Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Tandem axle vs single
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tandem axle vs single

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Igotaname

Jacksonville

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/21 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the towing difference with the axle, tandem/single. Any advantages? Disadvantages? The only thing I can think of is if a tire blows out on a tandem at least you still can pull and your not on the side of the road.

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/21 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If a tire blows out on a tandem axle trailer you will still be on the side of the road fixing it, but the trailer will still be upright.

2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/21 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Usually a lot more cargo capacity.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Lwiddis

Near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/21 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cargo capacity is one advantage. Many single axle TTs have just a few hundred pounds of cargo capacity after you load water, propane and batteries. Blowing a tire, which will happen…and to you, is another. Easy to run the inflated tire up a ramp and change the bad one. I would never buy a single axle TT.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/21 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Snip... Blowing a tire, which will happen…and to you, is another. Snip...

Not necessarily! I have been driving for 70 years, 50 of them towing a trailer of some kind, and have never had a blowout in all of those years. Only had one flat tire and had that changed in about 30 minutes.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/21 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is all about GVWR. The manufacturer is going to put one axle for lighter trailers and two if the weight requires it. Towing is not different.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/21 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

It is all about GVWR. The manufacturer is going to put one axle for lighter trailers and two if the weight requires it. Towing is not different.

I have towed with both single and two axle, there is subtle differences in handling and ride.

Single axle trailers tend to be smaller shorter lengths than two axle trailers, length does affect towing handling and ride some. Very short trailers react faster to small changes.

Granted the single axle trailer I had was short at 12ft, and my shortest two axle is 18ft. Hands down the 18ft trailer was smoother and much easier handling tow than the 12' trailer.

The absolute worst tow was bringing my new log splitter home (6ft in length), that thing was hopping and jumping and swaying around all the way home.

As far as axle GVWR and capacity goes, they can easily put a single 10K lb axle in place of two 5,200 lbs axles if they wanted to.. They could put one single 4K lb axle in place of two 2K lb axles if they wanted to. Cost may play a role in the reasoning as to why the choice made, two lighter axles may pencil out a bit cheaper and lighter weight than one large heavy axle even figuring in costs of springs for each axle.

As far as blowouts, both will put you one the side of the road so one should always be prepared by carrying a spare tire. While it may be possible to take a flat tire off of a two axle and then go to the effort of strapping the side with the missing tire, it is not a good idea as you will most likely overload the mating tire on that side putting more stress on the other tires and axles.. I suspect a strapped axle without a tire might attract some attention from the police that you may not want.

As far as towing handling and ride goes from my experience, I would give two axle a slight edge over single axle.

Lwiddis

Near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/21 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Barney, you are very lucky!

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/21 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like said above, single axel is harder to back up as it responds much quicker. Dule axels are also more stable when set up then single ones. Other then that and being able to use a ramp to change a tire and stability when parked, there isnt much diffrence.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/21 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why do some people think that a single axle trailer is going to tip over if you have a flat? I have been pulling single axle trailers for over 50 years and have never had a trailer do anything more that pull slightly to the side of the flat. When a tire goes flat (or blows out) the trailer only drops about 4 or 5 inches. The only way for it to be extremely dangerous is if you swerve when the tire goes flat.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tandem axle vs single
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.