Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: First front tire blow out....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> First front tire blow out....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/21 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12 miles north of Pratt, KS., on 61 Hwy, I heard a BOOM from the left front. Tightened my grip on the steering wheel and tapped the brake to turn off the cruise. I managed to hold the steering wheel and turned a little to the right but the coach still drifted about 3 feet into the on-coming lane. Then, as the coach slowed, it jumped to the right and I was back in my own lane. The death wobble was intense until I was almost stopped. Drifted off the Hwy until the left tires were just on the asphalt. Proceeded about a quarter of a mile until I found an intersection to stop at. I have a spare and the necessary tools to change a tire BUT the tire ripped my left front jack hose off the control valve. I couldn't lift the coach to get my hydraulic jack under the axle. Called road service and they had a service truck, from Pratt, there within the hour. The damaged tire and wheel was covered with oil, so I asked the service man to take it to his shop and dismount the tire and wipe down the wheel. Didn't want that oily mess in the storage bay.
Not only did I blow a tire, the shaking caused some electrical issue. We decided to turn around and head back home (Gladstone, MO), instead of proceeding on to Quartzsite. That was about a 600 mile turn around. I will go to the hydraulic shop tomorrow and have a new hose made for the LF jack. New tires are here and all I need to do is dismount the tires & wheels and go use my friends tire machine and balancer.
Now before we go to talking about a Steer Safe, I did not lose control of the steering wheel. So a Steer Safe would have been of no help.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/21 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to hear you are all ok.

Any idea why the tire failed?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too late now, but you could of found a hydraulic shop in Hutchinson or Pratt. Tires are everywhere

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well a steer Safe might have helped by making it EASIER to maintain control. but there is something else you should do

In one of the forums here is a sticky "Watching these videos may save your life" or some such title..... There is only one video.. watch it.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A steering stabilizer very well may have kept you from going into the oncoming lane! That could have been bad.
What electrical issues popped up? What was the age of the tire?

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Ranger Smith

Wherever the rig is parked

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/21 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NEVER . . . NEVER . . . NEVER

Step on the brake with a front tire blowout. You step on the gas then work on slowing down without brakes.

Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator N1JS . . . SunSDR2 Dx, Ameritron AL-80 Amp, Icom 7100
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ranger Smith wrote:

Step on the brake with a front tire blowout. You step on the gas then work on slowing down without brakes.

Most vehicles I have driven, the only way to disengage cruise control and maintain a grip on the wheel is tap brake or clutch pedal. Would be willing to bet the OP does not have the 2nd option

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/21 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Ranger Smith wrote:

Most vehicles I have driven, the only way to disengage cruise control and maintain a grip on the wheel is tap brake or clutch pedal. Would be willing to bet the OP does not have the 2nd option

The cruise controls on my F53 based motorhome are on the steering wheel within easy thumb reach while maintaining a grip on the wheel.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Ranger Smith wrote:

The cruise controls on my F53 based motorhome are on the steering wheel within easy thumb reach while maintaining a grip on the wheel.

Most hands, the thumb is the strongest digit. From the time steering knobs where declared unsafe, anytime except the most relaxed driving, or tight low-speed maneuvering, thumb has been wrapped around the rim of wheel.
Note, I do not advocate hitting brakes when the tire blows, but a touch of the pedal to trip a switch is not same as hitting the brakes.
The OP brought his ride to a stop, with the dirty side down, and without hitting anything. No keyboard driver has a right to tell him he did wrong.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/21 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agree.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> First front tire blow out....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.