cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are the HP wars over?

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
So I haven't been keeping up on the HP wars for years.

So I had a little time today and was checking out the 2022 HP wars of the big 3 and was shocked at what I saw. Ford not only was on top but dominated the other 2 by a county mile. I wasn't shocked that Ford was on top but by how far they were ahead.

Ford PS diesel= 475HP (holy ****)
Gm Duramax diesel= 445HP
Ram Cummins diesel=400HP

Now a 30HP lead is BIG but a 75HP lead is annihilating the competition!

So after seeing that, is the HP wars over and Ford won hands down? Is that it? Did Ford just win the gold metal and now it's over? Just like that?

Orrrrrr are people satisfied with their puny 400HP and 445HP and Ford can be the top gorilla?

I have friends that own all 3 brands and NONE are saying, "man I wish I had more HP." They use to!! They really did! I still have a 6.5 200HP diesel and wished I had more HP when I towed with that. With my 360HP Duramax I don't say that even with my 11K upgraded trailer. I just don't. And I tow in big mountains!

Maybe I'm getting old and don't GAS about HP anymore? Maybe 360HP is more than enough to do what I need to do and tow where I need to tow as fast as I want? Is that what the average Ram person says nowdays?

Have we maxed out and have come to a point where the average person just does not need anymore HP? I think we have!

What do you think?
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln
125 REPLIES 125

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
The promised 505 hp Duramax for 2023 was short lived:

Click

At the end of the day, all these trucks are pulling Ike within what... a minute of each other? That is one of the worst pulling conditions that most truck drivers won't encounter in their lifetimes anyway.

Its been clear to me for some time now that all 3 HD pickups are plenty powerful. Its up to the individual purchaser to find the one that works for them. For me, right now, its a Ram with something puny like 370 hp and 800 lb/ft torque. Somehow that is enough for everything I need.

My next truck in 5 years... who knows. I have confidence that any of them will have plenty of power. It will come down to comfort, price and wife approving the looks and features.

I agree with you that all three make enough power to satisfy most RVers. However on the Ike run the fact that the Ford was nearly a mile ahead of the other two after 8 miles is very impressive.

It will be impressive when they are proven to put 500k miles on them relatively trouble free.....Ford has pulled up short on that since the 7.3L. ๐Ÿ˜‰

How many miles do you have on your truck?

Still only 50k. I have a F-150 for work and usually drive my old Yukon in the winter time so the Ram is pretty much a dedicated trailer puller now. Most of the mileage it does have is towing heavy through the mountains, though.

I suppose then 500k miles is not critical.

My truck is my daily driver. There hardly isn't a day it doesn't get runned and I believe I'll get an easy 300k miles during my ownership.

Considering it's my last truck, 500k miles could very well be critical. I will be putting plenty of mileage on it when I'm retired.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another example of corporate investment instead of future diesel technology.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"I believe I'll get an easy 300k miles during my ownership."

I can't see why it won't make it much farther than that.

I'm sure it will but by that time I'm thinking I'll be ready for a new truck.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I believe I'll get an easy 300k miles during my ownership."

I can't see why it won't make it much farther than that.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:

Click

At the end of the day, all these trucks are pulling Ike within what... a minute of each other? That is one of the worst pulling conditions that most truck drivers won't encounter in their lifetimes anyway.

Its been clear to me for some time now that all 3 HD pickups are plenty powerful. Its up to the individual purchaser to find the one that works for them. For me, right now, its a Ram with something puny like 370 hp and 800 lb/ft torque. Somehow that is enough for everything I need.

My next truck in 5 years... who knows. I have confidence that any of them will have plenty of power. It will come down to comfort, price and wife approving the looks and features.

I agree with you that all three make enough power to satisfy most RVers. However on the Ike run the fact that the Ford was nearly a mile ahead of the other two after 8 miles is very impressive.

