Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2022 Trip Planning- Advice for Newbies
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

 > 2022 Trip Planning- Advice for Newbies

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2005

View Profile






Posted: 12/29/21 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even though we have an on-board genset in MH, I have a pair of Honda 2000 watt gensets. We bought them (wife) when Onan had issues. They are quiet but trouble some. Harbor freight inverter 2000 watt genset meets most needs. We run our gensets while having breakfast. Normally is enough to get batteries up.
Inverter genset
Yes, dry camping is without any hhok ups. Works for us as we travel many back roads, non-interstate. Slower pace and much more to see. Saves money to be spent on special items along the road.
Pump is 12 volts and works off rig's battery system.


Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker


jdc1

Rescue, Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/29/21 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

30 years of RVing without a surge protector. If you want to run your AC with a generator, you'll need 3,000+ watts. High end = Honda or Yamaha. Decent = Preditor or Champion. A lot of areas (Utah during spring and fall) get full fast, especially near national parks. Gotta have reservations well in advance for those areas. I just fill my water tank before I leave. I usually boondock on the first night of travel. Driving time should be limited...stop and smell the roses. It's those little out of the way gems that people miss that you might remember for the remainder of your life. Got a hobby? Check your route for the obscure towns that have something you are in to. My wife loves to quilt. Hamilton Missouri is nothing but a quilter's paradise. Yea...she made me go there for an entire day, even though it was 2 hours in the opposite direction of our travel. These are the things that make a real vacation more memorable. Slow down. You are retired now. No more having to be home on Monday to go to work. That 4 day weekend? Toss it. Take 7-8 days now.

Surgtech94

Midwest

Full Member

Joined: 02/17/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/29/21 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

30 years of RVing without a surge protector. If you want to run your AC with a generator, you'll need 3,000+ watts. High end = Honda or Yamaha. Decent = Preditor or Champion. A lot of areas (Utah during spring and fall) get full fast, especially near national parks. Gotta have reservations well in advance for those areas. I just fill my water tank before I leave. I usually boondock on the first night of travel. Driving time should be limited...stop and smell the roses. It's those little out of the way gems that people miss that you might remember for the remainder of your life. Got a hobby? Check your route for the obscure towns that have something you are in to. My wife loves to quilt. Hamilton Missouri is nothing but a quilter's paradise. Yea...she made me go there for an entire day, even though it was 2 hours in the opposite direction of our travel. These are the things that make a real vacation more memorable. Slow down. You are retired now. No more having to be home on Monday to go to work. That 4 day weekend? Toss it. Take 7-8 days now.


Not technically 30 years of RVing. We did 8 years tent camping, 10 years in a pop up, 10 years in our first TT, in October of 2020 bought our newest TT, 25 ft with a slide out.

Boondocking mush be staying/camping wherever ?

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/29/21 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boondocking/dry camping is normally considered as no hook ups, little to no site equipment, just you and hopefully just what mother nature put there.
As to the genny, inverter units are generally preferred because of cleaner power and they are quieter, if you want to run the rooftop ac while boondocking, you will need 2800-3500 watts. If you will not need AC most functions in the tt should run fine off batteries. lights (led preferably), tv if there is an installed inverter, and 12 power plugs should all work fine, and if you dont have solar or a genny to charge with, you can hook jumper cables to your truck and let it run for a half hour, while connected to bump up the battery.

Lwiddis

Cambria, California area

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/29/21 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven’t used my generator to recharge my batteries in at least the last 60 camping days. I have a Westinghouse generator but Honda, Champion and others are fine. Solar fills my batteries most days by noon or 1 pm and makes no noise to bother me or my neighbors if any. Yes, dry camping and boondocking are no piped water, no 120 volt electricity and no sewer. The water pump runs off 12 volt power, either through your battery or your converter if plugged in.


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad


Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 10/09/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/29/21 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK Surg...

You have a lot of answers here, but it is clear that you are off into territory that you have not charted yet...
You obviously know how to live in a TT, but you have never used what you have to it's full potential. You have a lot to learn, and none of it should be painful. You will discover some things that matter and some that are just small inconveniences. Those of us that were born knowing all about RVing never had to put up with this. (yeah, right)

We traveled with two dogs (one has gone on ahead) in a motorhome shorter than your TT. We only made reservations when we were headed someplace we expected to be crowded (like Yellowstone) or a rally (those kind of come with reservations). At departure we always had an empty black tank, a full potable tank and provisions for three days. I always arranged the first travel day as a late start. Sailing taught me that departure mistakes often happen because your were in a hurry to get going. You (like us) are retired now, so don't rush for anything you don't really have to.

