Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Aluminum Boat above cab and hood
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Aluminum Boat above cab and hood

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/21 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Add the steel structure to carry a "Boat ??" ....then add the boat up front on your 2500 GM front axle. I see lots of snow birds going south with a set up like that but the boats look very small and lite weight.
Ya' sure don't want to overload the trucks front axle/tires.

I also see plumbing guys or other service folks doing garage over head doors with full length over head racks that sit at the back of the bed and on the trucks front frame rails. This gives a better overall front/rear axle loading.

And I see boat transport folks usually a one ton srw/drw with a full bass boat/trailer 300 hp merc on a over head rack and pulling another off the bumper.
let google be your search friend.

Excellent "bottom line" above!!

Go to the source = Give Eide Boat loader a call...[emoticon]

Check with folks that build (construction) racks for pickups!

Design your own - I did (long ago - as I was too cheap to purchase an Eide).

mxdad777

Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/21 11:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found a great deal on an Eide power loader with an aluminum rack that came off of the same model truck as mine. Now my concern is the 2 1/2” I lost in clearance between the front cap and the headache rack that’s now mounted behind the cab. I have a standard bed and no slider hitch which at times was tight before adding the rack. I’m leaning towards a Sidewinder pin box to give me some more clearance.

2021 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
2019 GMC Duramax 4x4

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/21 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

laknox wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

You can sometimes find these used on Craigslist.

https://boatloader.com/

Only thing I don't like about this is the fact that you're loading your boat a$$-end forward. I'd think that'd kill your mileage (even more). I'd figure out some way to load it so the pointy end is in front! :-)

Lyle

Look at the shape of a drop of water as it falls thru the air. Does it come down point first?
In the trucking industry they have found adding something to back of trailer, reducing that square to just slightly pointed makes a big decrease in wind resistance.

I've yet to see a drop of water with a squared off bottom.

Tapering the back of the 5er could make sense. Tapering the top of the truck right before it hits the front of the 5er...not so much.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/21 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

I've yet to see a drop of water with a squared off bottom.

Tapering the back of the 5er could make sense. Tapering the top of the truck right before it hits the front of the 5er...not so much.

Yes, it would be better if the boat was not square on either end. And no matter which end is pointed on the boat there will not be a big change in the wind resistance of the whole rig. But the flat at back will be too far from front of trailer to push air away, the trailer will be hitting more turbulence.
Also, the OP is wondering about loosing room back of cab/trailer, with just the rack. To mount the boat, the end must stick past that rack. The narrower the end, the closer it can ride to trailer without hitting. The more of the boat, flat or pointed, that sticks out past the windshield, the more air the windshield pushes up will be caught, so back will be better.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Aluminum Boat above cab and hood
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.