Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: back to gas v diesel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> back to gas v diesel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/21 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

How many trips will it take to cover the Platinum option over the XLT option?
Are those exclusive to gas vs. diesel?

Who cares... Which package is totally irrelevant!

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/21 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe need to change my approach here…y’all should go dump your diesels for gassers.
More diesels on the market = lower prices.
Gas FTW!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/21 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not every trailer needs a diesel engine. Several guys have good reasons because their style is not much towing. chevman

chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/21 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I have $65K to spend and so does someone else why does it matter what each person buys? I don't have a business so it's for enjoyment. I always find it funny that gas truck buyers need to think that diesel buyers need to recoup money when here we are on an RV forum where you lose way more money owning an RV than on the truck.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/21 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

If I have $65K to spend and so does someone else why does it matter what each person buys? I don't have a business so it's for enjoyment. I always find it funny that gas truck buyers need to think that diesel buyers need to recoup money when here we are on an RV forum where you lose way more money owning an RV than on the truck.
And I always find it funny the diesel guys brag about saving money at every fill up.
The nature of people I suppose.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/21 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

ksss wrote:

I had a '15 3500 with a 6.0 and 4:10's while I had a '15 3500 Duramax at the same time. The 6.0 was never set up to pull the TH, but it did haul equipment as did the Duramax. Loads were pretty heavy (last scaled weight I remember with the 6.0 was 31K combined). The 6.0 would get 5-6 mpg. The Duramax would get around 9 pulling the same loads. The diesel clearly pulled much better, but I never saw anywhere near the separation some claim between the two.

Your numbers show a 50% increase in fuel economy between the 6.0 and the Duramax. And there really is no comparison in the way the two tow. What are you referring to when you say "I never saw anywhere near the separation some claim between the two"?

I am referring to the large separation of mpg between the two. Someone stated 6 mpg with gas and 12 mpg with Diesel. I just don't see that in my world. It seems 3-4 mpg loaded or unloaded is all the difference I have seen between a 6.0 and 6.6 Dmax. No comparison on the experience itself. The diesel clearly wins in nearly all situations.

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

frankwp

Calgary, AB, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/21 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

frankwp wrote:

I'll have to try driving a new diesel. When I got my 8.1 in 2003, I drove a duramax to compare and was most underwhelmed. So not worth the $$$. But that was then & this is now & things have changed big time.

You should because things have changed a lot just like you said. Back when you bought your big block it had 340 HP and the diesel had only 300 HP. 40 HP is a big difference and couple that with the instant HP feel that the gas engine gives is going to be a lot.

Nothing wrong with kicking tires.

I'm curious how heavy of a trailer you towed with your 8.1 and what kind of mileage you got while towing?

I still have the truck & tow a 5th wheel that weighs in at just over 12,000 lbs loaded. It's just over the limit (about 200 lbs) of what the truck is rated to carry. It pulls very well. Most of my towing is through the mountains of Alberta & BC. I have no complaints about that.

Fuel mileage is quite another matter, averaging around 30L/100KM or 7.8 miles per US gallon. But fuel is just part of the cost of having fun & I lose no sleep over that.

Because I don't tow that much, maybe a couple thousand KM per year, and put well under 10,000 KM per year total, I'll probably get another gasser. But I will try the diesels as well before making a decision.

2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/21 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

That's sort of a flawed perspective. Businesses that need a diesel will buy a diesel. All the hot shotters are using diesels.
You do not see guys who criss cross the country in pick ups hauling goods using gas powered trucks.
Yes guys doing local business may use gas trucks, but in general those trucks are carrying smaller loads and not traveling as far. AS aresult the diesel advantage is less important vs. those that need to maximise performance from thier vehicles

Very, very few hot-shotters are fleets.

As I said: "Modern diesels are desired for performance, not lower lifetime cost"

So nothing contradicts - hot shotting requires performance.

Any business that DOESN'T need the performance of diesels are buying a gas. If diesels are cheaper over the lifetime they'd all buy diesel (like they did in the 90s early 2000s)

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/21 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyJ wrote:

Lantley wrote:

That's sort of a flawed perspective. Businesses that need a diesel will buy a diesel. All the hot shotters are using diesels.
You do not see guys who criss cross the country in pick ups hauling goods using gas powered trucks.
Yes guys doing local business may use gas trucks, but in general those trucks are carrying smaller loads and not traveling as far. AS aresult the diesel advantage is less important vs. those that need to maximise performance from thier vehicles

As I said: "Modern diesels are desired for performance, not lower lifetime cost"

Any business that DOESN'T need the performance of diesels are buying a gas. If diesels are cheaper over the lifetime they'd all buy diesel (like they did in the 90s early 2000s)

Every UPS, Amazon medium duty truck that roles past our house is gas powered. Even the small delivery vans are gas powered.

Having said that hot shotters drive mostly highway miles and that type of driving is the best for diesel emissions.

* This post was edited 12/23/21 05:36pm by FishOnOne *

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/21 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyJ wrote:

Lantley wrote:

You hit the nail on the head.
All diesel owners buy diesels for the performance not for the savings.

Lifetime savings is not part of my truck buying criteria.
Anyone who doesn't want,need, appreciate or understand diesel performance will be happy with a gasser.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> back to gas v diesel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.