First, about your new TT (in my terms). If it has a potable tank, it must have a water pump. This would be run off the house battery and there is probably a switch that needs to be on. Don't leave it on when traveling, if a tap rattles open, there goes all you fresh water. For the cost of the weight, fill it with good water before departure. If you have not used the tank, do a disinfecting pass before you do. Many use bleach for this and I use H2O2 and have for years.
You have a refrigerator, use it as planned. I am guessing it is gas and electric. Either way, for a driving day in most weather, it can be off all day. If you are carrying a lot of frozen food, this may have to change.

You are not practiced at long driving days. (4 hours isn't long) So, when you start doing that, look for highway rest areas to be "grass stops" for part of your contingent. Small city parks work too, but truck stops frequently have near zero grass. Carry the bags you will need.

If you TT is like every other new RV I have seen, the installed house battery is inadequate. You will want to both upsize it and get a portable generator when you get going. There are myriad of other things you can do to make travel both more simple an less demanding, but you will have to come back here and ask questions when you can put words to them. Then we can be a big help.

When you can fully understand what your TT can do for you, there is a world waiting out there.

For long travel, find RV parks for a single night is a serious PITA and costs way more than it is worth. When you get a plan started, come back here for other ideas. You have enough to work with for now.

Edit addition:
You sort of asked about Boondocking/Drycamping. This also includes Lotdocking and Blacktopping (and stealth camping in our case).
Boondocking is specifically (if you are to be accurate) camping someplace with nothing available but fresh air. Probably not even pavement nearby.
Everything else is Drycamping or one of the others. You still have now utility support, but there is stuff nearby. This is what rest areas, Walmart and other welcoming businesses are for. Why by the whole farm when all you want are a few eggs??
You might look at the Harvest Hosts and Boondockers Welcome sites for some ideas there too.

If I can be of help, I'm here a lot or you can private message.

Matt

* This post was edited 12/29/21 03:03pm by Matt_Colie *


Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog (one is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.


Surgtech94

Midwest

Full Member

Joined: 02/17/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/29/21 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

OK Surg...

You have a lot of answers here, but it is clear that you are off into territory that you have not charted yet...
You obviously know how to live in a TT, but you have never used what you have to it's full potential. You have a lot to learn, and none of it should be painful. You will discover some things that matter and some that are just small inconveniences. Those of us that were born knowing all about RVing never had to put up with this. (yeah, right)

We traveled with two dogs (one has gone on ahead) in a motorhome shorter than your TT. We only made reservations when we were headed someplace we expected to be crowded (like Yellowstone) or a rally (those kind of come with reservations). At departure we always had an empty black tank, a full potable tank and provisions for three days. I always arranged the first travel day as a late start. Sailing taught me that departure mistakes often happen because your were in a hurry to get going. You (like us) are retired now, so don't rush for anything you don't really have to.

First, about your new TT (in my terms). If it has a potable tank, it must have a water pump. This would be run off the house battery and there is probably a switch that needs to be on. Don't leave it on when traveling, if a tap rattles open, there goes all you fresh water. For the cost of the weight, fill it with good water before departure. If you have not used the tank, do a disinfecting pass before you do. Many use bleach for this and I use H2O2 and have for years.
You have a refrigerator, use it as planned. I am guessing it is gas and electric. Either way, for a driving day in most weather, it can be off all day. If you are carrying a lot of frozen food, this may have to change.

You are not practiced at long driving days. (4 hours isn't long) So, when you start doing that, look for highway rest areas to be "grass stops" for part of your contingent. Small city parks work too, but truck stops frequently have near zero grass. Carry the bags you will need.

If you TT is like every other new RV I have seen, the installed house battery is inadequate. You will want to both upsize it and get a portable generator when you get going. There are myriad of other things you can do to make travel both more simple an less demanding, but you will have to come back here and ask questions when you can put words to them. Then we can be a big help.

When you can fully understand what your TT can do for you, there is a world waiting out there.

