Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: back to gas v diesel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> back to gas v diesel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
danrclem

Ky.

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/21 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I were to buy a new truck it would have to be a 7.3. My 5th wheel weighs about 8,000 lb. unloaded and I have no plans of getting anything bigger. I have a 6.2 with a 6 speed right now and it's not too bad but it could be better. If it had a 10 speed I think it would much better than it is right now.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/21 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw this thread this morning and during lunch I was filling up with diesel and what comes pulling up next to me? A 4500 Ram with a Hemi engine. I've been seeing this trend in the Ram truck line with more and more Hemi's replacing the cummins engine. So I had to ask the field tech why he has a gas engine and instead of diesel and his comment was emissions, transmission and injector failures. He said their entire fleet of trucks is just about converted to gas. Also he said the gas is underpowered in his truck.

[image]

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/21 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like the typical rv guy just bought a new truck. Its the best.

Mountains in Georgia ???
Hell Ive towed commercial trailers in Georgia with the old carb 460/454 gassers pulling 14K-16K GN trailers fully loaded and never saw a actual mountains. A few steep grades but not I would consider moutain grades. Nothing like what I hauled with the same truck/trailers in CO/NM real mountains.
No doubt Fords 7.3 is a great gass tow motor and should be a big hit with many rv folks.

30 min to warm up a diesel ??
And cold in Georgia ??
Hell my old '03 2500 Dodge/Cummins puts heat out on single digit temp mornings the first two miles from my garage. I guess he thinks a frost morning is cold weather. The february storm in 2011 had one morning down to -26 below here that nite and got up to 6 around noon. Ran the starting grid heater twice started right up. Pulled the exhaust brake on and with the high idle had warm air in the cab and engine temp ready to go in 4-5 actual min. Now the NV5600 took a while to shift gears.

His problem was he had the wrong diesel truck for his diesel vs gas analogy and seemed to make assumptions all diesel were like his.

Good vid tho on how the 7.3 gasser handles his small 7600 lb TT.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/21 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you are towing over 13-14k lb or more than 40-50k miles per year, diesel is a tough sell other than to sooth an ego.

If you have the money and just like the sound and feel, get one.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/21 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

I saw this thread this morning and during lunch I was filling up with diesel and what comes pulling up next to me? A 4500 Ram with a Hemi engine. I've been seeing this trend in the Ram truck line with more and more Hemi's replacing the cummins engine. So I had to ask the field tech why he has a gas engine and instead of diesel and his comment was emissions, transmission and injector failures. He said their entire fleet of trucks is just about converted to gas. Also he said the gas is underpowered in his truck.

[image]

LOL, nice try. My work has almost exclusively gas powered Fords; that switch occurred right after the 6.0L, 6.4L, and early 6.7L diesel fiascos. Most government agencies have gone to gas powered trucks for their smaller trucks.

Now, we bought 6 new Freightliner dump trucks; 3 of them are 3 tons with the Cummins 6.7L engine and 3 of them are 5 tons with the Cummins 9L engine. It will be interesting to see how they hold up, but the crews love them so far.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/21 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyJ wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

"I can see my engine": LOL, ok, you can see your engine. "look I can change my plugs and plug coils because I can see them." Ya, so? Diesels don't have those so why worry about it? And if it's so important to see your engine why not just get an inline?

Don't think that was meant in the literal sense.

There's no denial modern diesels have much higher repair / maintenance costs than modern gassers. At my current company nearly every fleet truck under 5ton is a gas.

I can show you my figures for "my" diesel showing I saved money over a gas truck in the time I owned it. Mileage alone is 25 to 30% better towing. My buddy bought a 1/2 ton Dmax and he is getting 30 solo and 18 towing a 28' TT. As far as higher repair I have replaced 4 glow plugs and a seal for the manual pump in 135K. The seal was 25 bucks from Napa and I put it on myself in about a half an hour.

You live in Canada so it must be a regional thing. Seeing a gas truck in the 2500/3500-250/350 is very rare around where I live. I went on a 9 state vacation this year and when I pulling into a campground and saw a 30+ TT or 5er it was almost always an oil burner.

I live out west where there are these thing called mountains. In high altitude turbo diesels rule. There is a reason you see a class 8-10 trucks with diesel engines in them. Believe me, if company's saved money with gas engines they would design, make and put them in big rigs.

Lastly, there is a WORLD of difference in maintenance for the big 3 diesels. I won't get into that here because of the fan boi's.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/21 11:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

There is a reason you see a class 8-10 trucks with diesel engines in them.

Sure for decades diesel fuel was cheaper per gallon and you got better MPG with diesel...win-win for a truck intended to put on 50-100k miles per year. You netted maybe 30-50% more miles per $1.

This lead to manufacturers almost exclusively designing motors for class 8-10 trucks as diesels because the gas engines wouldn't sell.

Swing back 15-20yrs ago and suddenly diesel is more expensive than gas, so the the fuel savings are much smaller but everyone is hard wired to spec a diesel engine and a big durable gas engine would have to be designed from the ground up (and yes, you can design a gas engine that will put out equivalent power and have similar long term durability...there is just no market for it.)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/21 12:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@valhalla360
It’s ok man…no one is ragging on your gasser truck, so maybe don’t rag on our diesels.
PS, I’d like to see these mythical gas engines that can have 300k+ mile durability and 1000ft lbs of torque and run on **** gas from the Arco station….
And, I won’t even look at the bsfc numbers, although any gasser doing heavy towing with that kind of power better be towing its own fuel tanker.
Reel it back in buddy. You’re out a little over your skis with your gasser assertions.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

manley

Wichita Falls, TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/21 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own a 7.3, and really like it… except for the fuel economy. 12 in mixed driving, 8 towing. Just a hair over 8,000 miles since June, and it fits my needs much better than a diesel would.

2021 F250 XLT FX4 SCREW Godzilla 7.3L
Hensley Arrow
2017 Open Range Light 272RLS

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/21 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Godzilla seems to me like its just another gas engine.
It tows well until the load gets too large and heavy. It still get worse MPG's, and does not travel as far vs. a diesel, considerably less MPG's towing.
It still revs twice as high a diesel. It resolves none of the classic gas vs. diesel issues.
I see nothing game changing about the 7.3 that revolutionizes towing with a gasser.
While I agree price matters the only comparison the godzilla wins is price, all other factors still favor diesel.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> back to gas v diesel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.