cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pandemic in Mexico V USA

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
This is not a post to discuss the pandemic or any politics. Just an observation We left a week ago for Tucson and Quartzsite. We usually go for a month. Had a non refundable reservation. We got to Tucson just when the talk was all about Omicron. Began to get a worried. 75% of the Arizona population do not wear masks. No Social distancing. Dirty shopping carts and crowds. For 2 very senior travelers this would likely become a disaster. Quartzsite is a great spot. Lots of fun. Interesting people and lots to see within 100 miles. But with no crowd control very dangerous. Rocmoc warned me but I took no heed. ( Sorry Rocmoc). Yesterday we returned to Kino. All the toll booth people were masked. Even the 18 wheeler divers were masked. In Sonora you cannot enter an Oxxo with out a mask. Some of the small grocery stores do not allow anyone into the store. They have a take out window. We lost our full payment at the CG but are glad to be back in Mexico! Nuestra Tierra.
16 REPLIES 16

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
The psychology is quite interesting. Here in San Miguel de Allende with very few exceptions, all Mexicans are wearing masks in public, on the streets, on buses, and even in their cars. OTOH, the majority of gringos are unmasked.

Ah yes, human beings at their best. As written by Martin Luther in 1527 during a pandemic:

"I shall fumigate, help purify the air, administer medicine, and take it. I shall avoid places and persons where my presence is not needed in order not to become contaminated and thus perchance inflict and pollute others and so cause their death as a result of my negligence."

Five hundred years later, explain this one to me.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Ayn Rand:

"We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality".
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
rocmoc wrote:
This morning's local News reported our hospitals are EXCEEDING 100% capacity! We are not down.
What's not down?

An earlier post stated signs in AZ gave the appearance cases were down. Adding to my earlier post: Got an EKG two days ago and the hospital EKG nurse told me they were converting Reg beds to ICU beds as they were short ICU beds. That was in response to me asking why my upcoming shoulder surgery was being performed at a different hospital's off-prem surgery center. All elective surgeries are being performed outside of the hospitals if possible to free up hospital staff and rooms.

rocmoc n SouthWestUSA
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
rocmoc wrote:
This morning's local News reported our hospitals are EXCEEDING 100% capacity! We are not down.
What's not down?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Yes we live in Arizona and have for 20 years with no thoughts of relocating. Great place with great people and Aholes. This morning's local News reported our hospitals are EXCEEDING 100% capacity! We are not down.

rocmoc n SouthwestUSA/Baja&Rocky Point next year
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've been in CA for 9 days and see limited mask wearing, not doubting some places are "strict". Most signs are down in AZ with the exception of medical related.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Can you “carry on” masked?
Your choice. I would guess 10% are.

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Arizona, life is good. Heading for the Quartzsite rv show in January. Looks to be interesting. After that, heading down to Puerto Penasco for a bit.

Explorer II
Explorer II
My observation is I live between two worlds here in Texas. We live between two communities. 15 miles one way is a rural, blue collar community that lives like COVID doesn't exist. No masks to be seen in the HEB or restaurants there. 20 miles the other direction is a somewhat larger, wealthier community with a Krogers. Krogers takes all the precautions such as sanitizing carts and requesting masks worn. They can't require it. Masks are the norm in that community.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
It's encouraging to see such dramatically lower rates in all these places that take the pandemic so seriously and are masked everywhere they go....yeah....ok...
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

Talleyho69
We live in Zihuatanejo, Guerrero. You can't enter any business without a mask, and mask wearing is expected and done. Things have just changed so two people from one family can enter a store together, and no one under age 12 is allowed, still.

There is also a foot bath at the entry of most buildings and many have temperature checking devices there too. The two supermarkets in town have people who spray sanitizer on the cart handles as you enter, and ALL businesses have hand sanitizer at the entrances.

The issue here is that we are tourist town. The people from the US and Canada refuse to wear a mask in public, "I'm vaccinated. I don't have to." They are unhappy about having to mask up in a building, but have found that if they don't, they can't enter.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Ciudad Satelite a suburb of Mexico City and it is rare to see someone without a mask, my little 3 year old grand kid goes to pre kinder and wears a mask while in school and goes shopping with dad to the supermarket and Costco, they only let one person at a time from the family to do the shopping, in 2020 no children were allowed in 2021 yes with masks on otherwise no entrance, I guess that Mexicans take the pandemic more serious than other places.

navegator

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Can you “carry on” masked?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Indeed, here in AZ most of us are carrying on with our lives.