Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: First front tire blow out....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> First front tire blow out....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/22 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloud Dancer wrote:

There is NO "sideways force of the blowout"!!!!! If you're referring to the energy that's released by the compressed air escaping,...THAT force is NOT organized,...it is NOT a vector. ITS direction is scattered all over the place.

Agreed, and in rereading my post, perhaps I should have rephrased that. When I stated "sideways force of the blowout" I was implying the resulting force on the motorhome due to the blowout! Of course there isn't a direct sideways force due to the escaping air. But after it blows there IS an added drag force which becomes part of the velocity vector of the motorhome. THAT'S what causes the motorhome to move in the direction of the blowout.

And the fact that we all seem to agree that "stepping on the brake" immediately afterward makes matters worse, bolsters the sideways force theory. Stepping on the brake reduces the forward velocity component effectively making the sideways drag forces appear greater, causing the motorhome to continue to move even further out of its lane. In panic, the operator (usually) tries to over-correct at this point.

In fact, if you think about it, if there was NOT a sideways force created by the blown tire (NOT the air leaving the tire, the extra drag caused by the deflated tire), there would be NO NEED to try to correct the steering. The motorhome would continue travelling in a straight line (Newton's First Law of Motion). After the blowout, there IS a force pushing the motorhome in the direction of the blowout. There has to be.

But I didn't mean to imply that the escaping air out of the tire was the direct cause of the force pushing the motorhome. I assumed that point was understood in our discussion, but I can see how it could be misinterpreted. Thanks for the correction. [emoticon]

~Rick

ON EDIT: One last thing I'd like to add which might also be part of the explanation as to how "severe" the handling situation becomes after the blowout, is the size of the rig. Many of you have DP's which probably weigh 15-20,000 lbs. more than my lowly gasser, and most of that weight is on the rear wheels, and you might even have a tag axle to boot. I believe all of that would go to add A LOT of stability to the vehicle under such conditions. Just the added weight of your rigs nearly doubles the forward energy of momentum of what my lowly rig would have. [emoticon] I'm just thinking that the very size of your rigs may help minimize the adverse effects on handling of such a blowout, and may be why some of you didn't experience as drastic an event as those of us in the smaller rigs will probably get to experience. [emoticon] LOL

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (26-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (21), 2 boys (22 & 19).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/22 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the example of the topic that is described in the beginning of this post, there is only ONE principal vector,...and it is of a much greater force than all the resistive forces put together. AND, the fact is that a front steer tire suddenly failing does not significantly increase the total resistive forces. I've concluded that what happens is that the rolling resistance of the blowout tire becomes significantly GREATER than the inflated tire. BUT, as long as the inflated tire remains on the pavement, it will maintain, or increase, its traction, while the failed tire will NOT. The blowout tire does NOT cause the MH to yaw. The other thing is that a resistive force is resistive to only the forward motion of the MH. In fact, a resistive force only exists due to the forward motion of the MH. And, a direction of a resistive force is opposite the direction of the travel of the motorhome. What is needed is simply the correct explanation of exactly what causes a change in the direction of travel of the motorhome.
I like things to make sense. Therefore, I suggest that a much better and useful approach to this subject(steer tire blowout) is to analyze why some drivers lose control and most do not.
The main problem that I see is that the readers of these forums seem to prefer videos instead of text. It takes a lot text to explain what needs to be explained. I'll do the video if someone will come up with a sponsor. One problem is that I'm not selling any products.

* This post was edited 01/15/22 10:32am by Cloud Dancer *

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/22 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure which is more humorous, those bashing the OP for how he handled the blowout or the OP coming back justifying his actions. Bottom line: The OP safely stopped his rig and everyone is ok. WINNING!....Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/22 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP stated he tapped the brake to release the cruise control and allow the MH to begin slowing down from resistance. I keep asking myself what would any of you rather have him do, allow the cruise control to continue to cause the MH to roll down the road, or should he let go of the wheel long enough to disable the cruise control?

Personally, I congratulate the OP for his quick thinking regarding the cruise control and plan to use that strategy myself if I ever encounter a front blowout and would suggest it to all others here.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Ranger Smith

Wherever the rig is parked

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/22 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is getting OLD

Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator N1JS . . . SunSDR2 Dx, Ameritron AL-80 Amp, Icom 7100
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> First front tire blow out....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.