cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wind noise question

tomasball
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting used to my 2000 Four Winds. The chassis is Econoline 450. I was driving along wondering if the wind noise I was hearing coming from the passenger's side was unavoidable, when it suddenly stopped. Like a door closing. After a while it started again just as suddenly. I was on a long trip, and as I went the whooshing started and stopped randomly, with no link I could see to anything I was doing. I have a little trouble localizing it other than it seems to be happening behind the dashboard on the passenger side.
12 REPLIES 12

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
I had an occasional tapping and found the awning strap the culprit.
Dishes I used paper towels or small towels in between the pots and pans. It was pleasantly quiet after that.
Now you are getting into general interior noises.

It took me years to chase down all the odd noises and rattles. One that was most difficult to quiet down was our microwave oven. The back side of it inside the cabinet, flopped vertically with significant road imperfections. I must have done real good because people who know typical class Cs, are impressed riding in our rig.

Generally speaking, a class B+ will have a lot less front cab wind noise than a typical C with the overhead bunk. The frontal overhang funnels air around to the side doors where the blunt house walls get in the way of allowing the extra air to pass smoothly. Our rig SEEN HERE addresses the worst of that condition.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
I had a similar issue with my C but knew the cause, itโ€™s a routine thing to a pilot.

Itโ€™s the crosswind effect. When the airflow is head on there is equal pressure on both sides, but when the wind is favouring the drivers side there is increased pressure on that door, but also a corresponding lack of pressure (in fact a slight vacuum) on the passenger door. The physical layout of the front doors means the upper portion is pretty easy to pull away from the body.

In many cases just opening a roof vent will create a lower pressure on the inside of the RV and help equalize the pressure on the door.

Yes, once I opened the vent in the bathroom my weird noises went away. i had an occasional tapping and found the awning strap the culprit.
Dishes i used paper towels or small towels in between the pots and pans. It was pleasantly quiet after that.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a similar issue with my C but knew the cause, itโ€™s a routine thing to a pilot.

Itโ€™s the crosswind effect. When the airflow is head on there is equal pressure on both sides, but when the wind is favouring the drivers side there is increased pressure on that door, but also a corresponding lack of pressure (in fact a slight vacuum) on the passenger door. The physical layout of the front doors means the upper portion is pretty easy to pull away from the body.

In many cases just opening a roof vent will create a lower pressure on the inside of the RV and help equalize the pressure on the door.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:
winnietrey wrote:
I think it may have to do with, direction of travel, and direction of the prevailing wind and speed. Seems if conditions are just right it will form a vortex and you will get the noise.

Ditto. It happens to my Prius this way.

X3, I think awning arms play into it too.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
winnietrey wrote:
I think it may have to do with, direction of travel, and direction of the prevailing wind and speed. Seems if conditions are just right it will form a vortex and you will get the noise.

Ditto. It happens to my Prius this way.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could it be the entrance door ? Mine is right behind the passenger seat and that door leaks air. Sitting in the drivers seat, it sounds like its coming from the passenger seat but it isn't.

jhlady
Explorer
Explorer
Check the joint between the overhead bunk area and the chassis. I had an older Class C start to come apart coming across New Mexico as it would turn out. Had to re-rivet it with heavier and longer rivets all the way around. Steamed to be much better afterwards, but have since traded it off. Hope this helps.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I chased a similar noise in my brand new rv for about 2 1/2 years. It would come and go randomly and kind of sounded like someone blowing over an empty soda bottle and some times like a high pitched sorta squeal. Turns out it was coming from my galley sink drain. This would happen if the p trap would somehow get emptied and the air blowing across the vent in the roof while I was traveling at about 55-60mph. Solution? always keep the sink drain plug screwed down tight.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I can only sympathize. I have an MDT (truck) and sometimes it's quiet, and sometimes it's like the window is open. Never have been able to pinpoint anything. The only remedy is wearing Bose headphones.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

tomasball
Explorer
Explorer
AC was on, but I experimented with turning it off or changing mode, and it didn't seem to make a difference.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Was your AC or heat on? Perhaps something opening/closing, fan, vent, whistle with your heat or AC - either in the dash or the house. Maybe radiator or transmission cooler clicking on and off.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS