cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reese Sidewinder

mxdad777
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Duramax standard bed truck that I pull a Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS with. I have a non sliding B&W hitch and have never had any issues with clearance. It gets close occasionally if I have to make a really tight turn, but no problems.
I recently bought a rack that goes over the front of my hood to haul my 14โ€™ boat on. This rack has a support that mounts to the bed behind the cab and so Iโ€™ve lost 2 1/2โ€ of clearance. Under normal towing conditions I wonโ€™t have a problem, but Iโ€™m not as confident in tight turns. I really donโ€™t want to go with a slider (too heavy) and so I was thinking of going with a Reese Sidewinder. Does anyone have any experience with the Sidewinder, good or bad? Iโ€™d appreciate any feedback. Thanks

2021 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
2019 GMC Duramax 4x4

6 REPLIES 6

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Sidewinder. Like it, easier to back up.
Make sure that the "universal adapter" fits your hitch.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a used fiver with a sidewinder but I have a standard 8 foot bed so the sidewinder is in my scrap pile. Otherwise they work fine but you need a fifth wheel hitch thatโ€™s approved to use a sidewinder pin box.
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Should be GTG with Sidewinder.

I've no personal experience with a SW, but a neighbor of mine changed to one, with a standard bed Ford. He had a tight maneuver backing in his driveway. He liked the advantage the SW gave, even giving a quicker reaction time, as well as clearance.

Jerry

mxdad777
Explorer
Explorer
I already have the B&W in the most rearward position. And yes my hitch is the factory GM 4 point attachment. This is why Iโ€™m thinking the Sidewinder will be my best option.

2021 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
2019 GMC Duramax 4x4

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Your B&W hitch is adjustable ahead/back, by relocating the arm position, or as said above, turning around. If you are already in the full rearward arm position, the Sidewinder will help.

Which B&W do you have? A Patriot on rails will work. If the Companion for GM oem pucks, the sidewinder will work. If you have the single point attachment Companion 3500, it is not recommended to use the Sidewinder.

Jerry

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Have you turned the B&W around? In doing so you'll gain some add'l room
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"