Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Are the HP wars over?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Are the HP wars over?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/21 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

BobsYourUncle wrote:

More power has a price.
While Ford is stopping to refuel more often, GM and Ram will go sailing on past.
It's all relevant! [emoticon][emoticon]

Chevy
[image]
Ford
[image]
Ram
[image]

These results are for 250/2500 trucks so the Ram's data is the lower HP more fuel efficient engine. The Ford and Chevy use the same engine for 250/2500 and 350/3500 trucks.

Interesting that the Ram has way more vehicles, 115 to 43 and 22.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/21 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyJ wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

Torque is what counts when hauling a load.

LOL, I wish you would tell that to my 440ft/lbs of torque 6.5 when I'm doing 25 MPH up a hill and a 5.3 gas rig with 383ft/lbs comes blowing past me like I'm standing still pulling the same or bigger trailer. [emoticon]

How I like to put it: ultimately, HP gets a load up a hill (as per Newton). Torque is simply a way of making hp, via rpm.

But if an engine ONLY has torque (2000 lb-ft @ 150rpm), it's getting nowhere fast.

Another law of physics: you can always CREATE torque with gearing, but you cannot create more power.

You just made two opposing statements, first is Torque is a way making HP through RPM.
The second, you can create Torque through RPM and gearing.

The second is true.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/21 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Between emissions, reliability and cost..... I think the manufacturers are up against a wall. Could be a peak or a leveling off of HP gains..

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/21 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could be the Big 3 are realizing that the government is going to force them out of the diesel business in the next few years. So the management is pushing more funding into ELECTRIC towing vehicles.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Drew A.

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/21 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

So I haven't been keeping up on the HP wars for years.

So I had a little time today and was checking out the 2022 HP wars of the big 3 and was shocked at what I saw. Ford not only was on top but dominated the other 2 by a county mile. I wasn't shocked that Ford was on top but by how far they were ahead.

Ford PS diesel= 475HP (holy ****)
Gm Duramax diesel= 445HP
Ram Cummins diesel=400HP

Now a 30HP lead is BIG but a 75HP lead is annihilating the competition!

Cummins 2021

This says the HO Cummins is 420 HP and 1075 lb-ft

2018 Ram 3500 CTD, 4X4, Laramie, SRW, SB
2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/21 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

Personally I think I'd buy a Duramax if I were buying a new 2022 and I'd give it the edge over the Cummins due to the transmission. PS would be third place. That said I'm happy with my 2015 and intend to keep it many more years.

if you buying for the transmition you better rethink it. the torqushift trans in the ford was spicificly built to out preform the allison in every area and it has. in the tech articles it is the best trans of the three, dodge having the worst. the best thing about the duramax is out of the box fuel mileage for me, for the dodge while its numbers are up there it isn't revy and feels anemic driving around town to the other two. I ended up buying the ford because it was the best truck for the price I could find (used trucks) and have been very happy with it.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/21 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

IdaD wrote:

Personally I think I'd buy a Duramax if I were buying a new 2022 and I'd give it the edge over the Cummins due to the transmission. PS would be third place. That said I'm happy with my 2015 and intend to keep it many more years.

if you buying for the transmition you better rethink it. the torqushift trans in the ford was spicificly built to out preform the allison in every area and it has. in the tech articles it is the best trans of the three, dodge having the worst. the best thing about the duramax is out of the box fuel mileage for me, for the dodge while its numbers are up there it isn't revy and feels anemic driving around town to the other two. I ended up buying the ford because it was the best truck for the price I could find (used trucks) and have been very happy with it.

Steve

The 68RFE is my trucks weak point, I won't argue that. The Ford and GM transmissions are both better, I don't know enough about either to say which is the best between the two. The Powerstroke is a POS with that CP4, though, so that's a hard pass for me. I would agree also that the Cummins feels the least responsive poking around town but strap on a bunch of weight and get on the highway and it more than holds its own. Also has by far the best exhaust brake of the three which is huge.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/21 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

IdaD wrote:

Steve

The 68RFE is my trucks weak point, I won't argue that. The Ford and GM transmissions are both better, I don't know enough about either to say which is the best between the two. The Powerstroke is a POS with that CP4, though, so that's a hard pass for me. I would agree also that the Cummins feels the least responsive poking around town but strap on a bunch of weight and get on the highway and it more than holds its own. Also has by far the best exhaust brake of the three which is huge.

The Ford 6.7L used a modified CP4 starting in 2015 which employed a new coating on the pistons designed to reduce friction and help the pump survive small amounts of water. There were more modifications to the CP4 on the Ford engine in 2017. I don't think there has been a case of a CP4 failure since 2017. What I do find interesting is Ford's response to pre 2015 warranty claims - and frankly it's shameful - no argument there. Chevy moved away from the CP4 and so did Ram. But I think the newer designed CP4's, plus better water separators have addressed the issue. I have also seen aftermarket CP4 bypass kits but I would imagine they invalidate the warranty, but if Ford won't cover a failure anyway....

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/21 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

IdaD wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

IdaD wrote:

Steve

The Ford 6.7L used a modified CP4 starting in 2015 which employed a new coating on the pistons designed to reduce friction and help the pump survive small amounts of water. There were more modifications to the CP4 on the Ford engine in 2017. I don't think there has been a case of a CP4 failure since 2017. What I do find interesting is Ford's response to pre 2015 warranty claims - and frankly it's shameful - no argument there. Chevy moved away from the CP4 and so did Ram. But I think the newer designed CP4's, plus better water separators have addressed the issue. I have also seen aftermarket CP4 bypass kits but I would imagine they invalidate the warranty, but if Ford won't cover a failure anyway....

I believe Fords fuel system improvements came from an improved primary filter design. GM's Denso system continues to have some issues as well including injectors. Cummins implementation of their version of the CP4 was downright dismal.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/21 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Drew A wrote:

Cummins 2021

This says the HO Cummins is 420 HP and 1075 lb-ft

Thanks Drew. I have now seen 400, 410 and now 420. I don't know which is correct? I don't think Ram does either. LOL

I guess the point is there is a big difference in HP of the big 3.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Are the HP wars over?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.