2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch
32 REPLIES 32

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
rjstractor wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Fuel cost on my class c are 33 cents per kilometer or 53 cents per mile. A Bev is a factor of ten cheaper.

I'm curious to see your math. It seems exceedingly optimistic. From what I've read, to move an EV the size and weight of your motorhome at speed takes on the order of 1.5 kwh/mile. With an average cost in the US of $0.14/kwh, you're looking at a factor of about 2.5 cheaper, not 10.

Hi,

I don't think there are figures yet, not for 13750 lbs which is where I weigh in. But I think you are making a good point.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
Fuel cost on my class c are 33 cents per kilometer or 53 cents per mile. A Bev is a factor of ten cheaper.

I'm curious to see your math. It seems exceedingly optimistic. From what I've read, to move an EV the size and weight of your motorhome at speed takes on the order of 1.5 kwh/mile. With an average cost in the US of $0.14/kwh, you're looking at a factor of about 2.5 cheaper, not 10.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
Not only is it the ugliest truck but its electric too. :R

Here's my truck of the year. :B

Dood what mpg do you get with that square box?

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder,but EV truck will beat any diesel hands down. Guaranteed.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
IdaD wrote:
EV's won't be viable as consumer towing vehicles except for around town until there's some breakthrough in battery technology or some of the seemingly farfetched technology like in-road charging come to fruition. The range and charging options are too limited and when something like an unanticipated headwind occurs you could find yourself in trouble.

That said, most midsize and half ton pickups don't tow that often (or probably even at all). Take towing out of the equation and these electric pickups can start to make some real sense to a lot of users.

for myself I think the bottle neck has been how long it takes to charge them as well, but ford just came out with a cable that is capable of charging your car from empty to full in 5 min. now they propbaly have some tweaking to do with the ability to keep the bateries cool at that charge rate but that will be the game changer to me. being able to "fill up" the batteries in about the same amount of time it takes to get gas in a normal car .

this still won't help the towing range for now, that will take larger battery packs, but there are some interesting projects showing good results with new battery designs, but I think anyone who does a lot of towing will be keeping there trucks for a while.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bumpyroad wrote:
I like the trunk and pass thru but I think it also qualifies as the ugliest truck of the year.
bumpy

Bumpy how dare you "insult" the cybertruck by calling the Rivan the ugliest truck. lol
Regards, Don

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the town that makes the Lucid and the parking lot for the employees is big and full. Big area is getting ready for more something next to the factory.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Truck of the year = something that is not even mass produced or able to be purchased yet...yeah that makes sense.
'Bout as much sense as 200k pre orders for another $70-80k electric 1/2 ton truck with a frunk...
Or about as much sense as anyone who can claim with a straight face that their Tesla is "more economical" than a comparable car. It's cool, it's fast, it's a status symbol (or a wannabe status symbol more accurately).
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
EV's won't be viable as consumer towing vehicles except for around town until there's some breakthrough in battery technology or some of the seemingly farfetched technology like in-road charging come to fruition. The range and charging options are too limited and when something like an unanticipated headwind occurs you could find yourself in trouble.

That said, most midsize and half ton pickups don't tow that often (or probably even at all). Take towing out of the equation and these electric pickups can start to make some real sense to a lot of users.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
Interesting details of MT test towing
MT How Far can you Tow

And that was towing a van on a flat bed trailer. When I towed my race car on a flat bed trailer I got a touch under 14 MPG but when I towed my TT which weighed the exact same weight as my race car and trailer I got a bit under 12 MPG.

I lost right around 2 MPG just pulling a TT. Towing my old TT with this truck will get me a little over 100 miles before I need a "fill up." :E

Pulling my new TT with this truck will get me under 100 miles before I need a "fill up". :E :E :E
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting details of MT test towing
MT How Far can you Tow
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, here is another one...First though I am a guy who believes that electric vehicles are the thing of the future. Problem is, that future is still a long ways off, especially for anything long distance. If I were commuting to work every day in a big city I would probably own one.

Right now it all comes down to marketing. The more people willing to buy an EV, the more sales which make more cars and so on. In our local paper this morning they had a story about EVs, and mentioned Ford's "Frunk" F-150 that is coming soon. Yes, Frunk, as the battery will be in the frame, the motors located at the 4 wheels which leaves plenty of space under the hood for a "frunk". They said that they have 200,000 pre-orders and will not take any more at this time. WOW, what interest, what a great truck this should be! Then, I read that you could pre-order one with a $100 refundable deposit. Talk about marketing.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Lawrence...there are "new" one's every year... :B

IMHO...MT is now almost in class with Consumers

Where CR recommended the brand new AMC Matador as "best" and the next year listed it as the worst by subscriber survey results...AKA subscribers who bought based on CR's recommendation
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I like the trunk and pass thru but I think it also qualifies as the ugliest truck of the year.
bumpy

That thing brings ugly to a whole new level.