Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Advice on replacing my IOTA battery charger for boondocking
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Advice on replacing my IOTA battery charger for boondocking

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/21 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking for advice, or maybe just reassuring confirmation that what I am thinking is sound.
I'm looking for a three stage battery charger that I don't have to worry about. I just want to start the generator, plug in the shore power cord, let it run for a few hours and get the batteries back up to 90 percent.

I have a 2005 Jayco Jayflight 27BH travel trailer with a IOTA DLS-3045 load center (I have verified that IQ4 is not an option on this unit). I almost exclusively dry camp with two 6volt Costco batteries and a Honda EU2000i generator.

I was thinking about replacing my charger with an IOTA DLS-45 with IQ4. Not sure why I'm focusing on IOTA except that it's the same brand as the load center. With the IQ4 it is supposed to be a true 3 stage charger. IOTA DLS-45

My other thought based on years reading this form is something from Progressive Dynamics in the 92xx series. But the 92xx series appears to have a remote pendant that I have to use to put it into bulk mode which I want to avoid. Progressive Dynamics 92xx

I am thinking 45 amp so I don't need to upgrade the battery wiring.
I have plenty of room behind the load center for a deck mount charger.
Solar will probably be a few years off.

Two postings I found here that mention exactly what I'm thinking about.
Link 1
Link 2

What are your thoughts?

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Lwiddis

Near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/21 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“ I was thinking about replacing my charger with an IOTA DLS-45 with IQ4.”

Go solar now and stop thinking about battery recharging 99% of the time, and recharge to 100%.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/21 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Progressive Dynamics PD9245C is a fine unit that would easily service your needs. It does NOT come with a remote control unit unless you order that. I have this charger in my mini motor home and know literally hundreds of others with same unit ... and have never heard any complaints.

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/21 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a PD9160 with the charge wizard pedant, I don't think you can go wrong with the PD series as long as you have the pendant.

So far I have been able to get 9yrs of use from a pair of 6V GC2s combined with my PD9160 with charge wizard. Would consider another PD series if my current one quits.

With that said, Iotas, as long as you have the IQ4 pendant seem to have similar specs to the PDs. Don't think I have heard anything bad posted about Iotas with IQ4 pendant.

If you didn't mind upgrading your wiring, there is a surplus electrics outlet which currently has Iota DLS-90 units for $125, they are working "pulls" from some sort of equipment so they are selling as used.

Find that HERE, the IQ4 pendant is not included with that unit but the price is right for 90A..

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/21 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've installed a couple IOTA products over the years and like them. I'd install the largest charger your generator will power so it will charge faster and reduce run time.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/21 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the DLS-45 will serve you well.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/21 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the PD9245CV and it works fine and goes into Boost Mode as soon as I plug in my onboard Onan,and will stay there until the batteries are fully charged. I have the modified 14.8 PD9245-CV

Mine came from Best Converter with the pendent,I like this so I can choose how I want to charge my Batteries.
[image][image]

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/21 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgot to mention, since you are considering a external "deck" converter, you can relocate the deck converter much closer to the batteries. This makes it easy to upgrade the wiring between the batteries and converter.

Just need a place handy to plug in the converter and opens up the option for a higher amperage converter. Then disconnect the old converter output at the fuse box and you can disconnect the 120V side of the converter from the breaker panel.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/21 01:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. So the PD will go in or out of boost mode without me having to monitor the charge current and flip it manually?

And Gdetrailer, the relocation of the charger is intriguing. My current load center is near the back of my 30 foot trailer. What would be involved if I was to move the charger up front closer to the batteries? Would I be extending the wires from my shore power cord where it terminates at the load center? I'm assuming since I'm extending 120v AC wiring it would be a smaller gauge than 12v DC wiring of the same distance. Are we talking something like 6awg or is that too thick and 8awg would suffice?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/21 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces,

Yes the PD will--but the pendant allows the user to trigger boost charging--and that is well worth having.

If planning to charge only to 90% I suggest investigating SiO2 batteries.

Regular lead acid charged to 90% will exhibit progressive capacity loss.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Advice on replacing my IOTA battery charger for boondocking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.