cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Retiring from the RV world

H___E
Explorer
Explorer
After 14 years of spending the summers traveling the US & Canada we have decided to call it quits.

I have begun to advertise the coach and towed vehicle for sale.
So far I have placed an ad in the classified section of IRV2. I will place further ads after the first of the year. I am attempting to sell as a package that includes everything needed to begin traveling after adding food and clothes to the coach. Coach will have full PM service and freshly cleaned carpet before I let it go. I still have to schedule that.

What are your thoughts on the possibility of selling the total package.
13 REPLIES 13

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last one I bought came with everything. Donโ€™t like Jeeps, sold it, tow set up sold also. This made the DP cheaper and we already had a Smart car and dolly. My 1997 40ft DP sold for asking price in one week. Both were top of the line, sold Winnebago Luxor and bought a Monaco Windsor. Good luck.

fishingbob61
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to see you go, best of luck.
Bob and Sue
51 years camping
2005 Fleetwood Bounder DP
2004 Chevy. Tahoe

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
The most important "extra" when selling a used RV is your maintenance book. You do have one right? That's the notebook with every receipt in it.....good luck...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well you could certainly try, many of the used class A rigs we saw from private sellers had a toad option, we have our own preferred toad and were not interested which did not come as a surprise to most sellers, all had no problem selling rig independently.

As for throwing in tools and/or other RV related items, again commonplace for most of the used class A rigs we viewed, we've been RVing for decades and already had 90% of the stuff. For the savvy, nothing trumps condition of chassis, powertrain, and roof when shopping for used class A rigs.

Although there are undoubtedly buyers out there that might be starting out with a used class A, the vast majority of those looking to purchase in that category have at least some experience in the lifestyle, throwing in RV related goodies may not impress them much.

Good luck, hope you find someone to purchase both rig and toad, anything is possible, particularly if properly priced for current market conditions. Whether it is wise to hold out for a buyer willing to acquire both only time will time will tell, let us know how it transpires.

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if you have anything to do with Facebook but I just listed mine with Craigslist and Facebook. I sold it in 3 days with 5 people waiting in line to look and every one of them from Facebook and not one from Craigslist.
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
H & E wrote:
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
Frankly I doubt you'll be selling a 20-year-old 40-ft DP to someone new to RVing. And, will that particular buyer want a Cadillac SUV as a toad? Certainly don't limit yourself. Personally, I'd price them separately, and also have a package price at a lower amount in the event such a buyer comes along. If you sell one before the other, no big deal. It's not as though you're trying to sell a 3-legged table if one sells first and you end up with the other for a while longer.

If it does not sell as a package we will keep using it. I do not want the problems of selling/storing all the other items individually. I would never sell the car first anyway. I appreciate your thoughts and you may be correct. I trust one day someone that realizes the total cost of setting up a Class A coach will be interested.

So, if it doesn't sell as a package . . . and you keep using it . . . you're not really retiring from RVing, are you? :C
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

H___E
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
Frankly I doubt you'll be selling a 20-year-old 40-ft DP to someone new to RVing. And, will that particular buyer want a Cadillac SUV as a toad? Certainly don't limit yourself. Personally, I'd price them separately, and also have a package price at a lower amount in the event such a buyer comes along. If you sell one before the other, no big deal. It's not as though you're trying to sell a 3-legged table if one sells first and you end up with the other for a while longer.

If it does not sell as a package we will keep using it. I do not want the problems of selling/storing all the other items individually. I would never sell the car first anyway. I appreciate your thoughts and you may be correct. I trust one day someone that realizes the total cost of setting up a Class A coach will be interested.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
list it on some site that appeals to visitors, like cruise ship staff. The cruise we were on this month had several of the entertainers quiz us about rving in the US and Americas.
I started a thread about it.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
any way you can message me? Have a young fellow looking for both. Here in Georgia. your location?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
I have thought of this also if I get to the point of no return.

I don't know if a rookie realizes how much stuff it takes in tools and the miscellaneous stuff it takes for upkeep. I generally buy what I need, within reason, for the MH rather than have to load up tools every time I need to go some place or to the 7 mile trip to the storage area to work on something so I have a lot of duplicate tools.

I figure price the coach at fair market value and toss everything else in a a bonus. Just put your cloths and food in and go. And I never park with less than 3/4 tank of gas. I'll even leave the toilet paper in it. If there is stuff you don't want that is what Craigslist is for.

As for the toad, we both like it but make me an offer.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully you will sell to someone who creates as many happy memories as you did.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Explorer II
Explorer II
Someone like myself, coming from the camper world looking to get into an A, buying the complete package would be a big plus. I know nothing about setting up a toad, nor do I own one. Turnkey is good.

As far as everything in the basement, don't look a gift-horse in the mouth. If it's something I couldn't use I'd pass it on.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857