cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-77 Between SC And OH in January - What to Expect?

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
I am planning a trip south in late January. I am contemplating returning north using I-77, mainly to see something different than my usual I-75 route. My concern is whether or not this route is subject to higher risk of bad weather, etc. than the straight shot of I-75. If anyone has experience with I-77 during January or February, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have driven 77 every since it has been there every couple of weeks. I doubt you would embark on any trip on any road where there is never any snow

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
Be aware that you have a big grade at Fancy Gap at the border of NC and VA. It's 4%-4.5% for 6.5 miles.....and going north that would be up hill for you. It's one of the longest grades in the whole interstate system. 77 through West Virginia is hilly and twisty too. Any snowfall would concern me although the interstate is usually very well maintained. It's also a toll road in WV. Depending on the weather boring 75 might be the safest route if you are towing.

Formerly from Michigan myself.
Yeah,I got a flat on that downhill stretch one time. Of course it's always on the side toward traffic. That was kind of scary changing a tire with cars and truck zooming past at 75mph. Most of the trucks moved into the passing lane but most of the cars passed by me about 4 ft from my back.

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
Travel I77 from NE Ohio to Florida a lot. Have had some snow in the mountains, but never any issues. They keep the roads clear. Biggest issue we've ever encountered is accidents that block multiple lanes. Is a nice scenic and entertaining drive.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just wondering how you get on I-75 in South Carolina?

As others have said... weather can get a bit more wintery.

lots of lefts and rights north of Charlotte, across VA and WV up to the bottom of Ohio. Think I-75 grades (thru Kentucky), with turns on the bottom. Need to be a bit careful when you "cut it loose" if you plan to run for the next UP grade.

Backs up a lot with construction near Statesville....then again, construction on the TN/KY border has been backing up for miles the last 3 times I went that way.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that you have a big grade at Fancy Gap at the border of NC and VA. It's 4%-4.5% for 6.5 miles.....and going north that would be up hill for you. It's one of the longest grades in the whole interstate system. 77 through West Virginia is hilly and twisty too. Any snowfall would concern me although the interstate is usually very well maintained. It's also a toll road in WV. Depending on the weather boring 75 might be the safest route if you are towing.

Formerly from Michigan myself.

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
177 can be bad at times. The worst is usually in the Charleston Beckley area. They now have US35 open as 4 Lane all the way to I64. We take that from the Dayton Ohio area. Watch the weather. WCHS and WSAZ are a couple of the local stations. Depending on where you are going in Ohio will determine if you stay on 77.
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the replies Matt and Ken. I have avoided this route in the past, earlier in the winter season, based on this assumption. Seems like it was a good one. Late January is asking for trouble I suppose.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I fully agree with what Matt says.
I77 goes through the mountains, pretty, but the weather conditions can change quickly, even over the next hill. I’ll repeat, watch the weather forecast for 3 or 4 days ahead and be prepared to wait it out. We’ve taken both routes many times but always I75 in the winter.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Super, having done both routes, the first thing I would say is get good weather information and provision for three days so you can hold up somewhere and wait it out. (We have had to do this.)

Next thing I would add is that 77 is a prettier road, but it takes you through the mountains of West Virginia. I can't imagine wanting to be there in the winter.

Be sure your camera is ready in either case.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.