cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

IT'S A GAS!

fill
Explorer
Explorer
This site is recreational, so I have a camping question.

Santa has been programed to bring me a Bluu Camping Stove, A Chinese knock-off of the JetBoil System, and far less $.

The question is the stove system is made for those iso-butane canisters. I know I can get an adapter that allows those disposable propane cans.
I think propane burns cooler, but is under higher pressure to compensate. If I add the adapter will the higher pressure damage a butane system?

Fill
โ€™08 GL 1800
Pulling a โ€™80 Eagle 1 Trailer or โ€™12 Roll A Home (wide bed, brakes)
GWRRA
11 REPLIES 11

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
fill wrote:
Let us know how many blue canisters it uses for 2 steaks,

Haven't upgraded to steaks yet, but I did put in 1 cup of room temp water. Took 60 seconds to a hard boil.

Fill

Huh??
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fill
Explorer
Explorer
Let us know how many blue canisters it uses for 2 steaks,

Haven't upgraded to steaks yet, but I did put in 1 cup of room temp water. Took 60 seconds to a hard boil.

Fill

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Coleman camp stove (grill on left, burner on right). I have a Stay-A-While Deluxe adapter:

I connect the 12' gas grill hose that comes with the Stay-A-While to the top port on the adapter and connect the other end to regulator on the Coleman stove - where the butane bottle normally goes.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

fill
Explorer
Explorer
Good Logical Info; I'm considering. :h

Fill

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
You do you.
You can keep 2-3 fuel cans in the space of a propane bottle. IMHO, unless you want heat at the same time, a battery/LED is better for light.
I still carry propane heater in pickup for emergency. And I am working to make fridge work on 1 lb bottle, but am trying to get away from propane.

fill
Explorer
Explorer
What reason to hook propane up to that kind of stove?

just as a back-up. I carry the propane cans for a lantern and / or a heater. I think I'm going down to Academy Outdoors store. They had the small butane cans (100 gms) for $4.99 and the next size up for $5.99.

Fill

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^What I was wonderingโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used a Jet-Boil for a long time. The little canister that fit in the pot will make me a couple of cups of coffee a day, and 4-5 Mountain House meals, and last at least a week. Mostly I use the larger canisters, unless wanting to pack smaller. What reason to hook propane up to that kind of stove?

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Let us know how many blue canisters it uses for 2 steaks, I had a Chinese grill once that used 4 canisters and still raw meat, ended using the oxi-acetylene rosette on the on the 2 steaks.

navrgator

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vapor pressure of propane is 122 psi at 70F and Butane is 16.3 psi

May also need a replacement jet to get the air/fuel mix correct.

I would not operate the stove on propane in an enclosed area. Not sure it would be safe anywhere unless rated.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well likely no but with "Made in China" I can not be sure of that.

One thing I am sure of..
What happens if you get the proper mixture of Propane and air and there is a spark or flame?

(You land 2 counties over) (Well that was the joke answer but the teacher liked it and said "Exactly" after the class got done laughing.. I'm sure you get the idea)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times