For long travel, find RV parks for a single night is a serious PITA and costs way more than it is worth. When you get a plan started, come back here for other ideas. You have enough to work with for now.

Edit addition:
You sort of asked about Boondocking/Drycamping. This also includes Lotdocking and Blacktopping (and stealth camping in our case).
Boondocking is specifically (if you are to be accurate) camping someplace with nothing available but fresh air. Probably not even pavement nearby.
Everything else is Drycamping or one of the others. You still have now utility support, but there is stuff nearby. This is what rest areas, Walmart and other welcoming businesses are for. Why by the whole farm when all you want are a few eggs??
You might look at the Harvest Hosts and Boondockers Welcome sites for some ideas there too.

If I can be of help, I'm here a lot or you can private message.

Matt



Thank you everyone! Yes, we have a lot to learn for sure. We definitely don’t use the TT to its full potential. We might start out with baby steps, instead of a long trip(Michigan to Utah), we’re thinking about going to Hocking Hills in Ohio and Smokey Mountains

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

Senior Member

Joined: 11/24/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/29/21 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Load her up & head on out. No need to go overboard. If you bought everything recommended here you would need a tractor to pull it.

Keep it simple. A portable genny is good to have. Never know when you will be in a no choice dry camping situation & need to charge the battery bank. Solar is great for the hard core boondockers but for the average long distance traveler who only dry camps occasionally solar is a stretch. Enhancing your battery bank & installing a 1000W pure sine wave inverter makes life much more pleasant for using the no services BLM & other great camping areas of the west.

Carry some basic tools that you know can be used on the trailer but don't go overboard. Bring what you need to change a tire yourself. Roadside assistance could be hours away, even near a major city. Basic spares too. Fuses, lightbulbs, that sort of thing.

Push comes to shove look around the CG somebody has the tool that you need. Just look for the campsite that is obviously not a newb. Right there is your rolling Lowes.


Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Surgtech94

Midwest

Full Member

Joined: 02/17/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/29/21 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

Load her up & head on out. No need to go overboard. If you bought everything recommended here you would need a tractor to pull it.

Keep it simple. A portable genny is good to have. Never know when you will be in a no choice dry camping situation & need to charge the battery bank. Solar is great for the hard core boondockers but for the average long distance traveler who only dry camps occasionally solar is a stretch. Enhancing your battery bank & installing a 1000W pure sine wave inverter makes life much more pleasant for using the no services BLM & other great camping areas of the west.

Carry some basic tools that you know can be used on the trailer but don't go overboard. Bring what you need to change a tire yourself. Roadside assistance could be hours away, even near a major city. Basic spares too. Fuses, lightbulbs, that sort of thing.

Push comes to shove look around the CG somebody has the tool that you need. Just look for the campsite that is obviously not a newb. Right there is your rolling Lowes.


The 1000W pure sine wave inverter is a generator? Is there anything like adding another battery? Our TT does have the ability to add solar. I might have to check this out

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/29/21 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Surgtech94 wrote:

The 1000W pure sine wave inverter is a generator? Is there anything like adding another battery? Our TT does have the ability to add solar. I might have to check this out


No it is not. To make an inverter work, you need an inverter, battery bank (large enough to feed a 1000w inverter) and a means of recharging (often solar but it doesn't have to be)

The real question is are you interested in boondocking...if not, you don't need solar or generator at all.

While driving, you truck will charge the battery and when connected to shore power, the onboard charger will keep the battery up.

If it's just a quick overnight and you don't need air/con or other high power items, you can get by with just the single battery that comes standard. It's when you want to stay off grid for multiple days where solar & generators start becoming standard items.

As far as water, it's nice to have a bit in case you need to use the bathroom while on the road but unless you are planning on being away from utilities, no sense carrying a full tank.

As retirees, look to slow down. We shoot for 100-150miles per day and rarely travel on back to back days. This avoids a lot of need to stop frequently.

We usually have a rough plan a week out and call up a day or so ahead of time to make sure they have sites.

Also look at weekly or monthly rates. They are typically much cheaper.

Another option especially if only staying overnight is Passport America or Boondockers Welcome (there are some other programs also). These are discount/free stops but typically have significant limitations that make them unsuitable for family holiday travel but for full time travel, they can be used to your advantage.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

 > 2022 Trip Planning- Advice for Newbies
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.