Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storing With or Without Full Gas Tank

rookie_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, Rookie RVer here!

It is best to store motor home with full tank of gas to prevent water accumulation when it will sit for a month or more? Of course there’s fuel additive added and engine ran as well as on board generator to get additive throughout the system.

Thank you in advance!
Darius....the "Rookie RVer"
U.S. Coast Guard Retired
"RVing....cause life's a trip"
18 REPLIES 18

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
If fuel is fresh a month or so there is no need for much concern, for over a couple of months add a bit of fuel stabilizer for peace of mind. Although it is rare we go more than a month, there has been a couple of times we went 3 months without RVing, I was more worried about chassis battery than fuel degradation issues. I do attempt to fill before getting home after a trip, nothing to do with fuel freshness, just to save the hassle before leaving on our next trip.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Water in fuel from condensation is a bit of a myth. Ran the calculations one time on a 200gal tank (in the boat). If every last molecule of water was transferred from the air to the fuel and the air turned over 100% daily due to heating and cooling, it would amount to little more than a few drops over the course of 6 months. The ethanol should easily be able to absorb it without phase separation.

I'm firmly convinced that water in fuel is typically coming in either with the fuel or from some sort of leak. On boats, it's not uncommon for the fuel fill to be on a flat horizontal surface, so if there is a break in the seal, it could dribble in over a long period of time. Less likely with an RV and a vertical surface mount.

I will agree with putting some stabilizer in as fuel does go stale. I also like leaving the truck with only about 1/4 tank, so in the spring once it's started, first thing is to stop by and fill up with fresh fuel.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Aside from the aforementioned prep for a bugout or other emergency, it is not necessary to keep the tank(s) full form a mechanical perspective. As mentioned, if one is worried about moisture a good ole fillup of E10 will handle a little water. Personally, I'd rather treat "a little" good fuel and fill with fresh fuel before use.
I quit filling up the tanks on (everything) during storage periods many years ago.
But I also have several engines that rely heavily on a certain octane for performance or to not burn down, so I apply it to all.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RodLyle
Explorer
Explorer
Fill it add stablizer

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
We always store full even in the season if we are down for a few weeks.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
We live in FL, so from May 1 to October 30 we are fueled up, propaned up, and watered up so we would be good to go if we have to bug out quick due to a hurricane.

Al

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
rookie_rv wrote:
Hello, Rookie RVer here!

It is best to store motor home with full tank of gas to prevent water accumulation when it will sit for a month or more? Of course there’s fuel additive added and engine ran as well as on board generator to get additive throughout the system.

Thank you in advance!

Water not so much (though it's always best)
Emergency use yes
Imagine you store with 1/4 tank.. Power goes out and there is no heat or refrigeration so you decide to move into the RV. Well you still have no power for at 1/4 tank the generator won't.

On the other hand with a full tank you have power for several days.
And if you need to "Bug out" due to natural or other disaster.. you good to go.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
Go look up you tube videos of gas tanks stored with ethanol fuel and low levels. I always to to fill up with non ethanols and full tank. To not allow moisture build up, never had a problem six months later starting it
Winnebago Access 24V

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Fulltimers wrote:
Non ethanol fuel (no alcohol) would be ideal, if you can find it.

Why?

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Non ethanol fuel (no alcohol) would be ideal, if you can find it.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only thing that would ever chase us out of our mountain home on short notice would be a forrest fire. We are prepared to be loaded up and gone in about 30 minutes but a big part of that is having full fuel and LP tanks. If a fire sweeps through our area the gas stations will have long lines and we will just be motoring right on down the road.

We have a couple of possible escape destinations depending on the location and direction of travel of the fire and with full tanks we can not only get there but upon arrival will be self sufficient. Like others here I fuel up at the end of every trip.

:C

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I fill it when it gets put away for the winter. It sits for about 5 months! I add a fuel stabilizer to it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
I fill it full when I come back every time.

Same here.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is the only benefit of ethanol in the fuel.... combines with water and it is burned off. No concerns of water in the fuel.