Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finding a TT that does not have Bunkhouse

2halfs
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone else experiencing this?

My husband and I are looking to purchase a used Travel Trailer in the years of 2016-2021. 27ft.to 32ft. in length (with slide out) that does not have a Bunkhouse.

I have only done online searching and it seems that 95% of the trailers I find in the years and foot range are all models with a bunkhouse.

We don't want a bunk house model......anyone else having this same experience?

We have not bought a TT since 2004, which we still own that trailer....it has held up well, but it is time for us to upgrade. I just did not realize the floor plans with bunkhouse became so dominating.

Open to anyone's suggestions of models to look for that are in the used year and length range I mentioned above.
Happiness in an RV is a Full Tank of Gas,
and an Empty Holding Tank!
18 REPLIES 18

eend
Explorer
Explorer
Arctic fox has some nice layouts, and you get a quality trailer.
https://northwoodmfg.com/arctic-fox-2/north-fork/.
2019 VW Tiguan
2015 F150 ecoboost
2013 Arctic Fox 22G
1971 Boler 1300

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I've thought about just buying a Bunkhouse model and then tearing out the bunks.

Folks have done this to create more storage space, a home office, ect. Not impossible to do, just takes some noodling on how to deconstruct the bunks without inflicting major damage to the walls.

Just have to make sure there isn't plumbing or mechanicals or something that can't be relocated under the bottom bunk that you can't work around before committing to the change.

Some bunk models have a mini "garage" behind the bunks with a nice big outside door hatch that can be used for storing outdoor furniture, hoses and such.. Removing the bunks could allow one to expand that storage a bit to handle extra outdoor stuff like bicycles..

Some see things like this as obstacles, I look at things like this as opportunity..

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've thought about just buying a Bunkhouse model and then tearing out the bunks.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
2Halfs I agree that our R Vision travel trailers are good quality because they were a division of Monaco Coach. My 2003 Trail Cruiser never had any serious maintenance issues after many years of hard travel and outside storage. YEP

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
The easiest way to rule out bunkhouses is to specifically search for rear living or rear kitchen models as they're more or less mutually exclusive with bunkhouses, especially in the lengths you're looking at (there's a short Cougar midbunk that's technically a rear kitchen but it was so unpopular that it was discontinued after just a few seasons, much to my dismay as I was going to pick one up as a work from the road unit in a few years)
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2halfs wrote:
WNYBob wrote:
We found a lightly used (and probably stored indoors)
2014 Evergreen Ascend 231RKB. It gives us just enough room for 2 grandkids. We love it.
If you find an older TT check it carefully and often. It had no delam when we purchased it, but showed delam after 6 months outside in the weather of WNY! I had to remove and reseal the clearance lights.

I had to laugh when I read your comment.

We own a 2004 R-Vision Trail Bay 27DS.

I absolutely love this floor plan. I adore the counter space, large area for TV (if you want a TV).
The ease of getting to the refrigerator and bathroom when closed up. I love that we can have dinnett and couch made into beds and you lose no floor space.

Honestly this trailer has fit our needs for 17 years....I hate to give it up, but we want to be updated with the today markets luxuries. Plus the other hard part is the trailer has held up through the years....no problems.

Thanks for the advice.

The comment I put into bold is pretty puzzling to me.

What "type" of "luxuries" are you really concerned with that you are looking for a new RV?

Not much has changed in RVs from yours other than perhaps different decor color pallet, perhaps different cabinet and counter top, wall paper, flooring finishes/colors.

You can dress that stuff up yourself with paint, wallpaper, flooring and yes you can even change the countertops if you like.

If it is luxuries like IoT (Internet of Things) connected systems to your phone and automated stuff you are far, far better off installing that stuff yourself. The IoT stuff put into the RVs isn't top quality and when it breaks getting repair support can be impossible.

Just because yours is "old" doesn't mean one must replace it, if you like what you have and want a newer refreshed look, consider DIYing some updates to yours.. RV stuff isn't all that great so anything you change will be vastly superior to any new RV.

2halfs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.

Some I have tried, some I did not think about.

Will keep looking.

2halfs
Explorer
Explorer
WNYBob wrote:
We found a lightly used (and probably stored indoors)
2014 Evergreen Ascend 231RKB. It gives us just enough room for 2 grandkids. We love it.
If you find an older TT check it carefully and often. It had no delam when we purchased it, but showed delam after 6 months outside in the weather of WNY! I had to remove and reseal the clearance lights.

I had to laugh when I read your comment.

We own a 2004 R-Vision Trail Bay 27DS.

I absolutely love this floor plan. I adore the counter space, large area for TV (if you want a TV).
The ease of getting to the refrigerator and bathroom when closed up. I love that we can have dinnett and couch made into beds and you lose no floor space.

Honestly this trailer has fit our needs for 17 years....I hate to give it up, but we want to be updated with the today markets luxuries. Plus the other hard part is the trailer has held up through the years....no problems.

Thanks for the advice.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi. A lot will depend on your specific camping needs and wants of course. Sounds like you are looking for a "couples only" rig for the most part?

We have always been just a couple and this is our second TT in the last 19 years, so we don't need much.. Just some space and an excuse to not have any overnight guests in the rig.. ๐Ÿ™‚

If you like group camping, or having guests, that's great! But, for us, this floor plan works best for us and we really enjoy it.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
We have same dilemma with our camper on our site in NC. Our seasonal site has a BH but we are seriously considering turning it into a big pantry and storage area. Our advantage is that we will never tow it off the site. We have a couch and table to convert to a sleeping area if needed. Hopefully not needed, lol!
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are four models on this page that fit your criteria. You could try searching by model number:

Grand Design Imagine Travel Trailers

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Theyโ€™re out there, but agree the majority seem to be bunkhouse models.
We were initially searching g for a TT, no bunkhouse and a full outdoor kitchen.
But then realized that if more โ€œspaceโ€ is what we were after, toyhaulers with an open โ€œgarageโ€ provided the most living space. Maybe worth a look at those.
Added advantage, back opens up and can use the deck as well and can screen or tent the back of the camper. Much more โ€œopenโ€ than a TT.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bunkhouses, long trailer and lots of slides are and have been the rage for quite a few yrs. The RV manufacturers make what sells and is popular which is why they are easy to find.

In the used market folks that bought huge bunkhouses, their kids have grown up and left the nest and they want to downsize making a glut of a particular style.

If you don't want a bunkhouse, you will need to be patient and keep searching.

Check Craigslist, free trader magazines, dealer lots, and even folks front yards for trailers for sale.

Although, if you really want that large of a RV, consider the idea that depending on the configuration of the beds in the bunkhouse you can remove them and reconfigure it to something more useful like a home office, mini gym/workout area and so on.. Fixed stuff like beds can often be removed and then you can find a new use for that space to fit your lifestyle.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking on RV trader halfway down on the left after checking travel trailers you will see bunkhouse options.
Maybe this will help, search within 500 miles of sacramento 2016-2021 models, 24-34' with no bunks
rv trader
just reset the filters to change it to anything you wish.