cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Axle Question

kcgaz
Explorer
Explorer
The bearings on the slide side of our trailer overheated and damaged the spindle. I purchased a replacement axle and installed it, but the new axle is much more cambered than the old axle. I know that axles flatten out over time, but this axle causes the wheels to angle in significantly. Is this normal and will it straighten out over time? Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!
9 REPLIES 9

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
No, but I replaced my cargo trailer's 2500lb axle with a 3500 lb axle, and usually the trailer is not that heavy, or never really over 2000. I put on Goodyear Endurance tires and they do fine with the tilted tires, no edge wear yet and I have thousands of miles on them. IDK why I did that as I still have the 2500 lb leafs... I guess I intended to make changes slowly. It sounds like your tires are more tilted though

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
kcgaz wrote:
Huntindog, I have not weighed it. I see you are in Phoenix too, do you know of places near Scottsdale to weigh it? Thanks Mike134, that helps knowing that it shouldn't damage my tires!
Not off hand. I have always weighed mine when it counts. Loaded for a trip. Cat scales are at many truck stops. Fuel and weigh all at once.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If your wheels have visible camber, it will wear the tires unevenly.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

kcgaz
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog, I have not weighed it. I see you are in Phoenix too, do you know of places near Scottsdale to weigh it? Thanks Mike134, that helps knowing that it shouldn't damage my tires!

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same with my trailer, new 3500lb axle has visibly more bend than the other axle. That was 10,000 miles ago so far, no issues with tire wear.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
kcgaz wrote:
Yes, both axles are 3500 lbs. and the arch on the new axle is high and in the center. I only had to replace one and the old axle does not have any arch. Is it possible that the arch has flattened out that much or do they sell straight axles?
Have you weighed it? All of your symptoms from the bearing failure to the no cambered axles, point to overloading at some point.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

kcgaz
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, both axles are 3500 lbs. and the arch on the new axle is high and in the center. I only had to replace one and the old axle does not have any arch. Is it possible that the arch has flattened out that much or do they sell straight axles?

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you have 3,500 lbs axles on that trailer. Is the new one the same as the originals? Is the new axle mounted so that the arch in the axle tube is high in the center? Does the remaining original axle have a bow in the axle tube like the new one or has it fatigued with age?
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Did you buy an axle with a heavier weight rating than the original?