cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to prevent Keirig from freezing??

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
It has been suggested that we run some whisky through it.
Is there a better way other than keeping it in the truck/motels for 3 day?
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek
33 REPLIES 33

harryjr
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30207130/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm
Harry Jr.
Southeastern CT

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bobbo wrote:
You would lose that bet. There are videos of how to fully drain a Keurig. It is not a simple process.

it doesnt work all the time either...... I found out the hard way.

nothing like flashing up the kurieg in the spring to a counter full of water :R
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Absolutely amazing that a topic like this could garner 4 pages of responsesโ€ฆ.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
You would lose that bet. There are videos of how to fully drain a Keurig. It is not a simple process.

You're right, I just dismantled one to see the inner workings after it quit. Seemed like it was the pump that crapped out, but even turning it upside down and all other directions, about 1/2 cut of water remained inside.
Sounds like running vodka is the cheapest/best solution. I think Iโ€™d substitute bourbon to make the morning cup of joe a bit more fun :w.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:

You're right, I just dismantled one to see the inner workings after it quit. Seemed like it was the pump that crapped out, but even turning it upside down and all other directions, about 1/2 cut of water remained inside.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bet if you turned that sucker upside down the residual water would come out.
Puma 30RKSS

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
magicbus wrote:
For those wondering why the OP lets his trailer get so cold while heโ€™s using it, it appears to be because when the temps are really low he stays in a motel. I suspect this is why he mentioned keeping it in the truck/motel for 3 days, probably while heading south.

Dave

Still, a Keurig is not so large or heavy that it is difficult to carry into the motel room on arrival, and back out to the trailer on departure. I would suggest doing so in a bag or sack of some kind so the motel detective doesn't think you are stealing THEIR Keurig when departing.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
joshuajim wrote:
pbeverly wrote:
In regards to the landfills, K-Cups are recyclable. All the ones I buy state that and tell you what to do. Peal the top off, dump the coffee, rinse, put with recyclables.

Now, do I do this? NOOOO!! When they make it easy to pull the top off I will, right now it is a PAIN.

I use a cheap no name K-Cup brewer, OK, it has a name, but nothing I have heard of before, that makes a single cup and pretty much sucks all the water out each time.

Unfortunately, being recyclable does not mean it will be recycled. Because of the drop in recycled material value, pretty much only cardboard, some paper, plastic bottles and aluminum drink containers are recycled these days. Itโ€™s not cost effective to sort the other items so everything else goes to the dump.

If you donโ€™t believe it, check with your supposed recycler.

Even plastic bottles are a hard sell now. Steel and aluminum is the only thing with any real demand.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
pbeverly wrote:
In regards to the landfills, K-Cups are recyclable. All the ones I buy state that and tell you what to do. Peal the top off, dump the coffee, rinse, put with recyclables.

Now, do I do this? NOOOO!! When they make it easy to pull the top off I will, right now it is a PAIN.

I use a cheap no name K-Cup brewer, OK, it has a name, but nothing I have heard of before, that makes a single cup and pretty much sucks all the water out each time.

Unfortunately, being recyclable does not mean it will be recycled. Because of the drop in recycled material value, pretty much only cardboard, some paper, plastic bottles and aluminum drink containers are recycled these days. Itโ€™s not cost effective to sort the other items so everything else goes to the dump.

If you donโ€™t believe it, check with your supposed recycler.
RVing since 1995.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
magicbus wrote:
kellem wrote:
Why would you be staying in motel rooms when you're pulling a place to sleep with a furnace ?

I donโ€™t have a trailer but do have a Class B. Generally when we leave for Florida the temp is 15-20 F. When we arrive at our first overnight the coach is warm and I plug in and put on the Truma furnace on electric. Even with this we usually stay winterized for the first two nights but we are nice and warm. I canโ€™t imagine dragging a trailer all day in below freezing temps and not expect it to be cold soaked when pulling over for the night. I think Iโ€™d sleep in a motel too! But Iโ€™m just supposing this is the OPโ€™s situation.

Dave

I'm not suggesting the OP should sleep in the RV vs.a hotel.
THat is a personnel choice. However my 5'er will warm up to be livable in a about an hour from freezing temps.
Unless one is in bitter cold the RV will heat itself up enough to be habitable in an hour or 2.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
Why would you be staying in motel rooms when you're pulling a place to sleep with a furnace ?

I donโ€™t have a trailer but do have a Class B. Generally when we leave for Florida the temp is 15-20 F. When we arrive at our first overnight the coach is warm and I plug in and put on the Truma furnace on electric. Even with this we usually stay winterized for the first two nights but we are nice and warm. I canโ€™t imagine dragging a trailer all day in below freezing temps and not expect it to be cold soaked when pulling over for the night. I think Iโ€™d sleep in a motel too! But Iโ€™m just supposing this is the OPโ€™s situation.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Run some RV antifreeze through it. JK

The coffee maker would be the least of my worries if my fully stocked trailer was subject to freezing temps.

If you must and talking one night stays, simply set your furnace on a low setting " above freezing ".
One night on a low setting will not kill a charged DC battery....I've done it.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
magicbus wrote:
For those wondering why the OP lets his trailer get so cold while heโ€™s using it, it appears to be because when the temps are really low he stays in a motel. I suspect this is why he mentioned keeping it in the truck/motel for 3 days, probably while heading south.

Dave

And you read the OPs post. I believe thatโ€™s what he was getting at, but generally his posts are cryptic open-ended questions. Not unlike this query.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold