cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microwave not working….solved problem.

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Posting this so others can laugh or save a little work. Microwave cutout while camping last weekend. We run generator power and I confirmed gen was still on and running (because I could hear it). Removed microwave, housing and pulled it out. Nothing obvious. Checked fuses, all good. Tried another outlet and nothing. After googling for an hour I considered taking the microwave apart to see if there was a fuse that was blown. Decided against it because I was in a hurry and needed to run to town for something. Went to cut off the generator and realized the locking plug worked itself loose and disconnected. Doh! Oh well, at least it wasn’t something actually wrong. Long story short, check the basics before dismantling things. Carry on.
8 REPLIES 8

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
As part of my PDI for the current RV I found miswired kitchen plugs with the 3 light tester. Monaco did not connect the ground wire.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always carry the 3 light household tester and mine has a button to trip test a GFCI. This tester is a good test for 20 or 30A plugs. It will also check 3 of the 4 wires for a 50A plug. 30 and 50A adapters required of course.

I've found dead and miswired 20/30A plugs. My Progressive HW50C checks and monitors much more.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
A friend's wife once called me to come over. I am handy, and her husband is not. He was wanting to cut the grass and had been trying to start the mower for over half an hour. She wanted me to fix the mower. I drove over there...........and put gas in the mower.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
My water heater wouldn't light, so naturally, I dismantled it, cleaned the orifice, checked that there was spark. Put it back together. No joy. Tried to light the stove...hmmm...I wonder. Checked the propane tanks. Yep. The open tank was empty. Switched to the other tank, and voila!! K.I.S.S.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Easy, cheap fixes are always the best. Thanks for sharing.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ah the old "Lady I think I see your problem already"

Plug...... socket
(should be plug=socket)

On my motor home the generator suddenly quit working.. (This was in the rig's 1st year) I was a bit upset till I got in the driver's seat and cranked up the main engine to head home... Then I figured out the problem.. Pulled into the first gas station that I fit in and fixed it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
congrats! classic 'simple things first'

Fortunately yes…..just a perfect storm of us not having any AC powered electronics on otherwise it would have been obvious. That or using the volt meter I had….

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
congrats! classic 'simple things first'
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle