cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aluminum Boat above cab and hood

mxdad777
Explorer
Explorer
I'm wanting to haul a 14' aluminum boat along with having my 5th wheel hooked up. I've seen some racks where the boat loads on top of the cab and extends out over the hood. Usually supported by a goal post of some type attached to the front of the truck. Do any of you have a set up like this? I'm looking into either buying one or making one. Thanks!

2021 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
2019 GMC Duramax 4x4

13 REPLIES 13

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:

I've yet to see a drop of water with a squared off bottom.

Tapering the back of the 5er could make sense. Tapering the top of the truck right before it hits the front of the 5er...not so much.

Yes, it would be better if the boat was not square on either end. And no matter which end is pointed on the boat there will not be a big change in the wind resistance of the whole rig. But the flat at back will be too far from front of trailer to push air away, the trailer will be hitting more turbulence.
Also, the OP is wondering about loosing room back of cab/trailer, with just the rack. To mount the boat, the end must stick past that rack. The narrower the end, the closer it can ride to trailer without hitting. The more of the boat, flat or pointed, that sticks out past the windshield, the more air the windshield pushes up will be caught, so back will be better.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
JRscooby wrote:
laknox wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
You can sometimes find these used on Craigslist.

https://boatloader.com/

Only thing I don't like about this is the fact that you're loading your boat a$$-end forward. I'd think that'd kill your mileage (even more). I'd figure out some way to load it so the pointy end is in front! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle

Look at the shape of a drop of water as it falls thru the air. Does it come down point first?
In the trucking industry they have found adding something to back of trailer, reducing that square to just slightly pointed makes a big decrease in wind resistance.

I've yet to see a drop of water with a squared off bottom.

Tapering the back of the 5er could make sense. Tapering the top of the truck right before it hits the front of the 5er...not so much.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mxdad777
Explorer
Explorer
I found a great deal on an Eide power loader with an aluminum rack that came off of the same model truck as mine. Now my concern is the 2 1/2โ€ I lost in clearance between the front cap and the headache rack thatโ€™s now mounted behind the cab. I have a standard bed and no slider hitch which at times was tight before adding the rack. Iโ€™m leaning towards a Sidewinder pin box to give me some more clearance.

2019 GMC Duramax 4x4

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Add the steel structure to carry a "Boat ??" ....then add the boat up front on your 2500 GM front axle. I see lots of snow birds going south with a set up like that but the boats look very small and lite weight.
Ya' sure don't want to overload the trucks front axle/tires.

I also see plumbing guys or other service folks doing garage over head doors with full length over head racks that sit at the back of the bed and on the trucks front frame rails. This gives a better overall front/rear axle loading.

And I see boat transport folks usually a one ton srw/drw with a full bass boat/trailer 300 hp merc on a over head rack and pulling another off the bumper.
let google be your search friend.

Excellent "bottom line" above!!

Go to the source = Give Eide Boat loader a call...:S

Check with folks that build (construction) racks for pickups!

Design your own - I did (long ago - as I was too cheap to purchase an Eide).

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Add the steel structure to carry a "Boat ??" ....then add the boat up front on your 2500 GM front axle. I see lots of snow birds going south with a set up like that but the boats look very small and lite weight.
Ya' sure don't want to overload the trucks front axle/tires.

I also see plumbing guys or other service folks doing garage over head doors with full length over head racks that sit at the back of the bed and on the trucks front frame rails. This gives a better overall front/rear axle loading.

And I see boat transport folks usually a one ton srw/drw with a full bass boat/trailer 300 hp merc on a over head rack and pulling another off the bumper.
let google be your search friend.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
If you use a dash mounted GPS, the boat may block the signal.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
goducks10 wrote:

Only thing I don't like about this is the fact that you're loading your boat a$$-end forward. I'd think that'd kill your mileage (even more). I'd figure out some way to load it so the pointy end is in front! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle

Agree. I've thought about doing what you're talking about but I don't like the stern of the boat facing forward either.

I don't think it's possible to have the boat facing forward and over the trucks hood vs bed when using a loader.

Only way is to do the pole on the front and manually lift it onto a roof rack.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
laknox wrote:
goducks10 wrote:

Lyle

Look at the shape of a drop of water as it falls thru the air. Does it come down point first?
In the trucking industry they have found adding something to back of trailer, reducing that square to just slightly pointed makes a big decrease in wind resistance.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
goducks10 wrote:

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

mxdad777
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the kind I want uses a winch to load the boat. You just have to help guide it on. There are lots out there that have the boat over the bed, but I need one that extends over the front hood because of my 5th wheel.

2019 GMC Duramax 4x4

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
I have one I use to haul a 16' canoe. It works very well, but putting your boat up there would be more than my tired old body would want to attempt. I'll probably quit hauling the canoe before too long as age is catching up with me. There is a company that makes a roof mounting system that mechanically pulls your boat up without all the strain of the goal post system. A google search should find it.
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you proceed I believe you'll find the "shade" created by the boat enjoyable...like a truck camper.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer