily for U.S., launching far fewer 147 satellites though using faster V-band service.

Amazon is planning to launch their satellite broadband internet service Project Kuiper, which looks to provide another mobile solution to customers. It would not only expand access to their Amazon Web Services (AWS). But also provide their own mobile data service to their delivery transportation system.

Amazon's Kuiper is said to partner with Verizon to beam 4G/5G mobile data to rural areas not served by towers.

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/21 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

SpaceX’s Starlink currently only provides internet service to a specific address. The user dish antenna cannot be moved too far from the specific location. “Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell,” the company says, “If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet.” However, SpaceX does have plans to expand service coverage to enable mobile service. Users will be able to access the internet service everywhere, even during camping trips in remote regions.

SpaceX founder Elon Musk shared SpaceX Starlink service will go mobile sometime in 2022. “…So you can move it anywhere or use it on an RV or truck in motion,” he said, “We need a few more satellite launches to achieve compete coverage and some key software upgrades.” Some Starlink users have tested how far away from their registered service address can they go and still access the internet, the max distance is around a 40-kilometer radius.

Last month, Musk said that Starlink “should work everywhere for global maritime by roughly middle of next year” when “enough satellites with laser links are launched. Until then, it will be patchy when far from land,” he said. Long-term, SpaceX’s Starlink satellite constellation will not need many ground stations/data centers because all of the satellites that will be launched in 2022 are equipped with inter-satellite communication laser links that will enable satellites to transfer data with one another without the need to directly receive information from the ground stations. This feature enables the company to expand service coverage much faster.

SpaceX Starlink Internet In An RV

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/21 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Starlink User Mounts Dish Antenna On Tes........-Speed Internet Of 200Mbps While Driving

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/21 04:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course if you read the article you learn it isn’t exactly mobile:

“…What we recently figured out was how to mount a Starlink [dish antenna] on top [of the RV],” Mullenweg told Protocol. “You can’t drive around with it, and I think it’s geo-locked to just the Wyoming region,”

Dave

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/21 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One user told me that the dish is not designed for mobile, meaning deployment and structure perhaps, but mobile is planned initially, for ships etc in 2022. I'm wondering if laser communication between satellites is required. Several articles have found that otherwise the range is about 25 mile radius. The Australian article mounted the dish below the car slipstream and it worked mobile (while driving). I'd like to know more about the Mullenweg test which I call parked mobile. The picture of his motorhome suggests he has it aimed towards the horizon (Wyoming ?) vs more vertical.

Very interesting technology with very high speed data transfer.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/21 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

One user told me that the dish is not designed for mobile, meaning deployment and structure perhaps, but mobile is planned initially, for ships etc in 2022. I'm wondering if laser communication between satellites is required. Several articles have found that otherwise the range is about 25 mile radius. The Australian article mounted the dish below the car slipstream and it worked mobile (while driving). I'd like to know more about the Mullenweg test which I call parked mobile. The picture of his motorhome suggests he has it aimed towards the horizon (Wyoming ?) vs more vertical.

Very interesting technology with very high speed data transfer.

thats what I am more interested in. I don't care if it works while I am driving, but when I get some where can I set it up and have it work. it comes with everything you need a tripod stand and dish. just buy a second one and take your modem with you.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/21 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Starlink is quite wonderful. It is not portable yet.

For now cell phone used as a hotspot works well.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> StarLink internet without an address
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.