cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GPS

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
My GPS is 21 yrs old and never been updated. I am going to be buying a new one. What do you all suggest? I use it mostly when we go camping. Thank you
samsontdog:o:W
18 REPLIES 18

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
LouLawrence wrote:
Why does cellular continue to be talked about. This is simply not an issue with the phone/tablet usage with Google Maps and WAZE.
What if the tablet/phone doesn't have onboard GPS? Would you still not need cell access?

You really have to try if you want to find one that doesn't come with built in GPS. If you do find one, it's likely been in a warehouse for the last 10yrs gathering dust.

PS: Low bridges are really not a big issue. Check your route over before departing and most obvious issues will be apparent.
I actually didn't know if all cell phones came equipped with GPS. I don't pay any attention to phones.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
LouLawrence wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
LouLawrence wrote:
Why does cellular continue to be talked about. This is simply not an issue with the phone/tablet usage with Google Maps and WAZE.
What if the tablet/phone doesn't have onboard GPS? Would you still not need cell access?

That really has nothing to do with the conversation but if you are using a flip phone you likely don't need to be in this discussion.
Thanks Richard, I actually didn't know if all cell phones had GPS built in, which was why I asked. Thanks again Richard.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
LouLawrence wrote:

You really have to try if you want to find one that doesn't come with built in GPS. If you do find one, it's likely been in a warehouse for the last 10yrs gathering dust.

PS: Low bridges are really not a big issue. Check your route over before departing and most obvious issues will be apparent.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
LouLawrence wrote:

That really has nothing to do with the conversation but if you are using a flip phone you likely don't need to be in this discussion.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
LouLawrence wrote:
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
We recently acquired an 890 and are learning to use it effectively, but it still sucks for a planing platform. It really is a shame that we are going to be doing planing and enroute navigation with a 2015 copy of Street Atlas until it is completely useless. When looking ahead for fuel and ONP stops that may change by the moment, having the navigator device not get upset is worth the effort to learn it.

This week I am hoping to cross load my SA address book to the 890, but I know I can't input all of the POI files I have.

With very little effort, Garmin could OWN the dashboard of every RV that travels any farther than one days drive from home. Particularly any of us that run out of cell phone coverage.

I had such great hope when Garmin bought out Delorme only to have it smashed on the rocks of NIH....

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Garmin 890RV also. Pro is you input your RV size and hazards are avoided, low bridges overpasses, etc. It will also avoid Google's shortest route down some one lane dirt & gravel roads. Screen size is nice and is pretty intuitive if you use an android tablet you're in.
Con: Cannot change the directions voice. Ours is permanently on Zoe, which we dislike. Garmin said they are working on this. Yeah!
All in all do get one for a RV. You won't regret it.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I currently use a Garmin RV 890. It is an Android tablet with a Garmin overlay. I like the size since it sits further away on my truck dashboard, and the large size allows more side roads & route information along side your route than the smaller GPSs. Lifetime maps and you upload them directly to the tablet - no computer necessary.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I plan out my routes rather than let a GPS figure out what would be the best way for me to go. I use Basecamp, and then transfer to my Garmin Nuvi 2539. I don't believe it's very easy to do with Google Maps, at least according to my step-son. He likes Google Maps and Waze, but he also prefers the way I do routes.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt I'd be buying another Garmin. That thing is only good on the freeway, but in town I use Verizon/google. My Garmin doesn't even know roads that have been there for 40 years.

And I never get tired of seeing "Rv accessibility unknown."
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
21 years and no map updates? Anything you buy will be much better than what you gave now, and have many more features than you may want, or wish to learn. In my opinion, Garmin is still the gold standard for GPS based mapping devices but they are not infallible. I have a Garmin 760 and use it when going long distances in the RV. One of the best features is you can update the thing wirelessly, no pc required.

A word on Google maps is if it canโ€™t get me to my house, why would I use it to go somewhere else? I live on a main road and Google send delivery drivers down a wrong road, even when they are on the right road already.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all who replied. Any help this old 84 yr old helps. Drove from Yuma to Sac Dec 18 and back from Sac to Yuma yesterday with no GPS and crazy fast drivers on I 5 and threw out LA
samsontdog:o:W

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
LouLawrence wrote:
pconroy328 wrote:
There have been a lot of improvements in 21 years! I take it you have Google Maps on your phone but you want a unit that does NOT need an internet connection to work?

Will you use it while driving? Or hiking?

We see this all the time. Google Maps does not need a cellular signal to work. It does need a connection to setup the trip or somewhere along the early part of the trip but it downloads the upcoming instructions so going without a cellular connection for periods of time will not effect its performance.
All you need is Google Maps and/or WAZE (both free!) and you will have the best highway information at your fingertips. As an example, the other day, heading S. on I-85, the highway was closed due to a deadly accident. Google Maps routed us around it while your stand alone GPS would have taken you directly into that stand still traffic.

x2

Does Google Maps route you around low clearance, low weight limit roads? Not the last time I checked.

Google maps is good, but it's not the end-all-be-all for navigation. It has it's place, but so does a RV/Truck GPS for many of us.

I've used the Garmin 770 for several years and have been happy with it. I'm sure the newer ones have additional features that might be of value to some.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E