cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bahia Kino?

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
We will be driving into Mexico in about a week via Nogales to spend the winter months. We will likely camp in Bahia Kino so won't need a car permit.

How is the border crossing nowadays? Delays?

Any delays to get the 180 day permit south of Nogales?

Having never visited Bahia Kino, any recommendations for RV park? I like Islandia's website but they haven't returned my email nor does their phone number seem to work. We like that location because it's on the beach and walking distance to the old town.

Thanks! Jorn
13 REPLIES 13

Talleyho69
Don't you just love finding a new place, exploring it and finding what you need, and don't need but do? Love Mexico!

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds fantastic! Maybe you could post a picture or two!
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a quick follow-up to my question at the end of 2021: We crossed on Jan 1 in Nogales. It was extremely quiet (thanks to Dec 31 New Year's eve celebrations no doubt). Also no lines to get our tourist cards; it took 10 minutes total. I liked that you can now pay your entry fee via credit card right there; no need to leave the migracion office to go pay at the bank and return.

So, we've been staying at Kino Bay RV Park in Kino Nuevo for almost a month now. Very quiet with the exception of some construction work across the road where a new condo building is going up. Kunkaak and all the other RV parks are closed with the exception of Islandia in Kino Viejo. We checked it out but they didn't have a good available spot for our trailer.

We're getting settled as we learned when and where to get Pollo Asado, fresh bread (every Wed. and Sat. at Islandia where Mohamed bakes), car repair (at Eric right outside of Islandia), etc. No need to go to Miguel Alleman or Hermosillo for groceries as we find all we need at the local grocery stores (Mediterraneo on the main road when entering Kino Viejo and another large store on the road to Islandia, also in Kino Viejo). Also lots of activities at the Club Deportivo next to the Kino Bay RV park.

Good food, good weather, friendly people, affordable!

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Yes a long while ago. About 2001-2002 when we stayed at La Caverna. Good restaurant also in/near that location the last we were there. How time flies!!! Keep trying to return but just has not worked out.

rocmoc n SoutWestUSA
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Heck, The aduaneros are even afraid of our cat!!

Belgique: I do remember that your wife( may she rest in peace) prepared us a Zagat rated meal!!!

Talleyho69
We have had the same experiences with our two weimaraners. They would be seen through the windshield, and very occasionally it appeared that someone would dare someone to have the door opened. Two big dogs, one terrified person.

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Moisheh: "Belgique: You should come back for a stay!! I still remember when we first met in person. You had 2 HUGE dogs. Or maybe it was one extra huge dog!"

Wrongo: THREE Huge ones (Choc Lab, Bouvier, Newfie) (300 pounds of dogs) and, 2 kittens. One kitten decided he liked Islandia so much that he disappeared. We waited a few days and had to press on to PV. Half way there Islandia called and said he was in a shed and no one could get to him but they would feed him and we should continue our trip and get him on our return. We did and you saw him and his brother during your visit with us in NC years later. He disappeared again several years ago in Perry but his brother is still with us. One thing about the dogs: we sailed through check points because they would open the door, see all 3 staring at them and then wave us on. Good times! Never know where/when we'll show up.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
" the times they are a changing" The park Rocmoc referred to was
La Caverna. Closed many years ago and now is the site of one of the many condos and hotels being built. 2 other parks on the beach in New Kino are becoming rental or sales condos.. Since we left in March of 2020 there is a huge construction boom, Apartments for rent are all over New Kino. Some are actually quite nice. The focus is on the new middle class Mexican. They seem to have $$$ to spend. The entire area is returning to it's Mexican roots. The park behind Kino Bay where we stayed in Kino is Kunkaak. Family owned. One of the brothers died and family feuds led to complete closure. It is sitting there empty and rotting. What a shame. Belgique: You should come back for a stay!! I still remember when we first met in person. You had 2 HUGE dogs. Or maybe it was one extra huge dog!

Happy New Year to everyone. Watch out for stray bullets.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
There use to be another park behind Kino Bay RV park that we liked very much also. Have stayed at all three parks and would stay at all three again. Kino Bay RV was always the easiest to get a site in and navigate. Islandia is the most difficult! The best was the park that is long gone that was on the beach in front of Kino Bay RV. We camped on the BEACH with the motorhome!

rocmoc n SouthWestUSA / Baja&RockyPoint next winter
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
This Moisheh post is very similar to one I got almost 15 years ago on our maiden voyage to Kino etc. It was spot on and greatly alleviated normal apprehension. He helped us throughout our trip down the coast and we've remained friends all this time. Happy New Year Moisheh and your wonderful bride!
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks! Message sent.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. There is actually one new to Mexico traveler. I am only too glad to help. Depending on when you are crossing there may be delays. Currently many Mexicans that live in the USA are returning to their home country for Xmas and New years. Should taper off by the end of this week. You do not need a car permit but will need to get an FMM. If you are staying less than 7 days it is free. Otherwise around $10.00. Make sure you tell the agent how long you are staying. I can recommend 2 parks. Depends on what you are seeking. For a true Mexico experience Islandia is OK. It is located in Old Kino is very rustico( this can translate to very crude or basic!). It is on the beach but spaces are not wanterfront. Full hookups but likely 15 amp. Lots of old timers with old units.Short walk to the old Town. New Kino is mostly Mexicans but also Americans and few Canadians. Kino Bay RV park is a modern facility. Mostly 30 amp and full hookups. They have some sort of WiFi. Well kept park with nice bathrooms, newer clubhouse. many regulars but friendly people. You are not on the water. It is across the street. For a newbie that would be my choice. Turn on private messages in this forum and I will send you my phone number and email. Would be glad to meet you in person and answer any quaestions. BTW: If you are a water person it is too cold for swimming.

Talleyho69
Fortunately for you, one of our very active members lives in Bahia Kino. He is currently there, is a great guy, and will be able to provide you with everything you want to know and more.

Moisheh? You are on!