cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaking 2-handle sink faucet Help!!

Hankjoe
Explorer
Explorer
My kitchen sink faucet in MH leaks at the base, all the stuff that shows how to fix talk about removing a nut under the handle (my faucet doesn't have). This is a 1997 MH Shasta - probably original faucet. Can't get the stem out - don't want to break.
16 REPLIES 16

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like a plan..

Did want to mention, to post photos, this forum does not host pictures, instead you need to use a third party host which offers hot linking without any login or membership requirement to view.

A member of the RV.net forum has graciously setup a free third party picture hosting access site for this forum.

You can reach that at http://photoposting.is-great.net/

You can drag and drop your photo into that website and it will give you a URL that has the correct format to work with this forum.

Copy the entire link it displays and you can paste it right into your posting..

Hankjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, sounds like the "welded" together just my luck. Was afraid to try to put too much muscle to get the plastic cone thing off or to move - yes 2 bowl metal sink. Had hoped the situation would be like a home faucet - which is pretty easy, not ๐Ÿ™‚ thanks for the link and advice. When weather warms up have a project ๐Ÿ™‚

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
The youtube link I posted way back showed a two handle faucet with a cone under the handles. That cone had to be unscrewed and removed in order to get the cartridge pulled out. The cone on that style was acting as a large nut holding the cartridge in place.

If the cone on yours does not look like it is removable (the cone hides the threads but cone should look like it is a separate part from the body of the faucet), if not removable it most likely is sonic welded together..

As far as things being tight, yeah, hate that, but as I mentioned before, the fix to that is to lift the sink bowl. If you look on the underside of the sink bowl they are typically held in place by little clamps with set screws. Some sinks do not even use clamps, instead they simply use Silicone caulking to glue and seal the sink in place. So unless you have a molded all in one or a Corian sink/countertop I suspect removing the sink bowl may be the quickest and easiest route.

I actually upgrade my kitchen sink bowl to one that has the faucet mount integrated to the sink apron. Never cared for having the faucet mounted directly to the counter top.. Water tends to get all over the counter and seeps under the faucet gaskets getting into the MDF board.. Water swells and weakens the MDF board counter top. With my sink upgrade, water from your hands will now drip on the sink apron and not on the counter top.

If you have a double bowl sink, do a search for a mobile home kitchen sink bowl with faucet apron built in.. Mobile homes use shallow kitchen counter tops like a RV so they must use a sink with less counter depth. If you have a single bowl, might still be able to find a mobile home sink with apron..

Hankjoe
Explorer
Explorer
ok, tried to do the pic - decided to wait - the water seem to leak at the base of the faucet(but doesn't seem to be consistent), can't find anything underneath that leaks. the water system when on goes lump (makes noise - every 5 or 10 min.)so we shut off the water system when not using. The area under the handles is plastic & looks like a "cone". I'm keeping the info in case I have to change out the faucet - it's really going to be tight - but if I have to will. Thanks for all the info & possible brands - MH is older 1997

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well there is always the option of holding up the credit card for the OP.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
My previous RV started leaking from the bathroom faucet. It was some off brand thing. I tried my best to find replacement parts for it. No joy. Finally, I emailed the company asking where to get parts. Their reply was "Delta faucet parts fit." I replaced the washers with Delta parts, and it stopped leaking.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
Replace the entire faucet!! Home Depot / Lowes should have what you need!!

I think that ship sailed a while ago, OP made it clear that they didn't want to go to the work of working in a small confined space where human hands can't fit..

I understand the hesitancy, working on sinks quite frankly stinks.. They are often jammed up against a wall and behind the sink bowl so you can't see anything let alone use a hand to disconnect the lines or even touch the nuts. But sometimes you just have to suck it up buttercup and dive in and get r done.

Those RV faucets are beyond junk to start with when they were new, I did a search for Camco RV faucet parts and came up totally dry for replacement parts. Camco is one of the largest suppliers for RV parts when it comes to water.. I would almost bet that the OPs faucet is sonic welded together which most certainly will result in total destruction with any attempts to remove the valve stem.

If one can't get to the faucet, make the faucet come to you, remove the sink bowl to gain access to the faucet. Most sink bowls are held in place with clamps on the underside. Find and remove the clamps, break the sink bowl free from countertop, disconnect the drain and pop out. Once out you now have full easy access to the offending faucet body. Remove the lines, remove the nuts and pull the faucet out. Most RV faucets are made 100% completely of plastic, the nuts holding the faucet in place are 100% plastic.. No worries about fighting corroded nuts or threads which makes this job very easy to do.

I wouldn't give one second of though in attempting to repair a RV faucet. They are just too cheaply made and even the lowest quality home DIY grade faucet found in Home Depot or Lowes will be a huge upgrade in quality.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Replace the entire faucet!! Home Depot / Lowes should have what you need!!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the suggestions here for replacement are not acceptable then take pictures and do the necessary research to find out the make/model. Check forumns etd. Mine looked like a Moen and they responded to the picture that it was not but might be a Danze which is was.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Typically a basin or crow foot wrench is used to remove the under counter nuts. And yes typically it's a small crowded area. And removal of the water lines may be constrained.

Bob

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hankjoe wrote:
Thanks - not sure I want to change out the faucet in that small space. Have the set screw out & knob off, but can't figure out how to get the stem out.

Many different stem designs, really hard to tell over the Internet.

Found a video of one style..

HERE

Some may have a plastic or metal clip that needs removed, some may require a specific wrench to unscrew the stem.

Once you get the stem out, the chances of you finding a new replacement cartridge is pretty darn low and then what will you do?

These are not like the old fashioned faucets from the 1900s-1960's where there was a rubber piece you replaced.. It will most likely be a cartridge.

However, by the time you get done messing around removing finding parts and then reassembling, you could have replaced the faucet not once but several times.

Removing the RV old faucet is very easy, they tend to be all plastic body, if need be, break the nuts holding the faucet in place and pull out.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any tab on the rest of the faucet?

A picture might get you some guidance.

Bob

Hankjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks - not sure I want to change out the faucet in that small space. Have the set screw out & knob off, but can't figure out how to get the stem out.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look for a removable tab on the handle that will reveal a set screw. Parts may/may not be available for a 23 year old faucet of some brand...

Plus at 23 years corrosion can be a big factor so consider replacement.

Bob