Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tesla with a generator on a hitch haul

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
[img][/img]

Photographed by a friend in Kali, you just gotta see these things to believe them.

There is a charger a few miles away, but when he talked to another EV owner, the owner said that he would do the same thing just before leaving. It is for preheat and insurance.

The EV in the picture has had the generator running for more than 24 hours.

It tickles me as an old tick bitten Petroleum Engineer. Kinda, like a block heater on a diesel, but in reverse.
63 REPLIES 63

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
BCSnob wrote:

My next question is; what is the tow rating of this Tesla? In other words, should this topic be in โ€œTow Vehiclesโ€?

That looks like a model X from the door handles. So 5000 pounds. It has auto level suspension when in tow mode.

Depending on the year and model it has anywhere from 520 to just over a 1000 horsepower and close to that in torque. If itโ€™s the post refresh performance model itโ€™s around zero to sixty in 2.3 seconds. Pre refresh (2021) they were 2.7 seconds. Way fun.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
BCSnob wrote:
Does CA allow EVs use HOV lanes when there is only 1 person in the vehicle? If so, perhaps the owner chose the Tesla for another reason than their concern for the environment. This might explain why they have no issues with their choice for recharging.

My next question is; what is the tow rating of this Tesla? In other words, should this topic be in โ€œTow Vehiclesโ€?

Here you still need a sticker although they are easy to get. We didnโ€™t bother as most of the time there are two of us in the car.

I would think most Tesla owners buy Teslas for other than environmental reasons. Iโ€™m sure thatโ€™s also part of the attraction, but most Tesla owners we know buy them primarily because they are premium high performance sports sedans or SUVโ€™s. That and the tech and convenience of charging at home as well as super fast winter time warm ups before hitting the road. Different drivers, different preferences, different reasons to buy.

JMHO. Not an expert.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Yes and California also allows both EV/BEV & "plug-in hybrids" in high occupant vehicles (HOV) lanes

New up here in N Cal are toll commuter lanes with just the driver. Paid via FastTrack overhead sensors...Time has had them down in S Calif for years.

time2roll wrote:
BCSnob wrote:
Does CA allow EVs use HOV lanes when there is only 1 person in the vehicle? If so, perhaps the owner chose the Tesla for another reason than their concern for the environment. This might explain why they have no issues with their choice for recharging.
Yes. However this privilege does expire every 2 or 3 years.
Worst case they will continue to put used Teslas on the market for those that need a lower entry price point.
HOV is partially about clean air.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
BCSnob wrote:
Yes. However this privilege does expire every 2 or 3 years.
Worst case they will continue to put used Teslas on the market for those that need a lower entry price point.
HOV is partially about clean air.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
Thermoguy wrote:
Is that an AWD Tesla with chains on the back?
Why not? I put chains on my 4WD truck when needed.

We keep chains in the frunk of our model 3 during winter. Never had to use them yet. They come right from Tesla. Hopefully weโ€™ll never need them.

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
Thermoguy wrote:

Almost all AWD/4WD with independent front suspension can only be chained in the back, due to clearance with the front strut. Maybe ultra-low profile cable chains would fit in the front, but those aren't really effective.

Only my live front axles trucks can fit bulky chains up front.

Judging by the BMW i3's performance with range extender, even if we could charge an EV on the move, it'll take at least a 15 - 20 kW generator to propel a Model X safely at highway speeds.

Lifetime average kWh / distance doesn't factor short term elevated averages over mountain terrain.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thermoguy wrote:
Why not? I put chains on my 4WD truck when needed.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II

rtapia
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:
two things stick out in the thread...ignorance and people afraid of changes.

Yep. I've never figured out why people feel threatened by electric vehicles. Are they perfect for everyone? No, but neither is your diesel truck.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Back when we had a house, the power company always capitalized the 3 letters.

When incorrect units are used, it leads to incorrect assumptions (or presumptions as to what was meant)

Understood and applaud your effort but I suspect incorrect posts will continue especially for anything electrical. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Apparently Wikipedia has changed the capitalization. :B
The kilowatt-hour (SI symbol: kWยทh or kW h; commonly written as kWh) is a unit of energy equal to one kilowatt of power sustained for one hour or 3600 kilojoules (3.6 megajoules). It is commonly used as a billing unit for energy delivered to consumers by electric utilities.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
specta wrote:
Nevada County, CA has been without power for 10 days.

I wonder how those electric vehicles are working out for them?

They wouldn't get through the snow anyways...lol. Time to break out the Highboy for the real work!

But they would make a nice heated tent for a couple days!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Maybe this will help, Mercedes built Tesla killer
Range of 600 miles/1000 km.

Tesla sold close to milion EV a year and will sell more then double next year.
Kinda lame caling something that dont exist Tesla killer. :B

But hey whatever gets you haters thru the day