cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tires for 5'r

TnTtravelers
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to trade in my old 2007 Everest fifth wheel but found that my SRW F350 isn't capable of towing the trailer we really want, so I'll be buying new tires for the old 5'r to get a little more use out of it till I eventually upgrade my TV.

So, being that the XPS ribs on the trailer now are over 10 years old (still in good appearance) I should replace the tires on the trailer before hitting the road. I haven't been keeping up on which tires are most reliable these days so I'm reaching out for suggestions or what to avoid and recommendations on what tires to purchase. I'd go with the XPS ribs again, as they've been very good and reliable tires, but I'd hate to invest that kind of money into a trailer that will likely be traded in within a year, so I'm thinking I should go with a more affordable ST this time, but still want the most reliable ST tire available.

Thanks in advance for any tire suggestions. We're planning a lengthily road trip in a couple of weeks so I will need to get some tires ordered up for the trailer right as soon as I can.
Tim and Tina (kudo too)
Livin' good, while the livin's good!

2005 Ford F350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short box
2007 Everest 295TS 5th Wheel, Superglide hitch
JT Stabilizers;)
Firestone Air Suspension System
TST tire pressure mntr system
18 REPLIES 18

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have Goodyear LT E rated tires on 2 trailers and have been very happy with the performance, wear, etc on both. Will be replacing the tires on one trailer this year due to age. I will resell them on craigslist since they are a great LT tire and someone with an old truck can get a great tire for low money - recoup some of the cost of new tires.

To the OP - tires can look totally fine but after about 6 years you are taking chances. Best to replace.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
quality will go to a commercial grade all steel ply carcass tire like the XPS Ribs or the R238 over any ST C/D/E tire poly carcass tire.
Apples vs pickles.

Not good tires for a trailer savvy why anyone would use a a S637 Sailun load G/110 psi for that size trailer.
Kinda like recommending the 16 " load E XPS Ribs for replacing a 14" ST load C tire like we see on rv forums.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
joebedford wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
I buy USA tires if possible and never from a communist country.
I'm interested in quality not ideology.

So is he.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
larry barnhart wrote:
I'm interested in quality not ideology.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is a chart of the GY ENDURANCE sizes, load range and carrying capacities.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:

chevman

Good call!!! I 100% agree. Careful with your confrontational language you may get your post deleted. 😉

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Endurance get good reviews but you might not find them readily available"

I have heard this too many times. I have even called my Discount Tire Manager and he said not a problem getting them.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
While I agree that Sailun s637 are the best, they're overkill for OP's fiver.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Endurance get good reviews but you might not find them readily available. Sailuns were the best (opinion) until they were outsourced to Vietnam in 2020/21, and some are on the recall. Some folks praise Hercules and Carlisles. XPS Ribs are expensive, where the others are less.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Travelstar-HF288-Trailer-Tire-ST205-75R15-107M-LRD-8PLY/463070902

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Replace them with the same commercial grade all steel ply carcass Bridgestone R238. You get the same size and load range commercial grade tire as the XPS ribs but at a lower price. Their the tops for 6k axles and smaller.
Great selling point for selling your trailer.

The Endurance is just another poly carcass tire and can't be compared to a commercial grade all steel ply carcass tire.
If you go with a poly carcass ST tire the only ST tire that size/load range I would use or recommend is the...Providers..Carlisle HD....Endurance which are at the top in load C/D/E tires. These three ST tires have very few tire complaints.

The Sailun S637 is a Load G load range (14 ply rated) tire at 4080/4400 lbs capacity at 110 psi which requires a 110 psi rated trailer wheel. Way too much Over kill for 5.2k/6k axle .
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
TnTtravelers wrote:
I was going to trade in my old 2007 Everest fifth wheel but found that my SRW F350 isn't capable of towing the trailer we really want, so I'll be buying new tires for the old 5'r to get a little more use out of it till I eventually upgrade my TV.

So, being that the XPS ribs on the trailer now are over 10 years old (still in good appearance) I should replace the tires on the trailer before hitting the road. I haven't been keeping up on which tires are most reliable these days so I'm reaching out for suggestions or what to avoid and recommendations on what tires to purchase. I'd go with the XPS ribs again, as they've been very good and reliable tires, but I'd hate to invest that kind of money into a trailer that will likely be traded in within a year, so I'm thinking I should go with a more affordable ST this time, but still want the most reliable ST tire available.

Change the tires without question. 5 to 6 yrs is my limit on trailer tires!!! I like Good year LT tires and have had good service with few tire problems over the years.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TnTtravelers wrote:
Thanks folks, for your input.

GaryP, I do like the idea of "made in USA", hmm. Are the goodyears known for reliability?

There are simply no non road hazard blowouts on the ENDURANCE line of tires. Only complaint is from the people that don't like GY and will say the tread is too thin @ 8/32". I have a set on my Boat Trailer that are dated Summer 2017. They have plenty of tread left at around 20,000 miles towing all Summer long at 70.