Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: First front tire blow out....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> First front tire blow out....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
wallynm

Los Alamos NM

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have a TPMS and if so did it give you any warning. In theory ours alarmed after a 20% lose of air pressure. In your case this could have been instantaneous.

Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Ranger Smith wrote:

NEVER . . . NEVER . . . NEVER

Step on the brake with a front tire blowout. You step on the gas then work on slowing down without brakes.

Most vehicles I have driven, the only way to disengage cruise control and maintain a grip on the wheel is tap brake or clutch pedal. Would be willing to bet the OP does not have the 2nd option

The cruise controls on my F53 based motorhome are on the steering wheel within easy thumb reach while maintaining a grip on the wheel.

Most hands, the thumb is the strongest digit. From the time steering knobs where declared unsafe, anytime except the most relaxed driving, or tight low-speed maneuvering, thumb has been wrapped around the rim of wheel.
Note, I do not advocate hitting brakes when the tire blows, but a touch of the pedal to trip a switch is not same as hitting the brakes.
The OP brought his ride to a stop, with the dirty side down, and without hitting anything. No keyboard driver has a right to tell him he did wrong.

You just tap the brakes. This turns off the cruise without actually engaging the brakes.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

WILDEBILL308

FORT WORTH , TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree.
I had a front blow out on a class C and it wasn't nearly as bad as all the keyboard driver/rvers said it would be.
The most important thing learned was many of the manufactuers that use the cutaway vans don't upgrade the tiers. They use the tires that come on the rolling chassis. Those may not have the load carrying capacity needed for the finished unit.
Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All vehicles I have owned with cruise control had an OFF or CANCEL button with the same group of buttons on the steering wheel. Tap it with finger.

Blaster Man

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a right front blowout several years ago in our previous coach, a 41' DP, on a very busy interstate south of Chicago.  We were cruising at 60, with the cruise control on, well within the tire's weight limit, it was properly inflated and had not aged out.  We had just crossed a small bridge, and the emergency services driver thought we had run over something that caused the catastrophic failure.  When the tire failed there was a loud boom and the steering wheel started vibrating rapidly back and forth with a slight pull to the right.  I immediately tapped off the cruise control, did not brake, and, as we slowed, gradually moved to the shoulder.  The biggest problem we had was that the shoulder was very narrow, with a 45 degree angle drop off.  My Velvac mirrors had three lenses, the bottom was oriented on each respective front wheel, so I could see exactly how far I needed to get off the hard stand before I started down the embankment.  Even getting as far as I could into the grass left us dangerously close the highway.  Every 18 wheeler that went by, shook the entire coach.  The emergency services driver managed to get the remnants of the old tire off, and the new tire on, without removing the rim.

As I look back on this experience, several people have mentioned the Michelin video, where they preach immediately adding full throttle/thrust.  The last thing I wanted (or needed) was more speed or thrust, it would have caused more damage and exacerbated the problem.  At no time was I in danger of loosing control of the coach or was the vibration or pull to the right severe.  Attempting to accelerate or increase thrust never entered my mind.  The only thoughts going through my mind were drive/control the bus, slow down and get off the road.....as I inched my way off the interstate.  And that's what I did.

Here are some extra comments regarding the Michelin video.  It sounds good and looks good, however, all the scenarios are scripted with safety the primary consideration.  It's like a lot of "school solutions," every aspect of the demonstration is planned.  However, based on my experience, regardless of the physics, when doing it for real, I doubt it's merit, it just doesn't make sense.

2014 American Eagle

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

The cruise controls on my F53 based motorhome are on the steering wheel within easy thumb reach while maintaining a grip on the wheel.

No there is always a button or switch that turns it off and on.
On my first cruse (Dana now rockewll) a switch
on my RV. same switch
On my Jeep on/off button
There is always an off button.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Ranger Smith wrote:

NEVER . . . NEVER . . . NEVER

Step on the brake with a front tire blowout. You step on the gas then work on slowing down without brakes.

Most vehicles I have driven, the only way to disengage cruise control and maintain a grip on the wheel is tap brake or clutch pedal. Would be willing to bet the OP does not have the 2nd option

Most hands, the thumb is the strongest digit. From the time steering knobs where declared unsafe, anytime except the most relaxed driving, or tight low-speed maneuvering, thumb has been wrapped around the rim of wheel.
Note, I do not advocate hitting brakes when the tire blows, but a touch of the pedal to trip a switch is not same as hitting the brakes.
The OP brought his ride to a stop, with the dirty side down, and without hitting anything. No keyboard driver has a right to tell him he did wrong.

x2

Lwiddis

Near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/21 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve had a steering wheel cruise cutoff for years and still prefer a brake tap for quick cruise cutoff. Much faster.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Oldtymeflyr

Arapahoe Hills, CO

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He survived, that is all that matters. Say what you will. Congrats.

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

A steering stabilizer very well may have kept you from going into the oncoming lane! That could have been bad.
What electrical issues popped up? What was the age of the tire?

Explain what a steering stabilizer would have done for me, when I had complete control of the steering wheel.
Electrical issues. Alternator regulator failed. 2000 watt, whole house, inverter failed. PD9180 converter failed. 750 watt inverter for the entertainment center failed.
Tires are 6 years old.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> First front tire blow out....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.