cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing 1999 rear camera with newer tech and color

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
My 99 dutch star could use a new rear camera system. I'd like to use the existing wiring. Any recommendations ?
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS
6 REPLIES 6

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Just to add to my post above, I had a 1988 coach and the camera had been dead for years. I talked to the RVcams.com folks and they ensured that their system would work and update to color with the existing (1988) wiring. I ordered it, installed it and had issues. One call to them resolved my misunderstanding and the system was still working perfectly when I sold the coach last year.

John_Wayne
Explorer
Explorer
You can also check TadiBrothers for replacement systems. That's where I got my color back camera and color monitor they had plug in adaptors for the old wiring to new.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
wvabeer wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Odds are you have the small Clarion system? To use the existing cable that runs from front to rear depends on how many wires on in that cable. I seem to remember, just 4. So, you need to make sure that the replacement system has NO MORE than those 4 wires. You will find various options and one option may be the newer Wireless systems. The Furrion system can be just a rear Camera or spend $1000 and get the side View cameras also. To POWER the rear Camera, you just connect to the upper Clearance lights OR use the existing OLD Camera Cable and utilize 2 of those wires for Power and Ground. Doug

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Camera-System/Furrion/FOS43TASF.html

Yes, I have a clarion. I don't want to go the wireless route. Wired is more reliable.

The Furrion system, we have installed and sold at least 100 over the years and NONE of my customers have complained about reliability. Most of the Furrion's we have installed are on 5th wheel that with a 36 foot 5th wheel and then the monitor in the Truck have never had complaints. Doug

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
RV Cams

This, RV Cams.com Your existing wiring with all new camera and monitor. Great company with excellent support.

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Odds are you have the small Clarion system? To use the existing cable that runs from front to rear depends on how many wires on in that cable. I seem to remember, just 4. So, you need to make sure that the replacement system has NO MORE than those 4 wires. You will find various options and one option may be the newer Wireless systems. The Furrion system can be just a rear Camera or spend $1000 and get the side View cameras also. To POWER the rear Camera, you just connect to the upper Clearance lights OR use the existing OLD Camera Cable and utilize 2 of those wires for Power and Ground. Doug

Yes, I have a clarion. I don't want to go the wireless route. Wired is more reliable.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad