Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Way to connect Champion LP hose to mounted propane tank?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Way to connect Champion LP hose to mounted propane tank?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
SFVdave

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/21 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was wondering if there is a way to connect my new Champion 2500 watt dual fuel with my mounted propane tank on my class C MH. I have tested the generator with a 20lb tank using the regulator and hose it came with. But for an emergency when I no longer have small tanks available, can it some how be connected to my 12 gallon tank on the MH. Perhaps some adapter and hoses can hook up to the extend-a-stay I have installed.
Yes, I do have an Onan 4000 watt gas generator on the MH and could use that. But it is highly ineffeciant compared to the Champion which can use only 20 lbs in 36 hours.
I was thinking that the Champion can be used for a day or so until my MH fridge gets cold and I can transfer food into it.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/21 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Search for the needed adapters, these from Amazon. I tapped into the high pressure side but low pressure adapters are available.

[image]

[image]

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/21 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's called Extend-A-Stay, you can get one at Camping World, or most dealers.
https://www.campingworld.com/search?q=extend-a-stay

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

RickLight

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/21 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tapped into the low pressure side. The key is separating the Champion regulator from the 'flow control' part. When done the flow part has quick connect male fittings on 2 short hoses. Don't get confused which way it mounts!

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/21 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Champion equips their generators for several different kinds of propane hoses.

One version has just a conventional high-pressure regulator on the hose (which feeds a second low-pressure "zero demand" regulator located inside the generator itself).

With this type, the original hose can be discarded, with the generator instead connected to the RV propane system at any point after the RV's regulator.

Basically, the RV's propane regulator takes the place of the regulator mounted on the original hose supplied by Champion.

Another version has both the high- and low-pressure regulators installed on the hose (in which case there is no other regulator inside the generator itself).

This type can NOT be directly connected to an RV propane system, since it would lack any means of automatically shutting of the propane flow if the engine stopped running.

SFVdave

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/21 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the extend-a-stay installed with the 2 ports for hoses prior to the MH regulator. The regulator that came with the generator attaches directly to the 20lb tank and has a short hose with a quick connect into the generator. Is there an adapter hose that I can attached directly to the MH tank and screw into the regulator input?

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/21 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If a search doesn't find what you want go to a propane shop and have a hose made. Or replace with the parts I posted above.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Way to connect Champion LP hose to mounted propane tank?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.