cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Road Condition West Bound into Cody, WY on US Hwy 14

snicky
Explorer
Explorer
From the East exiting I-90 onto US Hwy 14 at Ranchester, WY going to Cody, WY with a 5th wheel RV, is Hwy 14 ok?
8 REPLIES 8

Cougarnewbie
Explorer
Explorer
snicky wrote:
From the East exiting I-90 onto US Hwy 14 at Ranchester, WY going to Cody, WY with a 5th wheel RV, is Hwy 14 ok?

X2 West out of Buffalo. Beautiful drive. A couple of nice RV parks at Buffalo.
May All Your On Ramps be Downhill

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Bob I've done west to east on 14A pulling a 24" BP loaded car trailer. I haven't been in that area headed west since that time to take 14A west bound, but I'm now pulling a 38'BP. I'm wondering what are you pulling when your heading west on 14A

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
14A is closed in the winter. I would not drive 14 this time of year because the weather on top of the Big Horns can change from beautiful to OH **** in minutes on any given day, including summertime.
16 should not be terrible but I would check the weather before starting up.

I usually take 14A going either direction when I am in the area but in the summertime only. 6 years ago we were taking 14A from east to west in early July and we camped on top just east of Burgess Junction. When we woke up, there was 4 inches of snow on the ground. By 10:00 it was all melted and we went down 14A to Cody.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
The advise above is all very good. I have traveled all 3 routes and 16 would be your best bet. Watch the weather and the road conditions very close!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Roads and Routes forum from 5th Wheels.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Two additional feet of snow this week!!!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
ditto to Muskegon's advice....14 is hard on any rig. 14A isn't called the Oh MY God hill for nothing.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
How big is the 5er? How are you with mountain driving? If you are hesitant you don't want to do 14.
Most here would recommend not going 14 and definitely not 14A. It's a bit longer but 16 out of Buffalo isn't bad. It is mountain driving but nothing like 14 and 14A. If you want fairly flat towing go to Billings and then down 310 from Laurel