cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Router

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
I have a spectrum router, supplied by spectrum, not a great router. Can I replace the router with. Something of my choosing. We have started streaming, feel I need a better router

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS
17 REPLIES 17

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Busdriver wrote:
I have a spectrum router, supplied by spectrum, not a great router. Can I replace the router with. Something of my choosing. We have started streaming, feel I need a better router

ABSOLUTLEY.

I replaced my Spectrum POS router (They bill you 5.00/month for it) (POS... Piece of.. Somethign stinky).

With a TP-LINK Archer.

First I noted the SSID and PSK of the Spectrum
Then I did a factory reset on it (Id' customized the SSID and PSK

Then I logged into the TP-Link (They have an app for that) and changed the PSK and SSID for the 2.4 Gig band to the same SSID and PSK Id' been using with spectrum SPECTRUM### (The ### is the custom part) and IWon'tsay (the psk is not IWon'tSay) All my 2.4 GHz stuff instantly logged on and some stuff (printer, smart outlets) that refused to connect to the spectrum.... Connected no tribble.

There is also a 5GHA SSID On mine it is Spectrum###5 with the same SSID. I'm using it now.

And a GUEST account (2.4 G SNAFU.guest psk if you need it)

Everything works. Everything talks to everything. all good. and NO 5.00/month as well.

NOTE: many different brands of routers.. I do recommend one with seperate 2.4 and 5GHZ SSIDs.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMO, when choosing a computer appliance, one should compare CPU's, as processing speed counts: 716 MHz (Linksys) vs 1.7 GHz (Synology).

Wifi coverage is also important....1500 sft for one and 3000 sft for the other.

Wifi speed is also important....2.2 Gbps for one and 2.53 Gbps for the other.

For the record, I use my Synology RT2600AC as a stand alone router and additional mesh routers (MR2200AC) will be added to expand my wifi signal (I moved recently and still unpacking boxes).

Of course VPN capabilities is a huge plus for us that guard our privacy and it is nice to connect a hard drive to the modem--a very affordable NAS setup.

Yep, lots of options out there! Just do your research and ask your favorite nerd buddy for their opinion.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
I upgraded from a single point router to a mesh router a few months ago. Best investment I ever made. Until doing so, I had no WIFI at either end of my house, only in the center. Now, I have good signal in the yard 100 feet on both sides of my house, and everywhere in between.

What brand did you go with? How does the network connect to the modem? Do any have a CAT5 connection?

Linksys Velop Intelligent Mesh WiFi System, Tri-Band, 3-Pack White (AC2200)

The primary node (all 3 are identical, any of them can be primary) connects to the cable modem via CAT5 cable. I do have one peripheral connected by CAT5 cable to one of the slave units. I have an HP printer that has always been squirrely when connected via WIFI. A slave unit is sitting 6 feet above the printer, so I ran an ethernet cable down to it. Haven't had a problem with it now in months.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
I upgraded from a single point router to a mesh router a few months ago. Best investment I ever made. Until doing so, I had no WIFI at either end of my house, only in the center. Now, I have good signal in the yard 100 feet on both sides of my house, and everywhere in between.

What brand did you go with? How does the network connect to the modem? Do any have a CAT5 connection?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
theoldwizard1 wrote:

Spectrum neither designed or manufactured that piece of equipment. It may have a Spectrum label on it, but I will bet there is a model number on the bottom that will reveal the company that DID design and manufacturer it !

I know I am considering netgear however I seem to be fixing the issues by other means just now... The modem is ok (or so it seems) but the router is frequently a pita. I'e plugged in a 2nd 2.4 gig only router that seems to be very good. Save for one device that would not connect no matter what I did. and that's now cat-5ed to the router and working perfectly.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:
MitchF150 wrote:

I already pay way too much for Xfinity/Comcast cable/internet service... I sure as heck was not going to pay rent on their internet hardware... Sure, I have to rent their TV stuff....

No rentals for me ! I went streaming about 5 years ago. I use Amazon Fire Sticks on all of my TV. A couple have simple Over The Air (OTA) antennas.

No rentals for me either. I use Rokus on three TVs, have an Arris modem/wifi and have never went over my data limit(1.2TB).

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
For many years now I have had great results using Linksys E2500 router with my spectrum modem. YEP works for me.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:

I already pay way too much for Xfinity/Comcast cable/internet service... I sure as heck was not going to pay rent on their internet hardware... Sure, I have to rent their TV stuff....

No rentals for me ! I went streaming about 5 years ago. I use Amazon Fire Sticks on all of my TV. A couple have simple Over The Air (OTA) antennas.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
I think there are 2 different things here? A "router" is just the device that connects to the "modem". The router then has the extra ports and WiFi that you connect to from your devices (computer, phone, tablet, etc)

The modem is what connects your home to the internet from your provider.

Actually most of these devices provide a third function besides being a modem and a wired router. That is, they are also commonly a Wireless Access Point (WAP)

In the "old days" this might be 3 separate boxes.

Actually, some include a 4th function, a Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) adapter so you can connect your old wired telephones.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think there are 2 different things here? A "router" is just the device that connects to the "modem". The router then has the extra ports and WiFi that you connect to from your devices (computer, phone, tablet, etc)

The modem is what connects your home to the internet from your provider.

I'm with Xfinity/Comcast and they can supply you with their modem/router combo as a single unit and charge you a monthly rental.

I bought my own modem (Arris) that would work with them (after you spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Xfinity tech support to activate it) and then just got a Linksys router/wifi to connect to the modem and then to all my devices. It's also a 'firewall' as such too.

I already pay way too much for Xfinity/Comcast cable/internet service... I sure as heck was not going to pay rent on their internet hardware... Sure, I have to rent their TV stuff.... But, there you go! ha, ha...

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
My son in law uses a Spectrum issued Arris modem/router with his own router which resembles a deep space antenna array. How it's connected and how the Spectrum router was disabled is beyond my pay grade. So it can be done with a Spectrum issued or approved cable modem. We have the Spectrum issued gear in a 1500 square ft apartment with everything except the principal TV and a PlayStation operating on WiFi
Not a fan of the monthly equipment charge but if anything takes a dump, a 4 mile drive to Spectrum for an exchange does the job.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Confusion in the world or "Who's on first ?"

Motorola used to make a lot of this type of equipment. They were the one to invent the "Surfboard" model. Motorola as bought out by Arris in 2013. Because Arris bought all of the product already manufactured by Motorola they continued to sell product as Motorola Surfboard.

In 2019, Arris was acquired by CommScope.

You can find new/refurbished/used equipment with various labels on it, but the model number is the same. It was all manufactured under Motorola or Arris and has Motorola firmware inside.

For the most part, the''"se are still high quality, proven units.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

I am not impressed with Spectrum hardware or to be precise I'm negatively impressed.

Spectrum neither designed or manufactured that piece of equipment. It may have a Spectrum label on it, but I will bet there is a model number on the bottom that will reveal the company that DID design and manufacturer it !

You can replace either the modem or the router, or a box that is a combination (sometimes called a residential gateway). 2 things to make certain of :
  • Make sure it is on the Spectrum approved list
  • make sure it is DOCSIS 3.1 compliant