Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: this is why
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > this is why

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
jaycocreek

Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 12/28/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/31/21 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I know people that live in rv's all year round in alberta. -45 and there warm as a bug but they have the big 200 gal propain tanks and they put bales around the outside with heating lamps under the unit and so on.


In an RV park with hookups is one thing,on a job site without power is another..I have had several vynal skirts made for my RV's and done the hay just once because of mice..insulation board then the V-skirting with lights under specific places..That's the way I lived for years when not on the site..Oh and hair dryer in hand..lol...

The older RV's were easier to keep from freezing them the new ones..Water lines in the open inside that really only froze by the doors which could be fixed...

Boondocking without power in an rv sure is a learning experience especially below zero and why we went wood heat and winterized on site in the boonies..


Lifepo4-380ah/Lithium NMC-140ah/Solar-400 watts/Wagan & Giandel PSW/Engel & Iceco 3-1 compressor fridge freezer/5K Window AC/Honda 2K

BFL13

Victoria, BC

Senior Member

Joined: 02/15/2006

View Profile



Posted: 12/31/21 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A big thing that has changed the story since last year is that now the LFP blurbs say you can charge them at full amps between freezing and 5C/40F. Before they said you had to use reduced amps till batt temp was above 5C.

(However the LFPs with heaters still have the charger doing heating until the battery is to 5C/40F before it allows charging to commence, so that might have to be changed.)

That is a big deal when you have two hours gen time to restore the AH you need to get through till next gen time.

Winter camping around here typical days are say 7C day and 0C night. The provincial parks say gen time is 9-11am (ignoring the 6-8pm time in the dark) So normally you need full charging amps to get it all done in the two hours.

So that means where before LFPs (at outside ambient temps) would not work for winter camping here even though temps are not below freezing, now they could work under the new charging specs.

That still leaves the other considerations for choosing LFPs such as cost and age of the buyer. ( If you are 80 you don't care about 3000 cycles; outlasting the FLAs you have would be good! [emoticon] )

* This post was edited 12/31/21 01:18pm by BFL13 *


1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/31/21 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:


Do all the EV’s sold in the Great White North come with SiO2 battery packs?

[emoticon][emoticon]


I expect they come with a group 24 flooded that is already sulfated.

Li require a lot of care, especially in the cold. SiO2 don't.


Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/31/21 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

I'll rephrase that and add in "most of canada". growing up in alberta it wasnt uncommon to go out on the snowmobilds at -40 and -35 cold snaps in alberta sask and manatoba are just the normal. heck it was tickling -35 at work in BC this last week. I understand his delema as he uses his rv for a travling hotel for his work, but his insistance that LI won't work is the issue.

they won't work because he doesnt want them to, is more the answer. with the small size capability he could easily build his own for far cheeper than the SIO2 end up with 3 times the capacity in the summer and about 6 times the capacity at -40.

because of the smaller form factor he could put ridgid foam lining the whole battery tray and put a few 12V heating pads on them. so before he leaves home the batteries would be warm and then driving the coach stays warm, not going to tell me he doesnt use a block heater at thoes temps or the old coach would never start.

if this coach is so highly modified, why is he afraid to do another for the purpose of giving him the most available power possible... we'll never know


I agree with the 2nd part...he simply doesn't want them to work...for whatever reason, we probably will never know.

But the vast majority of Canada's population lives in areas no colder than Michigan and the Canadians we know largely put them away come winter. Not saying it can't be done but it's really unusual to be out boondocking in those temps...even if snowmobiling, most people are typically connecting to grid power, so a big battery bank is not critical.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/01/22 12:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Valhalla,

I need to be able to take my RV out of storage and drive it, with full battery banks. Since I need the batteries to work in the -30 area only one Li format would work. If you wish to donate "to the cause" then send me funds to buy them, I'd be quite pleased to accept.

I am not willing to put any large capacity battery of any chemistry in the living quarters, because I believe it is a safety issue. If others wish to do so that is their affair. It is -34 C where my RV is right now, and it did get to -41.

