Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air-conditioner availability

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
Air-conditioner availability
I have been waiting for over a year now, and working through two different RV repair companies to get a new Dometic air conditioner for our 2015 42QD but with no luck.

Are these guys pulling my leg or just hard to locate. I still see advertisers, such as Camping World offering them on a regular basis.But, you call them and they want to place you on a waiting list.

Is anyone out there have having the same luck, if not please let me know or who to call...

Signed, "Hot under the Collar"..
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif
14 REPLIES 14

cgj107
Explorer
Explorer
Try PPL out of Houston. I ordered 2 Dometic Penguin II AC/heat pumps last month and received them in 4 days.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
HighwayJunky wrote:
So, after waiting for over a year for a replacement of my Domestic air conditioner I decided to try another approach. Just start looking for a different brand. Well, after finding what I think is a perfect replacement now the shop is telling me that the replacement MUST be the same brand/model in order to be controlled at my intelligence box inside my coach.

Really, I would have assumed that different brands would offer connectors/wiring for most any brand. Any clarification would be appreciated.

I'm still looking for that right air conditioner.

With new control systems on the walls, you HAVE to utilize the Dometic or RVP control box to interface with the new Spyder type control systems. There may be some way to use other brands, but you may end up with a useless AC you have purchased. Doug

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
So, after waiting for over a year for a replacement of my Domestic air conditioner I decided to try another approach. Just start looking for a different brand. Well, after finding what I think is a perfect replacement now the shop is telling me that the replacement MUST be the same brand/model in order to be controlled at my intelligence box inside my coach.

Really, I would have assumed that different brands would offer connectors/wiring for most any brand. Any clarification would be appreciated.

I'm still looking for that right air conditioner.
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
jorbill2or wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Both RVP(Coleman) and Dometic are just now getting enough built units to offer to the retail market. Before, ALL production was allocated to the RV makers. For Dometic, it is INDEED a Supply Chain problem as Domewtic's are built in China. They are sitting in a Container ship off the West Coast. RVP is built in Wichita, Kansas, BUT!!!!! They rely on component parts from China. Doug

When I replaced my dometic penguin II 15btu heat pump in June I could have sworn it said made in Mexico ? on the box/paperwork. Iโ€™m sure itโ€™s all China parts though.

They used to have a Mexico plant that built components for Awnings and AC units. It was destroyed by a fire years ago(4/8/2019). So, Dometic started building all in China. The literature or boxes may be a carryover from the mexico plant. MANY years ago, Dometic was built in La Grange Indiana in the heart of RV country, BY UAW union members. Doug

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Both RVP(Coleman) and Dometic are just now getting enough built units to offer to the retail market. Before, ALL production was allocated to the RV makers. For Dometic, it is INDEED a Supply Chain problem as Domewtic's are built in China. They are sitting in a Container ship off the West Coast. RVP is built in Wichita, Kansas, BUT!!!!! They rely on component parts from China. Doug

When I replaced my dometic penguin II 15btu heat pump in June I could have sworn it said made in Mexico ? on the box/paperwork. Iโ€™m sure itโ€™s all China parts though.
Bill

jeromep
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
One final note:
As my RV tech says Colemans Suck, others blow
What this means is that the Coleman sucks air in through the condenser and blows it out the sides.. Others do it the other way around blowing air through the condenser.

Why is this important.
Cleaning coleman.. Remove 4 bolts, lift lid, peal crud off condenser, Replace lid (Cowel) and 4 screws.. Finished.

Others
Remove outer cover (Cowel) often 10-12 screws
Remove INNER cover (Not always easy)
If you have large hands remove fan
Now you can clean the condenser.

I knew there was a reason I liked the Colman units better than the others. This is a very logical way to make a packaged A/C, whether it RV rooftop or any other configuration.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Consider a different make like a Coleman

Air conditioners consist of basically 3 parts
Upper unit (The part with teh compressor, evap, condenser and so on)
Lower unit (Controls and electronics)
Middle part this is the adapter that handles the ducting and so on.
Thermostat

Sometimes you can replace JUST the upper
(Advent air for example is a near direct Replacement for Carrier, you do need to change one part and plug in an adapter cable)

Sometimes you need to replace both the Upper and lower (Replacing most makes with Coleman.. airExcel (make colewman) uses different bolts)

All fit the standard 14" Square

One final note:
As my RV tech says Colemans Suck, others blow
What this means is that the Coleman sucks air in through the condenser and blows it out the sides.. Others do it the other way around blowing air through the condenser.

Why is this important.
Cleaning coleman.. Remove 4 bolts, lift lid, peal crud off condenser, Replace lid (Cowel) and 4 screws.. Finished.

Others
Remove outer cover (Cowel) often 10-12 screws
Remove INNER cover (Not always easy)
If you have large hands remove fan
Now you can clean the condenser.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I work in the HVAC industry and never seen it this had. All the circuit boards, capacitors and relays are made in China and probably sitting off shore along the west coast. I struggle to get air conditioners and even enough parts to make repairs for my customers and this has been an issue for the last 6 months. While a year is a bit much, its not all that unusual.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

my brother in law had an Airxcel 15k go bad, He had to wait for stock to arrive at dealer... Dealer Said Airxcel is saying back order so they got the trailer back instead of leaving it there...It only took 2 weeks to come in.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ken1961
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted a 15,000 btu to replace one of my 13,500 btu for my 2013 gd but was told none available.
Ken

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try CALLING etrailer or RVParts. They actually have inventories vs shipping from manufactures.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
In June , while visiting my cousins' farm in Indiana, I ordered a 15btu heat pump from Camping world delivered to the farm. I think it was 1500 at the time. received it 10 days later via ups and installed it using their tractor bucket. They are out there but you do need to actually get on a "list" somewhere! They go out of stock as soon as they come in because of the "list"! Waiting over a year? I'd change shops! They aren't trying or don't want your business. The removal and installation, with the help of the lift, took less than an hour. Basically, unplug, unbolt 4 bolts then reverse. Don't want to do it? Order it then call a mobile guy to install it.

On looking at Camping, world shows a Dometic heat pump in stock and shipped free to my current location for $1440 I didn't push "buy" but it looks like it was a no problem. I don't like Camping world normally but they came through for me in this instance.
Bill

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just log in to my Amazon account and it show a heat pump one is on hand and ready to ship. Might be different when it click order. With whats going on in this world , you can never tell.

PPL motorhomes parts show they have them also.