It will be impressive when they are proven to put 500k miles on them relatively trouble free.....Ford has pulled up short on that since the 7.3L. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Still only 50k. I have a F-150 for work and usually drive my old Yukon in the winter time so the Ram is pretty much a dedicated trailer puller now. Most of the mileage it does have is towing heavy through the mountains, though.

I suppose then 500k miles is not critical.

My truck is my daily driver. There hardly isn't a day it doesn't get runned and I believe I'll get an easy 300k miles during my ownership.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:

Click

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^ Yup, I guess an F450 cruising empty down the highway at 75 mph is a pretty good example of wasted rpm.... especially prior to the 10 speed.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"The worst situation to avoid if you want to save fuel is running high rpm and light load."

For that to happen you would have to lock in a gear to cause that to happen. Normal and cruise control the computer will pick the best gear for the situation.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
4x4ord wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
vahalla360 said: "But how many people aim the rig uphill and just push the pedal to the floor and push the truck to the limits?"

I do or my cruise control does on every long 6% grade it meets towing 35k combined. Does nothing to harm it. Engine and trans stay nice and cool.

The Ike averages 7%...and it burns a lot of fuel keeping the hammer down that hard.

From the few times that I have driven it, I would say you are wildly out of the norm pulling that kind of weight without backing off a bit.

The boys from FLT say the Ike is an 8 mile, 7% grade but in reality it is only a 7.8 mile stretch with an average grade of 5.6%. The Ram might have saved 1/3 gal of fuel by slowing down to 1800 rpm on an 8 mile grade but a diesel engine is fairly efficient when it is working hard with your foot to the floor. The worst situation to avoid if you want to save fuel is running high rpm and light load.

Youโ€™re down to talking yourself in circles, like every other thread like this.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
FishOnOne wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I still recommend popping the hood on all three if you plan on owning past warranty.

And looking underneath as well, especially if you "enjoy" doing your own maintenance.

At 9 years old and 230k miles my truck has been past warranty a long time ago. Replaced alternator, AC compressor, condenser coil, EGT sensors, Nox sensor, and passenger front hub bearing.

To date the engine, transmission and front/rear differentials haven't been touched.

did you save your recipts for the nox sensors, there is now a recall for thoes.

I'm sure I kept the receipt. I want to say the nox sensor got replaced around 120k miles so that was ~4 years ago and I never got a recall letter in the mail.

I got to say I sure do love that filter location. :B

call ford and ask them, I got a notice in the mail a moth ago and I go in for a reflash on the 5th, then I get a 1 year warenty if a couple of coads show up they do a bunch of more work for free. its recal number 21E01. its somthing to do that if the NOX sensors are malfunctioning they might not be throwing any indication of it so there is a reflash that makes them throw a code, and if one of the two codes pop up in the next year they replace them and somthing else . they say if my take a month or two after the reflash to get the check engin light and code if they are not functioning corectly.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
vahalla360 said: "But how many people aim the rig uphill and just push the pedal to the floor and push the truck to the limits?"

I do or my cruise control does on every long 6% grade it meets towing 35k combined. Does nothing to harm it. Engine and trans stay nice and cool.

The Ike averages 7%...and it burns a lot of fuel keeping the hammer down that hard.

From the few times that I have driven it, I would say you are wildly out of the norm pulling that kind of weight without backing off a bit.

The boys from FLT say the Ike is an 8 mile, 7% grade but in reality it is only a 7.8 mile stretch with an average grade of 5.6%. The Ram might have saved 1/3 gal of fuel by slowing down to 1800 rpm on an 8 mile grade but a diesel engine is fairly efficient when it is working hard with your foot to the floor. The worst situation to avoid if you want to save fuel is running high rpm and light load.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Never pulled the IKE but I am sure I would be pedal to the metal as long as I was at or under the posted speed limit.

Not sure what my weight has to do with "backing off a bit" ? My truck is SAE rated to tow that weight.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:

Click