cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Northern Lite power side awning not working

Mammoth501
Explorer
Explorer
So I finally got to pick up my brand new Northern Lite 8-11 EX LE and take it out for a test run. We're 4 days in on our trip and finally hit some warmer weather so I figured I'd try the side awning for the first time. When I turn the switch to on and try to extend it, nothing happens. First thing I did was check the fuse panel but there's not even a fuse labeled for Awning. I'm not very good with wiring so I don't even know where to begin to look. The dealership is closed for the holidays so I figured I'd try here, hopefully you guys can help me. Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6

Mammoth501
Explorer
Explorer
I tried with the switch on and then off, extending and retracting. Nothing. So I got a meter and checked the switch. Thereโ€™s no power at the switch. Also the last few days the one light in the ceiling at the back of the rig has been coming on and off on its own but only very dim. Thatโ€™s where the awning switch is too, at the back, so I wonder if thatโ€™s somehow related.

650cent
Explorer
Explorer
there is an on/off switch next to the extend and retract switch. try turning that switch "on" first.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
check your controle panel area, a few campers I looked at had a switch there and by the door and the panel one had to be on for the door one to work. cant remember which brand it was in but NL was one of the ones we looked at that day.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure what type of arms you have with your awning ( vertical or horizontal) to extend but on the vertical type, power goes to the master head unit and the other is passive. You can usually see wires extending from the side wall somewhere. The switch is a good place to start and checking to see if power is at the head unit would be an easy 2nd check, even with a light tester and someone operating the switch.
My awning sometimes sticks and a small helping tug on the support arm as it falls away from the mounting channel is enough.
Good luck!
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Mammoth501
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
This is a real long shot. Try hitting the retract button and see what happens. Possibly it could have been wired wrong. Or, someone held the extend button and the awning rolled up backwards causing you to bump up on the stops and shutting itself down.

Try bumping the switch back and forth while observing the motorized end. Zero movement means no juice. Odd that Northern Lite didn't detect a problem on the PDI. Good luck.

I tried hitting the retract button and there's no movement or sound what so ever. My guess is there's no power going to it. I took the switch out of the wall, thought maybe a loose wire but they're all attached. I don't know the wiring on this rig at all so I don't know if the switch is wired correctly. I brought some tools with me just not a voltage meter so I'll have to go get one and see if there's even power going to the switch. Start there I guess. The other thing is, shouldn't there be a fuse for the awning somewhere? The fuse panel says nothing about an awning and I don't see any fuses anywhere else on the rig.
When I picked up the camper it was covered in snow and ice so they told me not to play with the awnings, witch I understand but I wonder if they knew about this problem and didn't want me to find out on pick up day. Either way, they are the ones that should fix this but I'm hoping that it's just something simple since everything is brand new so I don't have to waste time going back to the dealership.
I should also add that I do have power going to the LED lights on the awning, they work just fine. Don't know if that says anything or not

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
This is a real long shot. Try hitting the retract button and see what happens. Possibly it could have been wired wrong. Or, someone held the extend button and the awning rolled up backwards causing you to bump up on the stops and shutting itself down.

Try bumping the switch back and forth while observing the motorized end. Zero movement means no juice. Odd that Northern Lite didn't detect a problem on the PDI. Good luck.