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2020

View Profile



Posted: 01/01/22 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DANG, people, forget all this battery talk. We're talking 40 below here. How about someone explain why a person with good sense would endure such wretched temperatures in the first place??? Since we have the choice to live pretty much anywhere we please . . . WHY? [emoticon]


. . . never confuse education with intelligence

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/01/22 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

DANG, people, forget all this battery talk. We're talking 40 below here. How about someone explain why a person with good sense would endure such wretched temperatures in the first place??? Since we have the choice to live pretty much anywhere we please . . . WHY? [emoticon]

Because we can! [emoticon] That's why. It's fun, it's challenging, it's a mission. We are Canadian, we don't wimp out just because there's a chill in the air![emoticon]

It's not for everyone, it's for a few of the hardy. There is an element of satisfaction that comes from braving the elements, and winning against the odds, making it work.
It's a purpose that, if we have to explain it, then people just don't understand.

I was FT for 2 Alberta winters in a 3 season TT. I made it work. Yes, it was difficult, but that's part of what made it fun. Given the chance, I would do it again.

Don is far better prepared than I was, and I got a lot of excellent sound advice from him when I ran into tough hurdles. Things like my fridge freezing up and conking out. He gave me a workaround.

It's like skydiving. People ask me why I would jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Because I can, that's why. The view up there is great!

Don has me beat by a few degrees for coldest temperature endured in an RV. I secretly want to hook up and head north into minus 40 to beat his best! [emoticon]


2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Site is live, finally launched Aug 22, 2021 @ 6:53 PM
.


RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2020

View Profile



Posted: 01/01/22 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

DANG, people, forget all this battery talk. We're talking 40 below here. How about someone explain why a person with good sense would endure such wretched temperatures in the first place??? Since we have the choice to live pretty much anywhere we please . . . WHY? [emoticon]

Because we can! [emoticon] That's why. It's fun, it's challenging, it's a mission. We are Canadian, we don't wimp out just because there's a chill in the air![emoticon]

It's not for everyone, it's for a few of the hardy. There is an element of satisfaction that comes from braving the elements, and winning against the odds, making it work.
It's a purpose that, if we have to explain it, then people just don't understand.

I was FT for 2 Alberta winters in a 3 season TT. I made it work. Yes, it was difficult, but that's part of what made it fun. Given the chance, I would do it again.

Don is far better prepared than I was, and I got a lot of excellent sound advice from him when I ran into tough hurdles. Things like my fridge freezing up and conking out. He gave me a workaround.

It's like skydiving. People ask me why I would jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Because I can, that's why. The view up there is great!

Don has me beat by a few degrees for coldest temperature endured in an RV. I secretly want to hook up and head north into minus 40 to beat his best! [emoticon]


Fun? OK, if you say so. Challenging? Indeed.

After reading what the Cleveland clinic has to say about breathing ultra-cold air, and the toll it takes on vital organs, I'll choose to "wimp out", use my common sense, and 'get outta Dodge!'

I grew up in southeastern lower Michigan, and when I graduated college, I headed south and never turned back. And of course, it never got anywhere near -40 degrees in that part of Michigan -- that's crazy cold!!

I like skydiving too!! But it's an event, not a lifestyle.

I guess to each his own, but nobody will ever convince me that such frigid cold temperatures are harmless.

2oldman

Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/01/22 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

I guess to each his own, but nobody will ever convince me that such frigid cold temperatures are harmless.
I spent February in Fairbanks AK in the 1980s. As a jogger I found I could only do that at 0° with a face covering. At temperatures below that it was impossible as I could feel my throat start to burn.

* This post was last edited 01/01/22 10:57am by 2oldman *   View edit history

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/01/22 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:


I guess to each his own, but nobody will ever convince me that such frigid cold temperatures are harmless.

That's the beauty of us all being different. We all have our outlooks and attitudes. Nobody is wrong and nobody is right. It's our own choices. [emoticon]
I used to have a sign over a doorway in my house that read "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up far too much space"
I personally love a challenge, anything to get out of my comfort zone.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > this is why
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.