Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: GPS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/21 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My GPS is 21 yrs old and never been updated. I am going to be buying a new one. What do you all suggest? I use it mostly when we go camping. Thank you

samsontdog">">

pconroy328

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/21 11:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There have been a lot of improvements in 21 years! I take it you have Google Maps on your phone but you want a unit that does NOT need an internet connection to work?

Will you use it while driving? Or hiking?

Scottiemom

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/21 04:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the new Garmin 785 RV GPS. It has a camera in it and will alarm if I depart too far from my lane. It does a good job for me in my little motorhome. It also has a 7" screen which I like. I bought it from Techno RV and at the time they had a comparison chart of several different models which I found useful.

Dale

Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/21 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pconroy328 wrote:

There have been a lot of improvements in 21 years! I take it you have Google Maps on your phone but you want a unit that does NOT need an internet connection to work?

We see this all the time. Google Maps does not need a cellular signal to work. It does need a connection to setup the trip or somewhere along the early part of the trip but it downloads the upcoming instructions so going without a cellular connection for periods of time will not effect its performance.
All you need is Google Maps and/or WAZE (both free!) and you will have the best highway information at your fingertips. As an example, the other day, heading S. on I-85, the highway was closed due to a deadly accident. Google Maps routed us around it while your stand alone GPS would have taken you directly into that stand still traffic.

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/21 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LouLawrence wrote:

pconroy328 wrote:

We see this all the time. Google Maps does not need a cellular signal to work. It does need a connection to setup the trip or somewhere along the early part of the trip but it downloads the upcoming instructions so going without a cellular connection for periods of time will not effect its performance.
All you need is Google Maps and/or WAZE (both free!) and you will have the best highway information at your fingertips. As an example, the other day, heading S. on I-85, the highway was closed due to a deadly accident. Google Maps routed us around it while your stand alone GPS would have taken you directly into that stand still traffic.

x2

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

rdhetrick

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/21 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry cad wrote:

LouLawrence wrote:

pconroy328 wrote:

x2

Does Google Maps route you around low clearance, low weight limit roads? Not the last time I checked.

Google maps is good, but it's not the end-all-be-all for navigation. It has it's place, but so does a RV/Truck GPS for many of us.

I've used the Garmin 770 for several years and have been happy with it. I'm sure the newer ones have additional features that might be of value to some.

Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/21 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you to all who replied. Any help this old 84 yr old helps. Drove from Yuma to Sac Dec 18 and back from Sac to Yuma yesterday with no GPS and crazy fast drivers on I 5 and threw out LA

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/21 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

21 years and no map updates? Anything you buy will be much better than what you gave now, and have many more features than you may want, or wish to learn. In my opinion, Garmin is still the gold standard for GPS based mapping devices but they are not infallible. I have a Garmin 760 and use it when going long distances in the RV. One of the best features is you can update the thing wirelessly, no pc required.

A word on Google maps is if it can’t get me to my house, why would I use it to go somewhere else? I live on a main road and Google send delivery drivers down a wrong road, even when they are on the right road already.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/21 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I doubt I'd be buying another Garmin. That thing is only good on the freeway, but in town I use Verizon/google. My Garmin doesn't even know roads that have been there for 40 years.

And I never get tired of seeing "Rv accessibility unknown."

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/21 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I plan out my routes rather than let a GPS figure out what would be the best way for me to go. I use Basecamp, and then transfer to my Garmin Nuvi 2539. I don't believe it's very easy to do with Google Maps, at least according to my step-son. He likes Google Maps and Waze, but he also prefers the way I do routes.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.