Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ins and outs of DNA testing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Ins and outs of DNA testing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the things I've read about is law enforcement
Seems a police agancy sent a DNA sample to one or more of the labs
Matched a suspect and obtained a conviction.

Another. "Would you not like to know if you have a genetic tendency towards Diabetes or heart disease? (I do by the way) Might be nice to know but I not want potential employers, or insurers knowing this information. For obvious reasons.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mikestock wrote:

I'm not trying to do an in-depth search. I have had s a cousin who did some of that and found out some information and the likelihood that my fraternal grandmother was native American. As I have said, she was born in Shawnee, OK but she never answered any questions about it. I think she was embarrassed about her past. My grandfather died before I was born and when I asked her questions she would always say, "you're Scotch Irish like all good little boys.". I am sure she was derivative of Cherokee or Shawnee, but she would not talk about it. Being native American may have been something she didn't want to be a part of.

I'm not looking for any other great revelations in my past like being a cousin to Davy Crocket or Jessie James. I am only interested in my DNA.

Problem is the tests aren’t very good at determining Native American ancestry. Your best option is to find close matches to yourself who you can identify as relatives of hers who know their ancestry.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/22 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Problem is the tests aren’t very good at determining Native American ancestry. Your best option is to find close matches to yourself who you can identify as relatives of hers who know their ancestry.

What you are describing is exactly what I don't know. Nobody left alive has any information about my fraternal grandmother. As a youngster, I never had any inclination to ask questions that I am asking now. I had only one aunt who could have helped but I never inquired when she was living. As I said, thinking back about what little discussion I had with my grandmother, she was never anxious to discuss her family and her husband, my grandfather died before I was born. After reading about how the Native Americans in Oklahoma were treated I can respect her desire to keep her past in the past. I feel she was Native American and the two tribes prevalent in Oklahoma were Shawnee and Cherokee. I doubt I will ever know unless a DNA test tells me.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/22 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I first got interested in ancestry when my uncle was contacted by a distant relative (4th cousin or something like that). The in-depth family tree that my uncle's cousin did sparked my interest.

Before spending money on a DNA Test, get on Ancestry.com or another site like it and start a free trial. Start building your family tree. You may be surprised what you find. These sites pool members' accounts that have public trees, so if you have a relative in common with another member's family, you can review that person's relative. If you can confirm they are related, you can add that person's branch to your tree, quickly expanding your tree.

Once you start building your tree, you will start getting "hints" about family members. These hints could be photos, census reports, birth announcements, etc. I was surprised how many census reports I found that had family members' names on them. As long as your free trial is valid, you will have access to these hints. If you cancel your trial, you will still have access to your tree and you'll see the hints, but you won't be able to view individual items. You have to purchase a subscription to view the document, photo, etc. So download these items while you are on the free trial.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Bluhorn

Sunny Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/22 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They do have their worth and it has been very interesting looking back on my Family tree. But for some there can be unforeseen consequences. Like finding out your Parents,one or the other,are not your Parents. Or your ethnicity is not you were told it was. I would have never imagined this to happen but two familys I know are going through this now.Even after all DNA was tested through multiple companies, the results were the same.You never know.

1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins Club Cab
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
2006 Wildcat 28RK
2018 Sunset Trail 210FK
Kodi the Wonder Dog!

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/22 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It was always common knowledge that we had native blood in our veins.
Fantasies,what ifs,and high adventure,was a topic of conversation around the campfire.
I started doing family tracing in the early eighties,and that nugget was the first one to come crashing down.
All the battles, conquests and adventures my native ancestor participated in were conducted on the grounds of county fairs up and down the East coast.
Yep,My native connection was a tall craggy faced white man who was cast in the role of a "wild indian" in one of the myriad of Wild West Shows that became common around the turn of the century!

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/22 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jkwilson wrote:

I’ve been doing genealogy for 25 years, and getting paid for 12 or 15 years. I’ve done searches for dozens of families, and at least half swear they have Native American ancestry, but not a single one did.

Have a question, and please feel free to PM me with stuff that you'd get dinged for in a public post.

My mother told me that my Bio-father,who it seems was a "Heinz" (57 varieties) included some Native American...

She also told me some other stuff I no longer believe but.. Well She believed it (Grandpa was born in the USA not a German Border Town but a German USA Town) (Daughter dug up HIS birth Cert) That's mother's father.

I'd love to find out for sure if your fees are not too bad.

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/22 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Fantasies,what ifs,and high adventure,was a topic of conversation around the campfire.
I started doing family tracing in the early eighties,and that nugget was the first one to come crashing down.

This is something to think about before you get involved in DNA testing. Before I tell our story just remember that these companies are doing this to make money. They offer up "free" or "reasonable" fees to get started. Once links show up it is very normal to want to follow up. If you are doing a family tree you really do need to follow up and then you will notice extra fees to get to the next step. Don't be surprised by this.

We all have a family fantasy and many people really don't want to change this. We have found that a grandfather who was a hard working immigrant was actually a crook who did time in a penitentiary, a father that produced and unknown to us sibling and another cousin with a surprise father. Personally I found all of this to be interesting and enlightening but others considered it an affront to their beliefs and wanted to hear none of it. So beware, it can indeed open some wounds and challenge not only your belief system but also can do harm to some of your current family relationships.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Ins and outs of DNA testing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.