cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional fuel tank

djcjc
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2021 Ram dually DSl mega cab just bought our first fifth wheel Jayco 347 BHOK which is 42 ft long last TT was 36 ft long so length behind truck not much different but would like to add a seperate fuel tank to the bed of truck looks like smallest i can find right now would be about 38 gallons which would be ok. My thoughts are putting in back of truck next to front of bed would like to run a line to gravity feed into existing tank with a valve that i could open when tank gets towards empty. With that setup I could run all day without trying to find a gas station with easy in out for this long of a rig. Hope would be to find stop for the night set up unhook and go get fuel without rig behind. Anybody done this or having any idea's on my thoughts. The big 50 gal tank is not an option for the megacab shortbeds.
22 REPLIES 22

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"IF" I were to add a in bed fuel tank I would NOT filter that fuel. Makes no sense if starting with a new tank. The fuel filtration on the 13 and up RAM/CUMMINS trucks is second to none.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ivbinconned wrote:
Grit for the tiny cost of an “in-line” filter and the costly repairs that come with injectors it is a cheap cautionary thing to do.
Regarding filtering from the pumps. From my experience, yes they do sell us dirt. The sooner you catch it the better.
I have filled at some stations where the flow is extremely slow. Why do you think that is? I’d suggest plugged filters drawing **** from the bulk tanks.
All my fuel goes into auxiliary tank.
I have seen dirt right in the fuel line fittings at the injectors on a Duramax.
You can’t be to careful when it comes to the need for clean fuel in today’s trucks.

What you're saying is you don't trust the OEM filtration on your truck.
No idea what truck you have, so that could be a valid concern, but really only on the small end of particle sizes. Appears you're using a halfway decent filter (4 micron nominal), but there are far better options for filters than a little filter like that one meant for gas engine cars.
What micron rating filter(s) are in your truck?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
And I might add. I have built auxiliary tanks for pickups from salvaged round barrel like aluminum tanks from the side of semi’s.
We cut them to achieve a flat bottom. Then use 3/16 aluminum plate for the bottom.
When we cut them open we find “dirt” and other **** that can only come from the purchase fuel at commercial pumps.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit for the tiny cost of an “in-line” filter and the costly repairs that come with injectors it is a cheap cautionary thing to do.
Regarding filtering from the pumps. From my experience, yes they do sell us dirt. The sooner you catch it the better.
I have filled at some stations where the flow is extremely slow. Why do you think that is? I’d suggest plugged filters drawing **** from the bulk tanks.
All my fuel goes into auxiliary tank.
I have seen dirt right in the fuel line fittings at the injectors on a Duramax.
You can’t be to careful when it comes to the need for clean fuel in today’s trucks.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
PA12DRVR wrote:
FWIW, when I towed a 39' FW, I found the added aux tank (mine was a 65 gallon) was just about the best investment I made for RV'ng. Since we would almost always go out to dinner on overnight stops, never had to worry about stopping for fuel and would just fill up each evening. IIRC, I had (based on stock tank, extra tank, towing mileage) about 1300 miles that I could go between fillups. Made for a very pleasant 5-6-700 mile day, which was about the limit of what I wanted to drive in any case.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a RDS gravity feed tank. This is my second truck that I have installed it in. Use their installation kit with the check valve. Works perfectly. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Been using it for 10 years.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
OP, my setup is just what you are proposing except my aux tank is 41 gallons. It measures 11" front to rear and sits below the bed rails. I have a bright indicator light that shows when I am transferring. Make sure your electric valve is on an accessory circuit or you may find you are transferring when the truck is off. I have the Fuel Shotz system which is safety float type shut off valve as a backup.

Most of my trips are 100 to 300 miles, we stay a week and return. I don't have to refuel on the road and wait until I'm home for less expensive fuel. After 3 years I figure the tank has paid for itself in fuel savings. From now on out, it is money in my pocket. The tank is a very good add, as I never stress about low fuel on the road.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, when I towed a 39' FW, I found the added aux tank (mine was a 65 gallon) was just about the best investment I made for RV'ng. Since we would almost always go out to dinner on overnight stops, never had to worry about stopping for fuel and would just fill up each evening. IIRC, I had (based on stock tank, extra tank, towing mileage) about 1300 miles that I could go between fillups. Made for a very pleasant 5-6-700 mile day, which was about the limit of what I wanted to drive in any case.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ivbinconned wrote:
Just be certain to install an “in-line” filter between auxiliary tank and main tank.
I use a 3481 inline filter.
It has threaded fittings on each end so you can adapt to any size hose you use.

What’s the point of that? Do you use an inline filter between the fuel pump nozzle and the filler neck on the OE tank?
Is fuel dirtier if you put it in an aux tank?
:h:S

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just be certain to install an “in-line” filter between auxiliary tank and main tank.
I use a 3481 inline filter.
It has threaded fittings on each end so you can adapt to any size hose you use.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
valhalla360 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Simply don’t get this get to camp after a long day and go get fuel. Simply hit the truck stops.

If you are doing back to back to back travel days...sure.

If you stop for 2-3 days between runs, not being limited to truck stops is nice.

Huh?
Would seem easier to get fuel if you were laying over for days because you’d very likely unhook.
Do you unhook every night on back to back driving trips? ( unless something requires you to like too short of site or can’t level up)?
Last thing I’d want to do is unhook just to hook back up 6-8 hours later.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well OP, 12V says you don’t need one, so, sorry, I know your question was not asking our opinion about whether you should get one or not, but he is the salt proclaimed expert on all things RV and Dodge diesel ( and Amsoil…), so you have your answer and the thread is complete.
Lol

PS he will also recommend one of those cheap plastic 5 gal diesel jugs with the enviro friendly spout that takes forever to pour…. That’s all you need for aux fuel…in 12Vworld!

fishhogg
Explorer
Explorer
Ck out “Transfer Flow” fuel tanks. I bought their 50gal./ 10 cu.ft tool box combo. Great fit and finish and their made in the U.S.A. ??

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Simply don’t get this get to camp after a long day and go get fuel. Simply hit the truck stops.

If you want more capacity get a TITAN 50 gallon replacement tank. Then you still have room for a toolbox.

What is DSI ?

DSI = Diesel

DS “L” is diesel but never heard of anyone using an upper case “I”.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD